iOS 2.4.0 - Release Notes

Something I wish I could do on the dashboard…

Be able to control/adjust the dimmer slider with force touch. As it stands I have to open the device from the dashboard to adjust the slider. Currently Force touch views the device then a harder touch opens it. Would be great to be able to adjust the slider on the touch.

I am sure this can be done. Even if the force touch for dimmers just gave a slider up/down that would be fine.

3 Likes

I am 100% with you on this one! I want this exact feature as well and am working with the team on how to do it. Just to be fully transparent there are 2 issues to getting it working on the dashboard (both solvable but we’re trying to think iteratively).

First: The small sliders in device tiles currently suck. They are hard to use and be precise with. Combine that with an open developer platform for device type developers and you get more flexibility challenges.

To solve this one, we are currently working on a design that would move the slider interaction control out of the tile and display it full screen. This would allow much more precision and a better feel. Range and color features would be persisted. The tile that remains on the details screen would just show the current value it was controlling. We’d like to fix this everywhere in devices that current show a slider (slider tiles, lighting, thermostat, music player and slider control’s on multi attribute tiles). This will be done with full backwards compatibility.

Second: The current things view and favorites view shows the main tile of the device. Since you can’t change the main tile in the app we don’t know what slider you might want from the device type definition.

This one will take some more thought on how to accomplish it. I feel like the main tile selection is a different feature then what is showing up on your dashboard/favorites. We fully expect to iterate on the dashboard concept.

6 Likes

Great job on this release. What would be really cool is f you allowed favorites to be used for widgets and Apple Watch so you can see status of things easily and not have to use silly workarounds with virtual sensors for routines.

3 Likes

Just a heads up… After the update, we are still seeing presence sensor issues with using our phones. Also, we have both been randomly logged out. I was hoping both of these issues would have been fixed.

2 Likes

I just opened this thread to discuss and report the logout issue. Please take a look: iOS 2.4.0 Logout Reports

1 Like

Hallelujah! Finally, an app that works on the iPad in a sensible fashion.

I was not too bothered by the old app, but this is a terrific change. Thanks to the ST programming staff for giving us this.

4 Likes

@kleneau here is a “double” bug for device preferences, it no longer honors the defaultValue tag AND it no longer prompts the user that the required input is missing if s/he doesn’t fill it out. This used to work fine in the BETA and older builds.

input "rememberLastState", "enum", title: "After power failure...", defaultValue: "Restore last state", displayDuringSetup: false, options: ["Disabled": "Remain off", "Enabled": "Restore last state"], required: true

Let me know if you want me to start a new thread on the mobile BETA discussion forum to track these.

This is for device preferences (not SmartApps)

1 Like

Starting a new thread over there would be great for this one.

1 Like

@Mbhforum Yes, I agree, this would be good, but there are some technical challenges in showing real time status updates of devices on widgets and the Watch. Routines are easier, as they do not show status.

1 Like

Thank you for the iPad app.

1 Like

I have two locations, it would be nice if the app can automatically switch to the location I am in when I launch it. So I don’t have to manually change it

1 Like

First world problems

2 Likes

So happy you fixed tiny fonts on multi-tile!!! YAYYYYY!

1 Like

While I have never used it, the ihome app on the apple watch does have a screen for Room, Devices, and Scenes (routines). I might try it tonight and see if there are delays and how it works. I do with ST had devices on the widget. I set up my routines to be automatic, so I never manually select them. Devices though…those I do select at times.

While I have all my devices connected to ST, I do use the swipe up on my iphone to control some homekit devices (ihome plugs) as that is a fast way to turn them on/off.

HomeKit is a very different technical platform. Everything runs locally except for voice recognition. So status updates are much simpler.

Updating the watch to support favorites is on the roadmap for us as well? That’s why we recently update the watch UX so we could support the infrastructure. =)

1 Like

See this post on presence issues and tips to fix them:

This bug is fixed in 2.4.1. Thanks for calling this one out.

3 Likes

I tried to sign up for the beta program to get those bugs fixed before a general release. I believe that tracking bugs on random discussions in a forum might not be the most efficient way to do things…

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s the only way. I’ve been involved in a number of software/systems projects. And no matter what you do the test teams can never conceive of all the possible fail points, let alone test for them.

2 Likes