Integrating WiFi Switches that use the Tuya SmartLife App or eWeLink app

That switch uses the smartlife app. There are many other inexpensive Chinese Wi-Fi switches that also use the same app.

There are a couple of different ways to integrate with it. There is an IFTTT channel, so you can just try that, although recently it has stopped working for anything except basic on/off. But it does still seem to be working for that.

And here is the Alexa skill for smart life. There’s some more technical information in the reviews, particularly about network requirements.

The following link is to the official website for the company that creates the smart life app. If you have problem with the app itself or with the IFTTT channel, these are the people you contact:

http://www.ismartlife.me

Switches that use eWeLink

If your Chinese Switch uses the eWeLink app instead, you can use the same approach with that app’s IFTTT channel:

A different approach: Alexa as the "man in the middle"

Some community members have even set up a separate android device to speak commands to an echo. It’s clunky, but it can work for some households.

Also some of the individual models can work with the free Stringify app, so that may be another option

There are also a couple of community – created integrations. Just search for SmartLife. ( that’s a Chinese company, it has nothing to do with Samsung or SmartThings, just a somewhat similar name).

My only concern is that If This is like other similar switches, it won’t have any safety certifications, and speaking just for myself, I don’t wire anything into the mains, even a light switch, if it doesn’t have safety certifications. The convenience of home automation isn’t worth burning down the house. But that’s just me. :wink:

TPLink/Kasa brand devices

If you found this FAQ but you have the TPLink or Kasa brand WiFi Devices, those do not use the SmartLife App. They have their own app.

Fortunately, there are two good integrations available for those, one which is cloud to cloud and one which is to the hub but requires a “man in the middle” server. See the following thread:

Lyasi Wifi wall switches (Sonoff plus Ewelink Cloud)
Generic Wifi Smart switch integration
FAQ: WIFI Devices in ST? How can I integrate a WiFi device that isn’t on the official compatibility list?
Recommended wall switch (most of the posts I see are getting old)
Kee wifi and Smartthings?
3 Light switches in a single gang box?
WIFI Light Switches and Smartthings (UK)
Switch prices insane or what?
Quinetic light systems
Anyone seen KKCOOL light switches?
Good value-priced smart plug for the U.K.?
Any way to integrate YOUXIU outlet?
Ablue smart socket

Most wall switches that use the Tuya SmartLife app will simply show up in their IFTTT channel.

Some other devices, including some smart plugs, have to first be assigned to a smartlife scene. See the following post

(Max Tay) #3

Is there any firmware similar to the Sonoff switch firmware developed for the Tuya SmartLife based wall switches? The Sonoff firmware and DH allow Sonoff switches to be controlled directly from ST without using third party cloud/app. Original Sonoff devices will have to use eWeLink but after flashed with the specific custom firmware and using custom DH, they can be controlled via ST directly.

Options for 220V Rectangular Dimmers/Switches
(Ecallegari) #4

I would be looking for something like this too. Ewelink light switches flashed over to a custom firmware to control directly with ST. IFTTT is what I set up for now but it’s strange and turns off devices on its own at times :frowning:

(Max Tay) #5

I used only Sonoff wall switch or the zigbee wall switch to replace the SmartLife app control over IFTTT. IFTTT is nice but time lapse of few seconds.

(Ecallegari) #6

I think the ewelink switches are just sonoffs as well. Not sure how to procede to try to convert them though :frowning: I’ll continue to search

(Chris Wilson) #7

I was able to gain local control of devices using tuya api on hubitat. Should be simple enough to make work in smart things. I however gave my hub to my brother so I am unable to make the port.

(Max Tay) #8

I am interested to find out how you flashed the firmware. I can’t find the right GI0 port and a way to initiate the flash mode.

(Chris Wilson) #9

There was no need to flash the firmware. There is a group that did all the work to get use the tuya api locally.

(Max Tay) #10

Thank you for your info. Would be greatto have the discussion group link on the “Local Tuya API interface with SmartThings” in the community here.

Anyone interested in porting this? I would try, but im probably not strong enough to port someone’s code.

(Ecallegari) #12

I may give it a try but may take longer. I’m assume you mean ewelink light switches?

Two different apps, two different IFTTT channels:

So they will be set up in a similar fashion, but the specific integration will depend on the app required for the device. :sunglasses:

(Ecallegari) #14

Yes, I use them both on ifttt. I was hoping they could do the same. I found some devices like the cheap smart power strip (various names) use multiple apps like Jinvoo and Smart Life. Still learning I guess.