[OBSOLETE]Intermatic PE653 Pool Control System

If the remote can control the VSP and the actuators. Why can’t the device. Is the solution to create a device for the 953?

That is the big question. My answer is that, in theory, there is NO reason ST could not issue the appropriate z-wave commands the same as the remote does. However, Intermatic had to map their needs on the z-wave alliance specification, and may have done proprietary solutions as well. But the trick is that there is a lot of flexibility in the implementation of the controls. The implementation of the CommandClass for a ‘Switch Binary v1’ is straightforward but you need to figure out what parameters are needed for each button, and I am hesitant to do trial and error.

More complicated is to associate pump speed to something in the z-wave spec, since the CommandClass for this appears to be Powerlevel, which doesn’t define a value for RPM or Flowrate. Not that we are necessarily needing to change pump speeds associated with each setting, I think you and I would be quite happy with ‘Set pump speed setting 3’, like we were pushing the button on the vspd page. Which ought to be the super simple ‘Switch Binary v1’ type solution.

Pool/Spa toggle would likely be a Switch Binary v1 as well, but without knowing the identifier or endpoint, I am flying blind. Which, if I had more time and was willing to risk it, would be OK. But I am not there at the moment.

So I called Intermatic, and they said that they don’t have any information they can give me. This despite the fact that they have completed a full implementation with the vacation home automation market and Vera and the PE653. This would be a z-wave device handler as well, as far as I know.

The Intermatic tech I talked to did ask me to send him an email and he would look into it. Best case would be technical documentation that relates the 953 functions to the CommandClass and parameters needed from z-wave.

Yes it can. I have mine working. It’s a beast of a custom device type. The tricky aspect is that everyone has a different spa or pool setup and a universal device type is too cumbersome. I’ve contenplated developing a web app to ‘build’ custom device types for this given user inputs about their setup, but even at $50 to use the configurator, I still think it would be a big time sink.

The full zwave documentation for this device is out there — but I don’t have it on my phone and won’t be back to my work computer for a long time.

I sold my 963 remote as it just complicated things. The 653 is fully serviceable and configurable via zwave.

Wow, that is great news. If you can remember where you got the documentation I can hunt it down. Or if not, when you say ‘long time’ to get to your work computer, do you mean hours, days, or weeks? Any chance your device handler is accessible on github or something?

Weeks. I think it was linked to from the forum of some PC app. My mind is telling me HomeController? It was some sort of zwave reference guide.

My code is a cluster fuck hack. I’ll eventually clean it, but my apartment currently lacks a kitchen, bathroom, floor, etc. So. Priorities. :slight_smile:

CF hacks are welcome. No judgement, I completely get it. You get it working and suddenly the priority plummets. I will take anything and reverse engineer it. Meanwhile I will take your clue to hunt down the doc.

I haven’t had any additional luck locating a doc that describes Intermatics z-wave implementation for the 653. @codytruscott, is there any harm sharing your device handler, regardless of it’s condition? You can send it to me through private message, or I could pm you my email address.

since you seem to be one of the only people on the forum currently that has “it working” could you share the magic sauce? I know several folks need the vsp and spa/pool solutions, but I’m just running 4 on/off devices on mine… just dying to get that to work from ST and then hopefully to be able to schedule the on/off events. Thanks for whatever you can elaborate on.

In think the only thing anyone had working are the on/of switches and temperature

@unclegeek, I think most people have the five circuits and temperature working from bigpunk6 code. From the steps I outlined, where are you stuck? Would it be worth resetting and starting over?

1. paste in bigpunk6 code as a Device Handler.
  2. create 2 smartapps from Cooper Lee.
  3. clearing 653, resetting 953,
  4. pairing ST and 653 (this should automatically find the bigpunk6 devicehandler
  5. (optional) pairing 953 and ST
  6. (optional) pairing 653 and ST.

The only reason you may be challenged that I can think of is if this is somehow different in 3.4. Happy to keep trying to walk you through it.

I never published the smartapps so I don’t know if they actually did anything or not. I never had to assign the smartapps to anything. When I look at the ‘things’ I saw the five switches and the pool controller.

This works like a charm. I have been extending the solution to show a refresh time, fixing polling to allow better auto refresh, planning on adding logging to be able to track the temperature and switch states, etc. As I get more comfortable with Groovy and the whole setup, I might do some experimentation with firing random switch controls to see if I can stumble on what could turn on the toggles for p/s or vspd. But would be lovely if I had the doc or a device handler to pattern off of.

Finally, if you get the above done, and see the switches, might be worth looking at the ‘live logging’ screen, operate each switch, and see what is getting sent from the debug statements. Might be an old version of code you are working with or something. Surely we can get you to at least control the five circuits.

1 Like

Are you able to adjust the heater (solar, in my case) set points?

I’m planning on connecting mine when I get back from a week of vacation.

Well, somewhat of an interesting question. I think it depends on the configuration. My 653 had the connectors for (from l->r) Freeze/Air, and Water temp. The third pair that today is labeled Solar/Air existed, but the manual and software (v3.1) didn’t mention it. So the device handler has set points for pool and spa. This assumes the heater is on circuit 5, and there is a water sensor. If your setup uses circuit 5 for the solar valve/pump, and can do this based on the set point of water temperature, I think you will be golden. Otherwise it may take some experimentation or extension of the handler.

1 Like

Are you saying your firmware is on 3.1? Per the Vera forums 3.4 toward has issues and =< 3.3 firmware works fine.

Yes, 3.1 firmware. I heard the same, specifically from Intermatic about 3.4 and Vera. I haven’t heard if the 3.4 issues affected ST. They have upgrades to 3.9 for Vera for a different market, they said, but not available to end users such as schmucks like us, yet.

Hello,

I’m Rob from Intermatic. How many of you are successfully using the PE653 and what Firmware are you using?

WOW! Awesome! I am up and running. I have ST connected to the 653 as well as the 953 linked back to the 653

I have five switches controlling the pump as well as a temperature slider.

Switches 3 and 4 are the only switches that respond to commands right now. Switch 3 controls the salt machine and switch 4 controls the pool light.

The temperature slider works and will adjust the temperature of the heater.

I believe I am on FW 3.1, but can you instruct me (us) how to check.

I think everyone is still having issues with the variable speed pumps though. I have a Pentair VS I think Justin you have the same pump as me too.

I only have access to my phone now. I’m planning on being at the location of the tub the week of June 25th. I’ll release what I have within a week after that.

I’m one of the “no workie” people and I’m running 3.4

Welcome, Rob!