Integration of z-Wave /danfoss thermostatw

Hi All

Reading thought this forum post. Want to check and understand a few things!

1. Is this still the version to buy? http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-danfoss-lc-13-living-connect-radiator-thermostat Or is there a newer version that can return the temp value for example?

2. Does a DH page exist on GitHub?

3. Can this be used in conjunction with a sensor from ST and or with Nest to do Room by Room heating based on some automation rules. I.e. Room 1 is below 15 degrees, heat until it hit x degrees?

That is actually my next step – reaching and maintaining specific temperature level. At the moment I only use it to turn the heating on and off in various rooms based on some presence and time of the day rules. There are a few things I am not sure about:

• does the Danfos TRV allow access to its temperature sensor or do I need a separate temp sensor in each room?
  • none of the internet based virtual outdoor temperature tiles seem to be working for me? Is it just me or is there a working one available?
    Researching things for now.

My previous hub was MiCasaVerde Vera Lite and it does not have the easiest set of tools to work with. I was hoping SmartThings would make it significantly easier to set up and control the logic.

Hi Neil,

Yes to all three questions.

Here is the DH I’m using w/o any issues, except it’s true it does not report back the temp in the room. For that I use an external sensor like this one (https://www.controlliving.com/product/danfoss-rs-z-wave-kamer-thermostaat/) which I’ve hacked together a device handler for and it works great.

These TRVs do a great job of maintaining the temperature and in conjunction with an external sensor there’s a lot of options for automation. I currently use a smart app called “Danfoss Living Connect Thermostats - Follow my lead” which lets you group the TRVs together and select a thermostat to be the “master” in my case I use the Danfoss Room Thermostat in two rooms, and a virtual thermostat (tied to physical temp sensors) in a few other rooms. You can get the Smartapp here: Integration of z-Wave /danfoss thermostatw

Hope that helps!

Great advice thanks. I might give one unit a go

Is it still the same model I sent in the link?

Yup - I haven’t searched to see if there’s another one now, but that’s the one I’m using.

@Marius_Kristoffersen, @tmielonen,@Neil_McRae,@Sherali_Karimov,@soaresrm

FYI, In the past 3 years, I have built the ScheduleTstatZones smartapp which allows you to create zones inside your home for more targeted heating/cooling.

In the smartapp, you can configure your rooms/zones/schedules. You then associate your zone/room thermostats to your zones and schedule your zones during the day.

In your home, you don’t always want to heat/cool all your rooms. In the evenings or at night for instance, you may want to direct more heat to your bedrooms.

The smartapp lets you choose a master thermostat which controls other slave (zone/room) thermostats in terms of mode and setpoints. The thermostats need to follow the ST standard capabilities.

You can also define enter some delta temp adjustments to make some specific zoned rooms cooler or hotter. You can also use your room’s motion sensor to take into account if the room is occupied or not. The occupied threshold can be defined on a room by room basis for more flexibility.

There are many other features, refer to the ST community wiki for more details:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones

And the following ST community thread:

Here is the new virtual zone UI:

You can download the code at my store.

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

Regards.

Thanks all for the great info!

I think I want to go down the Devolo or Popp route.

Can the same DH be used?

Hi All

I have managed to get a POPP TRV connected into smartthings. I found a DH on this forum.

My issue is I don’t seem to be able to get anything working? What is the best APP to use for the room by room automation? I have NST manager installed and one TRV currently.

Please help. I have 30 days to send back if not!

Lol

Hi,

Does your DH expose the TRV with the standard thermostat capability?

If yes, then my zoned heating/cooling smartapps are the best to control your thermostat(s) on a room by room basis. You can associate a thermostat for each room and use your ST temp/motion sensor in your room to control the thermostat’s setpoint (depending if the room is occupied or not).

See my previous post.
Regards.

I will try it out. :slight_smile:
just the smart app needed?

You cannot “try it out”, you need first to contribute at my store (like all the other contributors).

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store.

The smartapp is called “ScheduleTstatZones”.

Please read the ST community wiki for more details:

Regards.

Thanks. Ill keep it in mind.

@yvesracine I’m curious, why the term “contribute?” Isn’t it a purchase if payment is required to access it?

I’m curious too. What’s special in your app to we need to buy it?

Hi @Dmitrii, @marktheknife ,

This is a development project I’ve been working on for the last 3 years, so you contribute to the software just like you contribute to some development projects at Indiegogo or kickstarter. Please refer to the threads, you’ll see all the work and releases that I’ve been releasing since the beginning in 2015 (and the testimonials).

And, you need to contribute financially to get the software as this represents hundreds of hours of development and testing.

I believe that nobody should expect to get this kind of development & testing for “free”. There a lot of misconception in the ST community about the fact that this platform is “open-source”. The ST platform is not “open-source” (like OpenHAB for example which is truly an open-source platform). Nobody has access to the ST platform internals and even some Samsung DTHs & smartapps (like SHM) are not accessible to developers. So, after some time, I decided to ask for a financial contribution given the amount of work involved to develop my DTHs and smartapps.

BTW, the smartapp has close to 4000 lines of code (just to give you an idea of the work involved), and it’s working well. I’m at version 7.7.7, so this is not the 1st version of the software.

There is no other smartapps with this kind of capabilities all over the forum (and, nowhere in any HA platforms like openHAB, Wink or Vera you’ll see this kind of zoned heating/cooling capabilities).

And, finally the level of documentation at the ST community wiki speaks for itself :

Regards

2 Likes

No argument here. It’s clear you put a ton of work into your smartapps and device handlers and people seem to be very satisfied with them.

I’ve paid for access to RBoy’s apps and ActionTiles too. You guys certainly deserve compensation for your time and effort. If others want to make the code they develop in their free time available to others for without compensation that’s their decision.

The term contribute just strikes me as odd. It’s an online store, there are discrete software packages with different prices. Contributing to an open-source developer who doesn’t require payment for access to his or her code is a different kind of transaction.

Regardless, thanks for your efforts to make ST a far more versatile home automation platform than it otherwise would be.

1 Like

To conclude on this topic, for a modest contribution (the equivalent to few cups of coffee-especially at Starbucks), you get something that I’ve built over several hundreds of hours of development & testing (the latter is critical)…

1 Like

Yes I can see we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one :grin:

Good luck with your continued efforts :v:

1 Like

BTW, somebody sent me some IDE screenshots of the danFoss thermostatw DTH, and the DTH lacks some basic thermostat capabilities & attributes (i.e., thermostatMode, thermostatOperatingState, thermostatFanMode - even if the attributes don’t always apply, they should be present).

I don’t know who is the DTH author, but she/he should modify the DTH to make it more standard. Otherwise, no other smartapps can use the thermostat as it is.

EDIT: I found this DTH that seems to be more standard:

Regards,

2 Likes

Yeh! That’s my device handler. I can confirm that it works well and I’m actively maintaining it.

I’m using it manually and have used it with a scheduling smart app as well. It has the full thermostat capability for use in apps. It also has the ‘switch’ capability, which means you can turn it on and off, if the smart app or something can’t use the thermostat capability.

4 Likes