Integration of z-Wave /danfoss thermostatw

I just bought two of these valves.
Does anyone know if they regulate water flow? Or is it just open/close?
The original regulator I could set anywhere from 0 to 5.

Is this thermostat only a 0 or a 5, depending on if it is heating or idle?

They regulate flow. When they are on you can hear them opening and closing but they appear to be small steps not large ones.

Thanks for the reply!
So depending no the setting on the thermostat it regulates flow. Does it itself record the room temperature, and regulate on that?

Should be a setting, or at least possible to see, the percentage it is open…

I get the impression the best way to think about this is to consider it a TRV that you can twist remotely. Instead of numbers 1-5, you can control the temp more granularly.

You set it to 22 it reaches 22 then shuts the valve down. Temp drops it opens the valve gradually to prevent large fluctuations.

Personally I think these are great. I use them to shutdown certain parts of each one that aren’t used often.

All, would you mind doing some setpoint changes from the ST app for me to determine if the DTH is still working? I’m tracking some issues on another battery powered thermostat (Secure/Hortmann) that stopped working a couple of days ago and I think the same issue affects the Danfoss TRV.

Can you make a setpoint change and see if the TRV updates correctly and then feedback please?

Yes, my LC-13s are not updating the set point, although in the logs I see “nextHeatingSetpoint” however nothing after that and they stay on the previous setpoint. I also have a couple that keep getting the E5 error :confused:

Ditto. Not good. Come on ST, comment please @duncan???

If you have this problem please raise a ticket with ST support: support@smartthings.co.uk

Also raise a support issue here: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=110843

1 Like

Don’t ST staff generally refuse to help troubleshoot community-developed device handlers?

Support won;t your right, but development might take some notice if enough of us whine.

Any news on this? All of my thermostats (7) now have E5 status… :confused: I also have two Danfoss room thermostats, which I used a modified version of the device handler for the LC13s, which are showing the same behavior with no heatingSetpoint getting sent. So basically I’ve lost all ability to control our heat.

It seems Likely that this is related to a bug that the community developers have identified. Smartthings staff are currently looking into it as well. If you’re interested in the technical details, you can follow them in the following thread:

If you’re a coder with a broken DTH, definitely check that thread as there is a workaround posted.

If you’re not a coder and you are using someone else’s DTH and they are aware of that thread, then there’s not a lot you can do right now except wait for the bug to get fixed.

2 Likes

@struna any possibility of you updating/branching (temporarily) the handler based on this possible fix?

1 Like

I got five of these LC 13 and using them in Germany (UK v2)
I already have the e5 Error (lost connection) and my set points can’t be change via smartthings.

Thank you guys for the information about this bug!
Smartthings was informed by myself too about the troubles.

Hope the ST programmers can fix it, because at the moment I got 300€ useless plastic plugs on my heaters :smiley:

1 Like

Some information for the DTH writers of the the thread.

In the post linked below @meavydev provides information in how to work around this issue. As and when you get 5 minutes perhaps you could have a look and see if it resolves your issues and then feedback.

Thanks all

@tommysqueak

I see from the link below that a fix is expected today / tomorrow for this, so maybe not worth developing a workaround at this stage;

https://community.smartthings.com/t/recent-platform-update-broke-parse-method-response-result-april-2017/85529/39?u=rjsm

1 Like

I’ve tested the workaround, thanks @JDRoberts for the links to the threads where the problem is discussed, with my non functioning LC13 valves and can confirm it does solve the problem with the Danfoss LC13. The valves had gone into E5 error and after updating the DTH i then had to re-FIX the valves to get them working again. They may have worked all on their own if i had more patience :slight_smile:

I see there is an expected fix due but if like me you cant wait and want your heating working again let me know and i’ll post the update to the DTH (Tom Philip’s “Danfoss Living Connect Radiator Thermostat LC-13 v3” original) to work around the issue. I created a new DTH and swapped over to it so i can swap back easily to the original once its all confirmed working.

3 Likes

Can you post please?

@brumster here ya go:

NOTE: For anyone finding this in the future this DTH was just a TEMP workaround to a firmware issue in April 2017 and (hopefully) will be fixed post 25th April. Smarterm Devs do say there is no harm in using the workaround code but i would still scroll up and find the original instead.

Edit: temporary device handler removed 25th April now the fix has been applied and tested working.

3 Likes

Thanks Paul. Just caught up on this thread. Looks like there’s a temporary fix from @Richard_Woodward (great work btw).

I’m not home at the moment, in order to be able to look into this but it also looks like it’s going to get fixed by smarthings themselves, so perhaps nothing to fix at the mo.

If they don’t fix it. @Richard_Woodward - can you open a pull request with the fix and I can merge it into the DTH?

2 Likes