iOS 1.7.1 Mobile Presence Issues

I just emailed support as well. My wife refuses to have app update on automatically so hers works just fine, my daughters and mine are screwed. My daughter updated to 8.3 and that made no difference. As a test today while all 3 of us were out I opened the app to watch all 3 phones once we crossed the “fence”. My showed right away ( I think because the app was currently open), my wife’s then showed but my daughters never did. After we got home I checked my daughters by opening the app, it opened normally, and then changed her to home right away.
I am going to try to have faith in ST to fix this quickly, this is a pivotal point of our system and is now very frustrating by not having it work.
Everything worked flawlessly before…this sucks.

Worst part is missus and others (if any) thinks we are crazy… :frowning: may be a little but not by their standards…

1 Like

Got a response that basically said the fix is currently being reviewed by the developers and to look out for 1.7.2.
Hopefully this is promising and we will get it quick. I think I have been spoiled by how well it was working before.

I will add my name to the list people complaining about GeoFencing problems with the SmartThings app in IOS 1.7.1. It is unfortunate that the iPhone automatically updates applications sometimes, and a flaw this serious suggests that the developers do not have sufficient unit and regression testing in their work product. @support fail. I would also note that the app sometimes “locks up” when starting with the following screen:

It is a pretty picture … give them that at least

2 Likes

I would have gladly given up all the new features to just have it work the way it did. I even debated on turning off automatic app updates from now on but should I really have too? Shouldn’t this have been caught before it was released?
At least ST confirmed the problem and are working (hopefully quickly) to fix it.
I have faith :smile:

Didn’t Microsoft have something like this for windows default wall paper couple of years back,? I don’t see the recycle bin though. :wink:

I spoke too soon! It worked couple of times and it’s not triggering anymore! :frowning:

Mine double triggered today when I left home… Buy one get one free… :wink:

1 Like

Mine just cane back to life spontaneously, and my wife’s was fixed by a force quit of the app - I am back up and running. Maybe they pushed a platform update through? I still have 1.7.1 of the app.

I am on 8.3… iPhone 6. Missus on same.

Based on the reports from other people, more likely it’s just going to work for a little while for you, and then fail again.

This isn’t a one and done fix situation. It appears to be an intermittent problem.

Just wanted to mention it, in case presence detection working is part of a critical use case for you.

1 Like

I have also been having issues after the updates (ST app and iOS 8.3). the presence detection off of my iPhone was no longer working. I also have the “sunny field” picture issue. After trying multiple things, I went ahead and deleted the ST app, and re-installed it. Of course, I had to sign back in and it re-prompted me to use my location in the background.

So far all is working well. My presence has been detected every time…both arriving and departing…something that had stopped completely since the updates. I will keep you posted.

1 Like

It’s most likely going to work all the time if the app was opened recently and not locked up “sunny day”. So if you keep opening and checking it then most likely it may work just fine, but that a lot to keep remembering to do.
It sounds like the app gets locked up in the background at some point and stops working.

Yeah, we’ll wait and see - I learned early on that critical usecases are not something to trust ST with (yet at least, I am still optimistic for the future) - worst case, 3 lights will stay on that should have gone off :smile:

1 Like

Presence gone for a toss again for missus! This presence thing is the mist important thing for my HA and if this doesn’t get resolved.,. Well… iOS 1.8.3 on iPhone 6.

1 Like

I wonder if the app getting “locked up” has anything to do with the new widget? No idea, just a thought. Given that that’s all new code.

It seems pretty likely that the loss of presence detection is really inactivity of the mobile app. Not related to that specific feature, it’s just that that’s the feature that depends on background processing. But who knows?

I am extremely suspicious of the widget too. Whenever she has hit the sunny field, she had used the widget the previous evening and her presence not registered and when she opens the app away from home, sunny field, force close, reopens and it registers her presence/absence. I am not 100% sure though. I am getting rid of widget from her phone and mine if that makes a difference. But I have no logical reasoning to substantiate this. Since before this update there has only been 2 instances when mobile presence had failed us since we started using it since September, 2014. All hell broke loose after this update.

Another data point - I use the widget my wife does not, but both stopped working around the same time.

I have never used the widget but have it setup and have the problem.
It would be nice if they could resend the previous version to Apple as a new version just to get us all back up and running.