Install a hub device without the mobile app?

I’m working on a project to integrate a SmarthThings hub (IM6001-V3P01) with thermostats in the office. I was able to get the hub to connect to the network by using the mobile app on my personal phone, which is linked to my personal Samsung account. However, I need the hub to be accessible via our company Smartthings API portal, which is associated to a different Samsung account. When I go to “My Hubs” in the web portal, it says that additional hubs must be claimed via the SmartThings mobile app. Is there a way for me to claim the hub through the company account web portal without having a mobile phone that is linked to that Samsung account?

@JDRoberts

I’m sorry, I don’t know anything about the web portal, it’s pretty new. :thinking:

What’s the brand and model of the thermostats? Is there any chance they can run in a hub-optional configuration? most of the Wi-Fi thermostats do, it’s just the Zigbee or zwave ones that need the hub.

@Brad_ST

They are Nest thermostats. As I understand the project requirements, we’re going to be creating an app on the hub to periodically request data from a server, then use that data to set or reset the thermostats. As I understand, we’re not able to communicate directly between the thermostats and the server.

You can invite the other ID to participate in your location. Tgat will give you access yo the thermo. If you can access it.

That said. I think you’re about to be sorely disappointed in what you have access to this way. Google severely limited access to Nest through the integration…

What are you actually trying to do?

If I understand what you’re saying, that’s not how the smartthings platform works. At the present time, no custom code runs on the hub. It’s essentially just a box of radios used to communicate between Zwave and Zigbee devices and the smartthings cloud. So individual developers do not write smartapps that run on the smartthings hub. (I know this is very different from how most home automation hubs work, like Homeseer or Hubitat, but in smartthings even though you own the hub you don’t get to upload code to it. It’s just not how they designed the architecture.)

In the old architecture, Samsung allowed individual developers to write groovy code that could be uploaded to the SmartThings cloud and run there. However, all of that is going away sometime this year.

In the new architecture, you write the code to run on the server of your choice, including a local raspberry pi, and then you connect via the Internet to the smartthings cloud to get to your SmartThings account.

So whatever smartapp you write, it’s not going to run on the smartthings hub anyway. For right now you can write one that will run in the smartthings groovy cloud, but know that that option will be going away this year.

Since the nest devices use a cloud to cloud integration, you don’t need a smartthings hub for those.

So it sounds like you don’t need the hub at all. You do need someplace to run your code, but that’s up to you.

For more information you might want to check out the developer resources, particularly if you want to do something that will live beyond the demise of the groovy cloud.

p.s. if you do want to write something which will be able to run on a smartthings hub, in the future that would be using the rules API, not a custom smartapp. But that option hasn’t been fully implemented yet.

1 Like

Hubs can only be added through the mobile app and you cannot add a hub on behalf of another user account.

Are you unable to sign into the company’s account on your personal device or are you trying to avoid it?

It doesn’t sound like you need a hub though if you are just looking to build a SmartApp to interact with the Nest thermostats. However, as Nathan noted there are limitations on what you can do with Nest thermostats through SmartThings.

2 Likes

Regarding access to a company account, the issue is that we currently don’t have a mobile phone that is connected to the company account. We only have our own individual personal phones. It looks like if we try signing out of our personal account on our personal phone, the entire account gets deleted? That’s what the confirm dialogue says, anyway. So we were trying to avoid having to do that. We can get a company phone connected to the given account, but I was hoping to do some testing in the meantime.

We were expecting to run custom apps through the Groovy cloud, but if that functionality is going to be discontinued, we might have to look into using a RPi or something of the like. So I guess it might be a moot point.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

OK then what you describe is a good fit for the Smartthings API. You run your own code wherever you want in whatever language (cloud, RPI, your brother in law’s server under his desk) and use Web Services calls to the ST API to automate the thermo. That’s IF the nest thermo is addressable through the API. Don’t know -don’t have one.

But - another serious consideration here and why I wouldn’t do this inside ST - when working with smart devices and ecosystems… general rule is avoid hops… Hops are BAD. Why hop from your server to Smartthings to Google when you can go straight from your server to Google: Nest Developers

Here’s what you can access: Available Permissions | Nest Developers when you go directly from your code to Nest.

Edit: and no - removing the app from a device, does NOT delete the account.

It’s sort of can on a Samsung device because they only allow you to have one Samsung account per device. You’re not deleting it in the cloud, but you are removing it from that device.

I don’t know about other android devices, but I don’t think it’s the same issue.

And it’s definitely not true on an Apple device, you just sign out and sign in with the other ID.

It’s a LIITLE different - you simply can’t change the account on a Galaxy phone - they don’t even offer the ability to log out - you don’t get an option. Your choices include:

• installed and active
  • installed and not used

Period. (Note: no option to uninstall it either - it’s a core Samsung app and in the ROM - you only get upgrade.)

To change the account it’s a wipe/reload of the entire phone. (All my devices are Galaxy devices… this particular quirk is FUN - trust me…)

1 Like

I frequently sign out and switch accounts on Galaxy phones for testing.

The issue might be the rather aggressive verbiage used when switching accounts. Even on iOS it states “Your Samsung Account will be removed from this device, along with some, but not all of the associated data.” Some might read “removed” as deleted which isn’t true. There isn’t anything deleted when signing out.

2 Likes