[OBSOLETE]Intermatic PE653 Pool Control System

Technically I don’t have a spa, but when we built the pool we put therapy jets in on a bench. I’m in a hot climate and a spa wasn’t to appealing for us.

EDIT : I did add an actuator and set it up for pool/spa. this is working fine!

I assume in order to reproduce the settings issue I would need to remove the PE653 entirely from ST? It it is just a mater of changing the device type in IDE I will give it a shot. If I have to do an exclude I would rather not since getting ST and the remote to play nice isn’t all that easy. Let me know what you think I would need to do?

At this point my next steps would be to figure out how to enable Alexa to trigger pool/spa and VSP 1-4 etc.

Here is a screen shot I just took. Again, thanks for all you do!

@KeithR - I join @Rapfaff in thanking you for your great work and generous contribution to the community. When you’re finished with the heroic, could I ask you to address the mundane? I haven’t figured out a good use for the macro capability you recently added. I’d appreciate any examples that anyone is using.

Also… relative to the color selector … does this work on my style light? It’s one that changes colors and modes based on timed pulses of the switch.

Still playing with the integration. I believe the goal in v.2.03 was to add a refresh to the temp by pressing the temperature indicator? if so I do not believe it is working in the latest release on an android.

Most of my focus is getting the VSP speeds on during various times of day which I set on the remote. it doesn’t seem to trigger at all. If i don’t get it working maybe I’ll set it up on CoRE.

If anyone has gotten it to work from the remote and have something to offer please give me some insight.

@KeithR
Can you tell us more on the lighting control? I have the Pentair intellibright which has 14 settings controlled by toggling the power the specified number of times. I see they have a controller but it appears not to be addressable.

1 Like

I had been struggling for a week trying to get switches in to my “things”. The one thing that did it, finally, right after I typed up this post of which I am now erasing :0, is this:

1. Install V Tile device-type for ms_w_vts
  2. Install ms_w_vts and open
    Set your pool controller
    Set up switch points
  3. Go in to your Pool device
    Push configure and/or refresh
  4. Go back to the ms_w_vts app and go through set up again.

Once I did that the switch points had been renamed to the circuits and when saved the right switches were added to my things.

1 Like

Hey everyone. I’m new here. I got my hub on Sunday and today I was able to get it connect to my PE653. Thank you very much for all the work everyone has done. However I have a few items that aren’t working. Can someone shed some light on these?

• the configure and refresh buttons don’t work.
  • it doesn’t display my pool temp, is this possible?

I believe their was a survey of setups. Here is my info:
Firmware 3.4
Pentair VSP
Booster pump
Lights
No heater
Pool only

Again thanks.

Sorry I was wrong. Refresh and configure work fine. However I only have 5 end points and I can’t seem to get the water temp to display. I have tried to remove and re-install the Multi-Channel app a few times. Also, my remote and pool switch1 shows up in my things. Are they supposed to be there?

On my Android devices the pool the temp still doesn’t work. I built a CoRE piston to solve the problem. It looks like this.

Trigger = time, I set it to 30 minutes
Action = QuickGetWaterTemp

I seems to solve the problem

1 Like

Is there anyway to get the vsp controls as switches so that they can be set to come on with an activity or at a certain time of the day?

1 Like

I just got around to updating to the latest from a version at least 8 months old. I have the Pentair Color LED as well and have been trying to get that to work. I have the slider at the bottom… I’ve tried 1 - 14 values on the slider and the result is my LED goes out for a little bit then comes back on… but it’s still blue… which I’m now wondering if this method (pulsing the power) isn’t going to work through the Pentair controller that I have installed out there as well. (Pentair rotary switch that lets you select the color you want mechanically). That thing might just be overriding the color setting once the power bumps settle down by doing it’s own power toggle. I guess I could bypass that now that the app can control color… maybe I can sell it. :slight_smile:

UPDATE:
I installed a switch in my sub-panel that bypasses the Pentair color controller, allowing the PE653 to be the only thing sending switched power down to the LED and it works!! Sweet! If I flip the switch the other way, the Pentair color controller is in charge so to speak. Now… if we can get the slider to show the color selection so I don’t have to have a lookup table… LOL

I can’t figure out how to configure this smart app for my spa control.

I wired it in last week with the water temp and the freeze temp sensors.

I also have circuit 5 turning the heater on and off.

