Innovelli Smart Switch vs GE Z-Wave 14292

Thanks JD, but I’m looking forward to the Innovelli battery operated switch as it is the only one I’ve seen with the “Decora” styling that will match the rest of my switches.

Thank you for all your hard work and dedication to this forum !

1 Like

If you mean a rocker style switch, look at the end of the buttons FAQ. Ecolink released a new one about two months ago. That said, for some reason the toggle switch is easier to find than the rocker switch in that line. And of course it’s always good to have more choices. :sunglasses:

( it’s possible ecolink had to withdraw the rocker for rebranding since “Decora” is actually a trademark of Leviton.)

Hey all!

Wow, thanks so much for the kind words everyone! Happy to help with any questions and/or suggestions for improvements. We designed this around the SmartThings platform and are excited about the various customization’s you can do with the switch via the device handlers, but if there’s something more you’d like to see, let us know. We’re always looking to improve and lean on this community a lot for inspiration.

@quinnteq – thanks so much for writing this up :slight_smile: – finally, some recognition for the instruction manual lol. As tedious as it is and unexciting it is to write it, I’m glad it helped! Honestly, thank you – it made my day!

@coronamike50 – we’re looking forward to them as well. We are meeting with the manufacturer next week at CES and should have an update on the status. They’re definitely the top priority for 2018 and they’ve already said they’ve started the tooling process. So, now we’re just waiting on initial production and testing. We’ll also be making them so they can be directly associated with each other, so that if you dim the auxiliary one, it will associate with the smart switch as well. Pretty cool stuff!

@JDRoberts – as always, thank you for tagging me – it’s hard to keep up, so it’s nice to get a message in my email so I can see what’s being talked about! You rock!

8 Likes

@Eric_Inovelli, your product was the first I installed for my hub, nice product! Any word when your switches will be back in stock?

Hey @Spartysh32 – Yes, this product has been way more popular than we ever anticipated, so we’ve been scrambling to get more in stock.

We should have the non-scene versions in stock this week and the scene versions should be back in stock in the beginning of March.

Sorry for the delay!

It’s the only company I know of that has complete install instruction on their web site.

They do. Very clean built inside.
See this Garage door opener using Inovelli NZW37 for the plugin outlet module.

Device Handlers were developed by @erocm1231 https://github.com/erocm123/SmartThingsPublic/tree/master/devicetypes/erocm123

1 Like

I’ve been watching for when the come back in stock,any news?

Ha, yes, it’s been nearly impossible to keep them in stock. We ordered 3x our initial order and sold out in the exact same time frame!

They are producing them this upcoming week and should be back on Amazon in two weeks (so, around the 15th of April or so). This includes all of our switches (On/Off & Dimming, Scene & Non-Scene).

Thanks for your continued patience and have a great day!

Thanks for the quick reply! I’ll have to watch to try to grab them! One other question, is there a wattage limit? I need a ceiling fan switch and didn’t know if this would work?

Most of the smart switches available today are rated for 600W if you install them single-gang (not breaking off any of the fins.) You should be fine using an on/off switch for a ceiling fan, but I wouldn’t try to use the dimmer version for the fan.

Excellent question! Here are the specs for each:

On/Off: Maximum Load: 600W Incandescent, 1/2 HP Motor or 1800W (15A) Resistive
Dimmer: Maximum Load: 500W Incandescent (1-Gang), 400W Incandescent (2-Gang), 300W Incandescent (3-Gang)

** 1-Gang = If it’s in a single gangbox, and no heat sink tabs are removed (fins on the side)
** 2-Gang = If it’s in a double gangbox, and heat sinks on one side are removed
** 3-Gang = If it’s in a triple gangbox, and heat sinks on both sides are removed

As @jamesonrw noted, the dimmers are not to be used on fans :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

So glad you posted about your better experience with Innovelli! I just discovered them while looking for an alternative toggle on/off light switch to use instead of GE.

Unfortunately, the toggle switch is now out of stock with no notes on Innovelli’s website for when it’s going to come back in. Figures.

Had luck with any other similar smart Z-wave plus toggle switches? Just need basics - no dimming nor multiple switches required.

Tagging @Eric_Inovelli

1 Like

Yeah… we kind of dropped the ball here and I apologize. The manufacturer ran into some issues with raw material acquisition for the toggles, so they had to put it on hold for a bit. Then we got bumped by their Christmas tree LED production which should be wrapping up now.

I’m hoping we can get these back out in mid/late September.

If you just need the basics, GE is fine – I’ve had a lot of luck with them personally in my house over the last few years and they work great with SmartThings.

Sorry again for the out of stocks on them and we hope you’ll consider us in the future!

Eric
Founder | Inovelli

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli To be honest, you taking the time to stop your busy day and reply to my thread (and doing so so fast) makes all the difference in the world to me. I’ll set myself a reminder to check back on your inventory in September.

2 Likes

No problem, happy to help :slight_smile:

Depending on the quantity you need, I may have a couple around the office. Feel free to shoot me a PM or reach out to contact@inovelli.com and let them know you were talking to me and we’ll take care of you.

Have an awesome day!

Eric

PS – Thanks @JDRoberts for the tag – you rock!

1 Like

Sent you a PM, thank you!!

Hey Eric,

Here https://github.com/OpenZWave/open-zwave/pull/1470/files?diff=split
You mention a parameter change to the dimmer that disables the dimming function. Does that mean it can be used with a fan, or still not advised?

Thanks,
Jon

Hey @JonLaliberte - excellent question. Yes, unfortunately, still not recommend for fan usage. Hang tight we’re working on a couple fan switches that will be dedicated fan switches, but for now, unfortunately ours are not rated for fan usage :confused:

Hi @Eric_Inovelli
I love the idea that the Inovelli can be used with a dumb switch but none of the dumb switches have the same mechanism where it’s always in the neutral position. Any plans on producing that or even a cheaper add-on version?

E