Integrating Kidde Smoke / CO Sensors into SmartThings Properly

Yeah, I’ll take a look at it either today or tomorrow and post an update. I’ve done a bunch of other old device handlers so this one should be easy.

1 Like

Wow awesome thank you so much!!! :grin:

I occasionally get false alarms. Does anyone have any tips on how to troubleshoot? My sensors are pretty close to one another, I’ve been thinking that might be an issue?

Very pleased overall with the integration

So a couple days turned into over a week. Sorry about that.

The only thing I saw different from some of the “stock” DTHs and mine was the lack of a ocfDeviceType identifier which I added to both my handlers. Update from the repo and see if that works. There used to be a bug in the new SmartThings connect app where it would “hold on” to old device types. In that case you had to go into your IDE, switch the device type to something else, save it, force stop/quit the app on your phone, clear the cache, switch the device type back (to mine), start the app, and view the devices again.

Let me know if you have any issues.

1 Like

Thank you SO MUCH Allan! I really appreciate that you took the time to help out here!

I wish there were more helpful and dependable people in the world like yourself!

1 Like

Well don’t get too excited. :slight_smile: It still might not work because it doesn’t have a health check component which the app seems to require from many DTH’s. Let me know…adding health check should be trivial.

1 Like

That worked! I am back in business now and can use those devices inside of the new SmartThings App. Thanks again for the help! I really appreciate it.

1 Like

Any clue why this DTH would go to a not connected state in the new ST app while still connected in the old ST app and IDE?

While this worked great in the old app and SMH, it appears the “new” Smartthings app has broken this functionality. Smartthings Home Monitor does not recognize the Open/Close sensor as a smoke detector and hence it cannot be used in Home Monitor. I assume this is because of the lack of support for the custom DTH. Very disappointing considering my investment in 5 hardwired combination smoke / CO detectors, the Kiddie interface relay, the Z-Wave Open/Close sensor and installation. About $200 spent on hardware and the functionality that previously worked great is now gone.

The DTH’s might need a update (add health check, etc) but otherwise I can’t think of a reason you shouldn’t be able to use them. Even though they are custom they are using “stock” capabilities which is all the ST system should care about.

I have been using a DYH that @doncaruana had modified from your original. It allows for toggling the input from NO to NC. Perhaps the latest version of your would work better. I’m probably missing something, but here is a screen capture of what the new app displays currently.

Under Smoke it says “No smoke detectors”.

Cheers.

I’ll take a look at it tomorrow. It’s probably something simple.

1 Like

Much appreciated!

So i don’t see anything wrong with it, looks like I updated it 9 months ago for the new app. Does it show up correctly in your list of things? If you click view sensors does anything show up there?

(Side note: I did throw in health check to see if thats what was missing so after doing the above try updating the DTH and seeing if it’s better).

Sorry about the slow response. Busy day yesterday and I wanted to try a couple of tests.

I updated the DTH with the new one that you posted.

The device does show up under my list of things as a smoke detector. The status was showing as “clear”. I triggered the physical smoke alarm and it toggled to “smoke”. I also got an alert on my phone. Now the device is stuck in “smoke” and has not reset to “clear”. I tried switching to the the other DTH, but it shows the same. Very odd.

I know some devices when open have a tamper switch that make them read as contact closed. Is the cover back on it?

Also if that still doesn’t work I took a fresh copy of the standard SmartThings one, modified it for smoke again, and uploaded it as “modified-zwave-door-window-sensor-for-smoke-2.groovy”. Download that and switch it.

For anyone using my DTH’s both the smoke and CO (well…it’s smoke with a CO label…) have been updated and should properly work in the “new” app.

Thanks! I’m still having trouble myself but haven’t been able to get back to this one. Still battling other issues too.

Looking at https://github.com/vseven/SmartThings_VSeven/tree/master/devicetypes/vseven)/[modified-zwave-door-window-sensor-for-co.src]

It appears that the label is “smoke”. Is there a reason for this? I would expect CO or Monoxide.

Thanks

1 Like