I literally just need to configure this essentially as a thermostat… and it seems the only thing this device handler is designed to do is flip switches for mode changes. I’m very confused about how the heater control is configured.

Some day I may utilize the other switches, but I don’t see any reason to disable my spa-side controls for pump-blower-ozonator.

I see now that my use case isn’t identical to the typical user.

Do I need to try and learn how to modify this DTH to operate as a thermostat?

Please and thank you for your help.

Hi everyone,

I own a home in CA that has a pool with an Intermatic PE653. I live in WA but will be at the house later this month and am hoping to set this up. Currently I have a SmartThings hub at the house and the FirmWare version I believe is 2.8. My understanding is that I need to upgrade to version 3.4 as a first step but I’m not sure how to do this.

Any suggestions on how to make sure I have what I need to get started?

Thanks!

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have a PE953 remote and PE653 pool control system. Firmware version is 2.8. I have the firmware update app installed on my surface running Windows 10 and a Z-Stick USB stick. I get the drivers loaded and tell the Intermatic firmware update program that the Z-Stick is on COM port 5 but it never connects. Any ideas on how I can update my firmware? I called Intermatic and they said they no longer allow people to update their firmware, you have to mail the unit back to them :frowning:

Thanks for any help \ suggestions!!

-Michael

I would love this feature. I think development on the integration has stopped. The options are there in CoRE, however I can’t seem to get any of the setVSPspeed actions to work. Does anyone know the trick to getting those actions to work?

Anyone here order a hubitat device and want to take a stab at porting this device over…

May need to also port over the multichannel app.

Hi all. I just wanted to give a big shout out to the collective works of BigPunk6 and KeithR. I was delighted to connect my 3.4 intermatic to my newst2 hub thanks to the hard work of these guys. For my purposes it’s working extremely well and better than I had hoped.

Being new to ST I seem to have created a command to turn my heater on via scheduling at midnight – which is redundant because using the switches I’ve created an event to correctly turn my heater on at 1:30 a.m. I haven’t been able to “find” where I created the incorrect trigger (12 a.m.) on my ST in order to delete it – if anyone has ideas, please advise :wink: (Yes, problem in chair, not in hub. Lol!)

I’ve also noticed that when a scheduled event such as “Turn on the Pool Heater at 1:30 a.m.” occurs, while I get an alert, it does not update the switch to show that the heater is actually on. This may be a bit beyond the current capabilities of the device handler and I’m grateful just to have the integration at all, but if anyone knows something I could do to more tightly “bind” the condition state to scheduled events, please let me know.

For my offsite purposes, I’ve hooked up a live cam to “see” /confirm that my heater is running as scheduled, so the “on switch” is not in effect that big of a deal. I did notice that if I tell Alexa to turn on the heater, she will, but the switch also does not illuminate.

I have a feeling there is likely a way I could “poll” the condition of the switch/circuit, but being completely new to HA, don’t yet know what that might entail :wink:

At any rate, thanks again to the community for this profoundly helpful thread and device handling code! You guys rock!

1 Like

I use CoRE to poll every 30mins. You could set it to poll at 12:05 and update it. You could actually have CoRE turn it on, wait 3mins then Poll it.

1 Like

I was able to get just about everything working, but I have two questions left. I only have 5 switches show up not 10. Does anyone know how to fix that? Also, does anyone know how to get the pool temperature from google assistant?

I’m back…

Has anyone (other than me) taken a chance on Hubitat. Good news, it works as advertised meaning my house was fine during the recent cloud outage.

Bad news, you have to re-set everything up.

On that front I am on the PE653, some introduction.

1. I had to remove from ST by unpairing from Z-Wave network;
  2. I had to add to Hubitat Z-Wave network (that was okay);
  3. I had to modify the ST Multichannel App to work with Hubitat (worked except Hubitat does not support relay endpoint); and
  4. I had to modify @KeithR device type to work with Hubitat.

Thus far, I can turn on/off the pool light. Turn on VSP4 and can set the temperature so I have minimal control.

Question anyone else remotely considering being in my position? If so, wanna head over here and take a look at the thread and the github?

Random question in the porting of this device.

Can someone send me the ST logs of what occurs when you adjust the temperature on the pool or spa?

I am receiving errors when I try to set the temperature of the pool in my logs and nothing happens.