Integration of z-Wave /danfoss thermostatw

Received the Devolo version of this thermostat yesterday. Appears to be the same except that it can report room temperature back to smartthings.

Initial install defaulted to “z-wave thermostat” This doesn’t work well (at all) in terms of control but was reporting back the temperature from the room.

I tried the standard LC-13 DH and this custom one and like the custom one better but would be nice to be able to report back temp so I can then use the 5-2 scheduler without a separate temp sensor, sounds like it’d be a cut and past of code from the “z-wave thermostat” to a custom DH but I’m new to this stuff…

Also can’t seem to get the polling to update, it’s stuck on 30 minutes.

I don’t have any specific tips on how to exactly do it, as I don’t have a Devolo. But if the Develo is the same as the danfoss one minus the temperature reporting. You’re best approach might be to start with the custom handler. From there you can start to do something with the temperature it reports back.

Hi all,

Has anyone had any luck with integrating the Danfoss room thermostat (DRS21)? It reports in when using the handler for the TRV, but obviously doesn’t report the temperature.

When using a generic thermostat handler, the temperature is reported… however the device becomes ‘unavailable’ after a few hours and does not report in until the device is manually awoken.

I’m hoping to use it to control the heating set point of multiple TRVs in one room, and report temperature of the room as well.

I am getting an error when I try to install @tommysqueak’s device handler from his Github repository.

I can see “devicetypes/tommysqueak/danfoss-living-connect-radiator-thermostat.src/danfoss-living-connect-radiator-thermostat.groovy” in the New “(only in Github)” window when I click on “Update from Repo” but I get a generic “Updated 0 devices and created 0 new devices, 0 published (1 skipped due to errors)” when I “Execute Update”.

The DTH handler installs OK if I copy and paste and I can update other repo’s OK. Any ideas?

@yvesracine does you app allow different schedules based on mode? I.e. If mode is Mode-1 use schedule A, if mode is Mode-2 use schedule B, if mode is Mode-2 use schedule C. Also, does it integrate with Nest to turn the boiler on if a temperature sensor calls for heat?

Hi,

• By mode, I guess you mean “ST location mode” like Home,Away, Night… Yes, the schedules’ start & end time can be associated to one or many location modes (optional) in ScheduleTstatZones.

• In the ‘ScheduleTstatZones’ smartapp, for each room, you can associate a room sensor. The scheduled zones will then use all room sensors (not only one) and adjust the thermostat’s setpoints according to the avg calculation (by default). You may also use other calculation methods like median, min, max, heat/min; cool/max… The setpoint adjustment does not automatically mean that the smartapp will call for heat, but if your far away rooms are colder than the ambient temperature at the thermostat, then, there is a good chance for the heat call.

• For the Nest, in order to leverage all smartapp’s powerful logic (there is a tight integration with my Nest integration in order to detect manual overrides), you’d need to contribute to My NextTstat DTH which is also available at my store. In fact, you should take advantage of MyNextBundle at my store if you’re planning to use ‘ScheduleTstatZones’.

For the full list of supported features and use cases, refer to the ST community wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones

For MyNextTstat, refer to

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Next_Tstat

Or the following thread:

Regards.

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive response :slight_smile:

Hi Tommy,

I have installed my Danfoss LC13’s and updated to your device handler but the Wake up reporting that is typically seen every 5 mins has now stopped.

This worked on the original Default Handler via Smartthings.

Can a confirm that the device is waking up every 5 minutes but just not logging a wake up?

Also, does the LC13 not give read ambient temperture. They do not appear on the list of Temp Sensors for ScheduleTstatZones

Thanks

The change of handler shouldn’t affect the device itself, in terms of the 5min wake-ups. It might be actually doing it every 5mins but I don’t think I show it on the UI (:thinking: Might be a nice feature to add). To check you could change the temperature and see if the device picks it up in 5 mins. Whilst also looking at the logs - https://graph-eu01-euwest1.api.smartthings.com/ide/logs

The LC13 doesn’t report back the temperature :frowning: Or at least the earlier versions don’t. I may have heard that later versions or variants (rebranded by other companies) do.

Hi Tommy,

Im still having little success with these LC-13s. I think it is the fact the the actuators move so slowly.

Is there any way that they can be controlled as simple open / Close actuators on the radiators to turn the heating fully on or off within room?

Thanks

I’m having trouble getting this device handler to work with Google Home.

