Integration of z-Wave /danfoss thermostatw

I’m curious too. What’s special in your app to we need to buy it?

Hi @Dmitrii, @marktheknife ,

This is a development project I’ve been working on for the last 3 years, so you contribute to the software just like you contribute to some development projects at Indiegogo or kickstarter. Please refer to the threads, you’ll see all the work and releases that I’ve been releasing since the beginning in 2015 (and the testimonials).

And, you need to contribute financially to get the software as this represents hundreds of hours of development and testing.

I believe that nobody should expect to get this kind of development & testing for “free”. There a lot of misconception in the ST community about the fact that this platform is “open-source”. The ST platform is not “open-source” (like OpenHAB for example which is truly an open-source platform). Nobody has access to the ST platform internals and even some Samsung DTHs & smartapps (like SHM) are not accessible to developers. So, after some time, I decided to ask for a financial contribution given the amount of work involved to develop my DTHs and smartapps.

BTW, the smartapp has close to 4000 lines of code (just to give you an idea of the work involved), and it’s working well. I’m at version 7.7.7, so this is not the 1st version of the software.

There is no other smartapps with this kind of capabilities all over the forum (and, nowhere in any HA platforms like openHAB, Wink or Vera you’ll see this kind of zoned heating/cooling capabilities).

And, finally the level of documentation at the ST community wiki speaks for itself :

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones
Regards

2 Likes

No argument here. It’s clear you put a ton of work into your smartapps and device handlers and people seem to be very satisfied with them.

I’ve paid for access to RBoy’s apps and ActionTiles too. You guys certainly deserve compensation for your time and effort. If others want to make the code they develop in their free time available to others for without compensation that’s their decision.

The term contribute just strikes me as odd. It’s an online store, there are discrete software packages with different prices. Contributing to an open-source developer who doesn’t require payment for access to his or her code is a different kind of transaction.

Regardless, thanks for your efforts to make ST a far more versatile home automation platform than it otherwise would be.

1 Like

To conclude on this topic, for a modest contribution (the equivalent to few cups of coffee-especially at Starbucks), you get something that I’ve built over several hundreds of hours of development & testing (the latter is critical)…

1 Like

Yes I can see we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one :grin:

Good luck with your continued efforts :v:

1 Like

BTW, somebody sent me some IDE screenshots of the danFoss thermostatw DTH, and the DTH lacks some basic thermostat capabilities & attributes (i.e., thermostatMode, thermostatOperatingState, thermostatFanMode - even if the attributes don’t always apply, they should be present).

I don’t know who is the DTH author, but she/he should modify the DTH to make it more standard. Otherwise, no other smartapps can use the thermostat as it is.

EDIT: I found this DTH that seems to be more standard:

Regards,

2 Likes

Yeh! That’s my device handler. I can confirm that it works well and I’m actively maintaining it.

I’m using it manually and have used it with a scheduling smart app as well. It has the full thermostat capability for use in apps. It also has the ‘switch’ capability, which means you can turn it on and off, if the smart app or something can’t use the thermostat capability.

4 Likes

Thanks Tom.

What smart app have you used currently to set the scheduling?

I was using this [RELEASE] 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat Scheduler (Weekday, Weekend) with Remote Temperature Sensor for each Schedule for simple weekday and weekend schedules.

They have a paid for version, that does more and I think can use a temperature sensor.

2 Likes

Hi,

ScheduleTstatZones can also use temp sensors and motion sensors (to see if the room is occupied or not) to adjust the setpoints…

You can even use an outdoor temp sensor to define some more/less heat thresholds.

And, many more features (ex. alternative cooling, can change your fan settings at the main thermostat based on some outdoor or indoor conditions, etc.)

Hi Tommy, I am using your DH. Its great - thank you. I do however miss the report from the device. I am not sure if my LC13’s do wake up every 15 mins as i have told them to. I have had problems with the messing up before.
Do you know how i can check the wake up interval? Thanks!

Danny

Hey @tommysqueak. Thank you for your hard work to date, I have been driving x15 of these radiator valves with your driver for a while now.

I am curious if you have tried the official driver now available from smartthings for the Danfoss Living Connect valve and what you think of it compared to your driver? I haven’t myself, and would only want to move if people thought there was a significant upside.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Danny,

I remember having issues myself with the wake-up interval. It always seemed to be stuck at 30 or 60mins. I can’t remember how I eventually fixed. This might help https://github.com/codersaur/SmartThings/tree/master/devices/zwave-tweaker I haven’t used it myself but I bookmarked it a while ago as a useful tool to interrogate devices.

I also think there’s a bug with the handler, in that because it’s a sleepy device the configuration changes don’t get sent when you save them, unless it’s awake. You can try waking the device manually and then immediately saving the a new wake-up interval from the config screen.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Great to hear the handler’s working about :muscle:

I haven’t heard of the official driver! Do you know where the code is or any other info? Be good to check it out and see how with inside knowledge how they approached it. With the lack of documentation, mine was based on a lot of sitting next to the radiator with trial and error. :slight_smile:

haha… very grateful to your trial and error @tommysqueak.

Yeh, it is an official Thing now. So you will find it listed under:

smartthings app/marketplace/things/home environment/Danfoss Living Connect

It would be great to get your views on it.

Cheers

Paul

Hi,

I have just bought a Danfoss valve but I’m not able to pair it into the Smartthings. When I click into add new thing I can’t see Danfoss valve, could you please help me on that?

Thanks.
Regards.
Javier.

Hi all, firstly this is a brilliant thread! Been really helpful in planning the move into controlling my rads.

This morning 14 Danfoss TRVs arrived at my door. I managed to pick up the 014G0012 ones with software 2.51 (according to the battery cover). The one I’ve got on a trial radiator was recognised immediately by smartthings as the LC-13 (happy days).

I can see that Brumster has successfully used these TRVs, I was wondering if the default handler is best to run them or if the DTH mentioned in this thread is more reliable or offers any benefit?

Many thanks

Louis

Hi guys!

I just joined the community and, well, I’m a total newbie in ST (received my 2nd gen hub today)

I’ve managed to connect the Danfoss Living Connect to my hub and I’ve downloaded the follow device handler:
tommysqueak : Danfoss Living Connect Radiator Thermostat LC-13 v3.01

My problem is that when ever I try to switch the Connect off via the SmartThings app, it doesn’t work. How come? What I’m I doing wrong?

• I’ve tried to read through the entire thread, but it’s really difficult to find any answers to my issue.

Thanks in advance! :wink:

// Mads

@MrRhubarb its a battery device. It therefore polls at a regular interval to pick up its config (and any SetPoint changes). Have a look at the setting of the device and it there should be a refresh time. Check the log for the device and you should see it wake and update.

@Louage with regard to the DTH. I have;t tried the default handler. I installed mine before ST started supporting the TRV. I’m still using @tommysqueak 's handler. That allows me to set an ON temp and an OFF temp, fits my use case perfectly.

Good places to start are the logs at https://graph-eu01-euwest1.api.smartthings.com/ide/logs To see if the sleepy (battery powered) device is checking in, the app sets it to 5mins but I think the default is 30mins, so it might be checking in at 30min intervals. If you press a button on the actual thermostat, it will checkin and you can see some action in the logs.