[OBSOLETE]Intermatic PE653 Pool Control System

Ok, that part works, 653 doesn’t show up when I pair it only “z-wave remote” does

Since I no relatively little about programming (actually zilch), I was always wondering whether it would be possible to create a device type for the remote to control the remote, then send the command to the remote. The remote can control a variable speed pump and perhaps you would not have to reinvent the wheel.

I went down a somewhat similar path. I hoped at least I could see what commands the 953 was sending. So I used the ‘z-wave remote’ as a template and created a new device handler, and set the 953 to use the new device handler and tried to log the commands. Could be my inexperience with z-wave and ST, but did not have any luck. The ST device handler does not get called when the command is going between 653 and 953. What is strange to me is that z-wave devices are supposed to be able to rebroadcast commands, so you would think each device would at least see the commands between other devices.

To talk to a z-wave device, you need the command class to use, and the parameters that make sense to the device. The remote would have to reimplement all of the the command classes of the 653. From what documentation I have managed to find, that is not how it works. And if I had the command class documentation, I would just make the calls to the 653 anyway.

That’s so wierd. For example, I recently upgraded to v2 so I had to re-program the ST and the PE653 and the PE953. When I went to pair the PE653 to the PE953, the PE953 immediately recognized my VSP and new how to talk with it.

Well, the 653 talks to the variable speed pump through a hard wire, right? That has nothing to do with z-wave. I think the 953 shows the VARSPD INT screen no matter what, but without the physical connection between a compatible pump and the 653, selecting a pump speed would not do anything. The z-wave command would probably be sent, I guess, because the 953 is unaware of the physical connection. There is no configuration for identifying the presence of the vspd pump.

I got it connected! It is showing 18 Endpoint Switches, 5 Multi Senor Endpoints, Pool Control by Punk6 and Z-Wave Remote. Yes the on/off switches from 1-5 work. Both Remote and controller work at same time. The catch? It only working on SmartThings v1 Hub for me. I cannot get it to pair correctly on STv2 Hub.

I would have to know the steps you got in order to see all those switches and sensors?

Congratulations!

Not sure where the 18 endpoint switches came from, but everything else looks right. Do they do anything?

That’s what I am curious about… perhaps some of those may activate the VSP?

I will let you know once I wire it up completely and configure it. I was just trying to get it connected. My other main issue is that it is only connected via, my v1 Hub not my v2 Hub. I read if people have problems pairing stuff they have to basically wipe their hub and start over with a fresh slate. That is something I do not want to do.

I connected with the v2 hub over the weekend. Seems to work fine, I can adjust the temperature of the heater and I can turn on the pool light (same as v1).

I may have to wipe my hub and restart. It will probably take me ours to reprogram everything.

@Barrett_Richardson I know you (all of us) have been anxious to get some (any) documentation on the command classes for the PE653. Well imagine my joy when I found the following docs:

http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/uploads/resources/dfce2aebd23764528a737d3b4798057d1329f0a6.pdf
http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/device/384
http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/device/270

There is certainly a lot of good information here, like many more configuration parameter types that show how to retrieve/set the schedules, and also shows vsp configuration settings. My hopes were high, although soon evaporated as I realized that it still leaves our most important questions about actuation unanswered: the ability to set pool/spa mode or set vsp speeds.

Now I do think there may be an opportunity to back-door the vsp by updating the vsp schedule for 1 minute from now, but that would involve considerable latency, but perhaps better than nothing. I haven’t seen any similar opportunity for the pool/spa mode.

On another topic: firmware versions. I am running v3.4 and was never able to get the switches to work with the stock @bigpunk6 code. What I am learning is that my firmware version does not support the MultiChannelV3 commands. In fact if I interrogate the PE653 it reports the Multichannel command class(37) at version1. I’ve been tinkering with the code and am now beginning to get Multichannel responses back from the receiver if I use the V1 commands (multiInstanceCmdEncap) - note: “instance” rather than “channel”. I’m not all the way there yet but I am at least able to turn the 5 switches on and off. It seems like earlier firmware versions may have had different command class support levels? really? I will keep working on this and post something when I get more reliable.

Finally, like you, I wanted to pursue creating a device type for the remote, but have hesitated as I have doubts it will ever talk to anything but a device that IT includes, but your attempt intrigues me and I would love to give that a try myself. Would you be willing to post or send your experimental remote device type? That would save me some time.

Does anyone know if there is any SmartThings option, or Vera or any other device that can listen in on all communication? We are only seeing the application layer, and even then, only the traffic to/from the primary ST hub, not between other devices like secondary controllers. Someone commented that we should be able to see the relays that ZWave does but that is surely lower layers of the protocol that ST will not show us. What about a true radio interface that just reads all raw transmissions?

1 Like

I would contact Intermatic and downgrade your firmware to 3.3. Even the Vera will not work on 3.4 but works on 3.3.

That is an awesome find! I looked for hours for this.

Wow, congratulations. How in the hell did you find it?!

So happy and then so sad. As you note, no mention whatsoever of the two exact functions we most wanted.

My attempt at the remote device handler is beyond basic. I simply created a new device handler using ‘From Template’ and chose ‘z-wave remote’. I then edited the installed device and switched to the new device handler I created. From there added debug statement to the zwaveEvent function, and still nothing.

Like you, would love to get some form of sniffer going for the z-wave traffic. I have seen some posts out there but seemed largely in context of hacking or security. Was hoping that the folks on this thread would be able to point the way, such as @codytruscott device handler. Still baffled why @Intermatic_Rob was unable to share this doc. Rob, given this document, is there any way to get the dev team to give us a clue on setting pool/spa or vspds?

Keith, thanks again for sharing! I will keep digging into it for more clues. I am not really motivated to replace the 953 for setting schedules, etc. Just wanted to turn on the bloody spa from the office!

1 Like

I think personally a delay with the VSP is completely acceptable so long as the delay is constant and not crazy (ie. 1 day).

The point of the VSP is to activate the VSP in order to trigger the heater so if you were to craft a trigger that would turn on the VSP when the heat point is set to > 85 then who cares if the trigger doesn’t fire for a minute (or even an hour) as long as it fires.

@JDogg016, I’ve actually had some success with Pool/Spa mode so I am encouraged that the VSP will respond to a similar approach. I should have something for you to try in the next day or two. I don’t have a VSP so you’ll have to try it out for me and send me logs to show if I’m on the right track. Stay tuned…

Best news yet!! Make sure you let me know how I can help.

That is absolutely AWESOME. I look forward to seeing what you came up with, and to test. Can you give me a hint how you figured it out? Trial and error?