Integrating WiFi Switches/Plugs that use the Tuya SmartLife App or eWeLink app

That switch uses the smartlife app. There are many other inexpensive Chinese Wi-Fi devices that also use the same app.

In May2020, SmartLife dropped their IFTTT channel due to increasing costs. Paul Hibbard, a tech blogger, says you can try the “brilliant smart“ app from Australia instead, as it has its own Ifttt channel. That company told him they recently renewed with Ifttt, so he says it should be good for at least a year. However, it’s always possible that the company will shut this down for brands other than their own if it starts costing too much money.

To use the IFTTT method:

1. Create a virtual switch in smartthings to act as a proxy for the Wi-Fi device. You need one virtual switch for each Wi-Fi device.

2. Create four IFTTT applets for each Wi-Fi device. one to turn the device on and one to turn the device off in each direction. So

2a) “if smartthings proxy switch turns on, then turn on Wi-Fi device.“
2b) “ if smartthings proxy switch turns off, then turn off the Wi-Fi device.”
2c) “ if Wi-Fi device turns on, then turn on the SmartThings proxy switch.“
2d) “If Wi-Fi device turns off, then turn off the smartthings proxy switch.”

That way if you turn The switch on or off with its own app, it will still stay in sync with the proxy.

That’s all there is to it. When you look at your smartthings app, you will only see the proxy switch, not the real Wi-Fi switch, but that doesn’t matter: it is showing you the status, and if you toggle it or use it in an automation, the real switch will turn on or off appropriately.

A different approach: Alexa as the “man in the middle”

Some community members have Set up a virtual contact sensor To trigger an Amazon routine (not a smartthings routine) and get integration that way. It’s clunky, but it can work for some households.

And here is the Alexa skill for smartlife. There’s some more technical information in the reviews, particularly about network requirements.

There are also a couple of community – created integrations. Just search for SmartLife. ( that’s a Chinese company, it has nothing to do with Samsung or SmartThings, just a somewhat similar name). These may involve flashing the firmware on the device.

My only concern is that If This is like other similar switches, it won’t have any safety certifications, and speaking just for myself, I don’t wire anything into the mains, even a light switch, if it doesn’t have safety certifications. The convenience of home automation isn’t worth burning down the house. But that’s just me. :wink:

TPLink/Kasa brand devices

If you found this FAQ but you have the TPLink or Kasa brand WiFi Devices, those do not use the SmartLife App. They have their own app.

Fortunately, there are two good integrations available for those, one which is cloud to cloud and one which is to the hub but requires a “man in the middle” server. See the following thread:

6 Likes

Most wall switches that use the Tuya SmartLife app will simply show up in their IFTTT channel.

Some other devices, including some smart plugs, have to first be assigned to a smartlife scene. See the following post

Is there any firmware similar to the Sonoff switch firmware developed for the Tuya SmartLife based wall switches? The Sonoff firmware and DH allow Sonoff switches to be controlled directly from ST without using third party cloud/app. Original Sonoff devices will have to use eWeLink but after flashed with the specific custom firmware and using custom DH, they can be controlled via ST directly.

1 Like

I would be looking for something like this too. Ewelink light switches flashed over to a custom firmware to control directly with ST. IFTTT is what I set up for now but it’s strange and turns off devices on its own at times :frowning:

I used only Sonoff wall switch or the zigbee wall switch to replace the SmartLife app control over IFTTT. IFTTT is nice but time lapse of few seconds.

I think the ewelink switches are just sonoffs as well. Not sure how to procede to try to convert them though :frowning: I’ll continue to search

I was able to gain local control of devices using tuya api on hubitat. Should be simple enough to make work in smart things. I however gave my hub to my brother so I am unable to make the port.

I am interested to find out how you flashed the firmware. I can’t find the right GI0 port and a way to initiate the flash mode.

There was no need to flash the firmware. There is a group that did all the work to get use the tuya api locally.

Thank you for your info. Would be greatto have the discussion group link on the “Local Tuya API interface with SmartThings” in the community here.

Anyone interested in porting this? I would try, but im probably not strong enough to port someone’s code.

I may give it a try but may take longer. I’m assume you mean ewelink light switches?

Two different apps, two different IFTTT channels:

So they will be set up in a similar fashion, but the specific integration will depend on the app required for the device. :sunglasses:

Yes, I use them both on ifttt. I was hoping they could do the same. I found some devices like the cheap smart power strip (various names) use multiple apps like Jinvoo and Smart Life. Still learning I guess.

Alexa coan not start any Skill for now.
But not any more here is the $19 tryck.
Buy an extra alexa echo dot.
Place one on the top, under or near the 2nd alexa.
Mute one forever, since it is goningt o be used only to play messages and remanders.
Now you are ready.
Program this alexa only to play comannds for the 2nd alexa (Ruttines or Drop ins)
I have programed it to play a message for the 2nd Alexa at a given time with a rutine that start everyday at the same time.
For example for security yo can program a Rutine that plays “Alexa, ask Burglar deterrent to sound like the dinning area”, that way you can start everyday at a given time that Alexa Skill or any Alexa Skills you want.
Echo Dots are realy cheap now $19 us with shipping.

I am still awaiting the ability to directly interrogate the smart switches to determine their status. That would be possible if we could do API calls to the Smart Life app. But that is not possible yet. I want to be able to read if my switches are on or off. Sure, I could write more complex routines to do that. But that adds latency and a level of difficulty with coding. Doing API calls would be better.

Maybe this help someone :wink:

Flash Tuya Smart Switches with Tasmota Over the Air with No soldering!
4 Likes

This OTA flashing works great. This week I successfully flashed all my WIFi switches, including SP201 based dual switches, to 6.4.1.19.
No more need for Smartlife/Virtual switch/IFTTT/Webcore for a simple automation.

Just an FYI. - From version 6.4.1.18 onwards, there is an option to upload custom templates. There are plenty of custom templates already uploaded to GitHub.

1 Like

Have you guys read the privacy policy of Tuya Smart Life?
It looks like the perfect spy software.
Is there any way around this if i want to use this cheap wifi plug?

To use it with other IFTTT apps the initial register in Smart Life app has to be done no matter what?

Anybody have an input to this?

To use it with IFTTT using the SmartLife app, then, yes, there are a lot of privacy concerns.

If you use the other method described where you flash the firmware, then you never have to open the tuya app or use it and The privacy issues then switch over to the smartthings account.

2 Likes