In wall switch and Add On switch (Honeywell Zwave)

I’m thinking light between the switches as well.

When the OP tests for voltage on the 2 wire, we’l know better.

1 Like

I have a similar problem, was wondering if you all could help me out, too. I’m trying to install HoneyWell Z-wave switches in a pre-existing 3-switch system, but I suspect the color coding of the wiring isn’t standard and it doesn’t match up with any of the configurations I’ve found directions to online. My guess is that it’s a “light between 3 switches” configuration, but I’d appreciate some more knowledgable opinions and any recommendations as to how to deal with it…

Boxes 2 and 3 are pretty basic, each with a single romex going into the box with black, red, white and bare wires.

Box 1 is a doozy. It’s on the 2nd floor. From below, there’s one 14-2 romex. From above, there’s one 14-2 and two 14-3. And it’s all crammed into a tiny 1-gang box that I can barely see the back of. The original switch in this box had 2 “In” and 2 “Out” and 1 ground with no neutral.

I’ve attached some pictures, in case that clarifies, but I’m afraid I don’t have a voltage meter to check any of the wires. (UPDATE: it will only allow me to post one picture.