iOS 2.4.0 - Release Notes

Presence is just tricky. Several different methods will work great for one household, another household will try four or five different methods and have difficulty with all of them. There are just many different local conditions that can factor in ( including type of phone and phone settings).

@marktheknife , I never had battery issues with the SmartThings branded presence sensor, but I had pretty much every other kind of problem with it due to local interference.

Eventually I ended up using a two device method, the phone and an I Beacon, and I now have presence which works well for what I need it to do. But it took literally three or four months and a lot of experimentation to get it working reliably. That time was worth it to me because I am quadriparetic and needed hands-free response for when I arrived home. Other people have to make their own decisions on how much time they want to spend tinkering with presence options. And of course some people will find that it works great out of the box.

More information in the FAQ:

2 Likes