This is what I see in the logs when trying to adjust temperature from my Google Home and Google Home Hub:
4194f4f6-d8b9-438c-ae8b-5a4617d225b3 20:30:11: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: java.lang.String.floatValue() is applicable for argument types: () values: @line 1805 (isTemperatureWithinRange)
4194f4f6-d8b9-438c-ae8b-5a4617d225b3 20:30:11: debug currentHeatingSetpoint: 21.0 currentThermostatSetpoint: 21.04194f4f6-d8b9-438c-ae8b-5a4617d225b3 20:30:11: debug Mode: heat TemperatureScale: C
4194f4f6-d8b9-438c-ae8b-5a4617d225b3 20:30:11: debug Set Radiator Syd setpoint to 24

I don’t find the mentioned isTemperatureWithinRange method anywhere. Any pointers as to what might be going wrong here?

me two, i have a pop tvr and the DH is base on this one and it works fine

i even tryed swaping the DH over, but it still dosent work

I have both Danfoss LC13 and Devolo (using Popp TRV DH dased on Tommy’s LC13 DH). Google assistant and Alexa commands seem to work with the official Danfoss LC13 DH on both different trvs but not the Tommy’s or Popp custom DH. Would hope it was an easy copy and paste to fix but I wouldn’t have a clue where to start :joy:.

I can take a look and see if isTemperatureWithinRange means something. I’ll be coding blind a bit as I can’t troubleshoot the Google Home issue, as I don’t have one. Any other details you can share, will help. The logs from @hpe look like a great place to start, thanks for sharing :bowing_man:

Hi Tommy,

Below is the log when trying to set temp with Alexa. Same error occurs as Google. I have both Google Home and Alexa available should you require any assistance with testing any changes give let me know.

7874715d-02a4-455c-a4ee-dde21eb6b0e8 9:23:27 PM:info postEventToEndpoint: event successfully posted.

7874715d-02a4-455c-a4ee-dde21eb6b0e8 9:23:27 PM:debug Property Change Event DeviceWatch-DeviceStatus: online (source: DEVICE)

7874715d-02a4-455c-a4ee-dde21eb6b0e8 9:23:27 PM:info postEventToEndpoint: event successfully posted.

7874715d-02a4-455c-a4ee-dde21eb6b0e8 9:23:27 PM:debug Property Change Event DeviceWatch-DeviceStatus: online (source: DEVICE)

7874715d-02a4-455c-a4ee-dde21eb6b0e8 9:23:07 PM:info postEventToEndpoint: event successfully posted.

7874715d-02a4-455c-a4ee-dde21eb6b0e8 9:23:07 PM:debug Property Change Event motion: inactive (source: DEVICE)

7874715d-02a4-455c-a4ee-dde21eb6b0e8 9:22:32 PM:error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: java.lang.String.floatValue() is applicable for argument types: () values: @line 2700 (isTemperatureWithinRange)

7874715d-02a4-455c-a4ee-dde21eb6b0e8 9:22:32 PM:debug TargetSetPoint after rounding off to the nearest 0.5 : 25.0 C

7874715d-02a4-455c-a4ee-dde21eb6b0e8 9:22:32 PM:debug currentHeatingSetpoint: 21.0 currentThermostatSetpoint: 21.0

7874715d-02a4-455c-a4ee-dde21eb6b0e8 9:22:32 PM:debug Mode: heat TemperatureScale: C

7874715d-02a4-455c-a4ee-dde21eb6b0e8 9:22:32 PM:debug Set Amy’s Heating setpoint to [targetSetpoint:[scale:CELSIUS, value:25]]

7874715d-02a4-455c-a4ee-dde21eb6b0e8 9:22:32 PM:debug handlePostV3

7874715d-02a4-455c-a4ee-dde21eb6b0e8 9:22:21 PM:info postEventToEndpoint: event successfully posted.

7874715d-02a4-455c-a4ee-dde21eb6b0e8 9:22:21 PM:debug Property Change Event temperature: 21.09 (source: DEVICE

I found this https://github.com/PhysicalGraph/solutions-sandbox/blob/a465ee3b745678cb0cd92d528706666f85bd9e4f/src/smartthings/smartapps/smartthings/amazon-echo-home-skill.src/amazon-echo-home-skill.groovy#L644

It could be the code for the the Alexa and Google Home smart apps. I’m not sure if it’s the current or old code. If it’s current, it seems like isTemperatureWithinRange is accessing attributes not supported by the device eg currentMinHeatingSetpoint I couldn’t find these documented and they’re not standard capabilities https://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/capabilities-reference.html#thermostat

I can try adding them in. I believe the Danfoss thermostats have a min & max temperature range, so there’s not harm in defining them.

4degC and 28degC and the min and max.

As I said the temperature changes works with the official handler. When using the official one you can see that min and max heating setpoints are listed in ‘current states’.
So defining them will most likely make this work as you said

its strage running the popp google works fine but the danfoss it doesnt work with her/him??

Hi Maryk I seem to be having a different experience from you. To be clear from my testing this is what I found

Using Popp or Tommy DTH: commands from Alexa or Google home to switch trv on or off work. Commands to change heating setpoint does not work and returns error regarding isTemperatureWithinRange

Official Danfoss DTH: commands from Alexa or Google home to switch trv on or off does not work. Commands to change heating setpoint does work.

I understand why the on/off command doesn’t work on official DTH as it doesn’t have a switch capability, which has been added to Tommy/Popp DTH

I’ll have a look at the good bits then. Just to be clear are you using my version of the pop