In Wall Light Dimmer - ZigBee ZLL

Yes, I had the same problem, no zbjoin or catchalls. Then I managed to get a ‘read attr - raw’ message by playing with the +/- on the dimmer panel.

It was then a matter of grabbing the DNI address (Device Network ID) and setting up MyDevices following the instructions that are on the 3Asmathome website.

1 Like

yeah i had that same discovery
however after adding the device and selecting the DTH “Zigbee Dimmer” from 3a. if i push buttons on the dimmer it will show these changes in smartthings device

but i cannot control the device from smartthings

3a helped me before get it going but all they did was change it to self published… this doesn’t work for me…nor does published… etc

i have also re saved and published the custom DTH - no luck

the 1 gang switch actually shows up as a thing and is much easier to get going - and I can control it from the smartthings app.

did you have similiar trouble?

EDIT: turns out there are two dth’s called “Zigbee Dimmer” - the ST standard one and the original custom one - 3a have renamed theirs to Hue Zigbee Dimmer

My dimmer is working perfectly from the smatrthings app i.e. I can control on/off and dim%. It also updates in real time the status and dim% when using the wall panel.

There are two DTH’s called Zigbee Dimmer, you need to choose the custom one at the bottom of the dropdown list.

I was sent a new DTH recently from 3a. Happy to send this to you in case they have improved the code.

1 Like

thanks Scott - that was the reason. 3a found that issue… makes it hard when they are the same name!

can you dm me the code?

do you notice if you dim the lights to say 5 or 10 % and then turn off. then on again they don’t turn on but the device is indeed powered? could just be my leading edge lights…

also, if you dim it then turn off and then select 100% brightness in the ST app on the device, it will not turn on unless it’s set to 99%. I told 3a about this but havnet heard back yet.

I will PM the code.

I have two dimmable LED lights in my circuit (8W each, so total 16W), and they don’t actually glow until about 15%. But they seem to turn on and off reliably at this level. You could check that your LEDs are in fact dimmable or maybe try an old-school 100W incandescent. Maybe the panel has a problem with really low wattage LEDs?

I see the same behaviour in the app with the 99% test. It is not really a concern for me as I dont use the app. I either use the wall panel or google home to control the lights.

Yeah I’ll be using motion sensors and will just set Max ri 99%. My Downlights are def leading edge dimmable. Overall it’s a great panel hey.

So for last 24 hours all my nue zigbee dimmers stopped working via ST. no response at all from zigbee side.

Turns out all the nue zigbee dimmers seemed to have their DNID changed. That’s why they stopped working.

I got the new DNID from catch all updated it and found it started working. is it not abnormal for zigbee device to get a new DNID?

Hey guys,

Great discussion so far. I don’t have a ZigBee Dimmer switch but have just purchased from 3a the Nue ZigBee in-ceiling Light controller. It’s the unit that you put in line with your bank of lights/downlights.

I’ve had no issues getting ST to recognise my device and adding it to ST as a ‘thing’, then changing the name and type to the new Device Handler - ZigBee Switch.

The device handler, I received from 3a and was told it’s the same device handler for the 1 gang switch.

My issue:

• As mentioned, no issues with adding to ST and the ST app.
  • when the controller is powered up the green light shows indicating a connection to ST and through the app, I can see the device as well.
  • using the app, I can switch the device on/off. More specifically, I can actuate the relay - relay clicks and the green light goes on/off.
  • although the relay has clicked off and the green light cuts out, the voltage remains at 240v.

I am dealing with 3a at the moment to resolve this but was wondering if anyone here may have an idea.

I’ll try to upload a video. Any help will be great. Thanks!

Is there a way to turn off the LED lights in the switch. They are really bright and causing me some issues

Most zigbee devices don’t have that option, but I’m not sure of the specifics on that one. I’d contact the company since they advertised as being compatible with SmartThings and have their own DTH.

As I’ve mentioned before, I use the lightdims brand of stickers that go over LEDs and have been really happy with them. They come in white, black, or silver, although you may have to use two of the white. They peel off easily later, but are very effective. There are several brands of these, but this just happens to be the one that I have used.

https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Black-Out-Electronics-Appliances/dp/B009WSN8PK/

Any chance you could pm me the code for the dimmer?

No had a response from 3a smarthome yet.

Cheers

Chris

Sure, will do the PM now

Cheers Scott

I’ve tried everything to get the dimmer to work… Are you sure the code is correct?

It’s the one I used. Where are you falling over?

I assume you are following the below instructions:

I did have trouble pairing but I think I covered that within this thread.

Hey guys,

Been a long time since I posted. Unfortunately, I have had some personal issues that kept me from posting online.

Anyway, glad to see the discussions that have been happening.

Just to update on my situation, I did end up getting the DH and the instructions from 3A and I got my dimmer switches working with no issues except for the 100% dimming level issue.

That is if you drag the dimmer via smart things all the way to 100% (or tell Alexa to set the lights at 100%) the dimmer will do nothing. However, if you set the level to 99% it will work. (all other dimmer levels work)

Minor bug, but doesn’t phase me, happy to remember to just use 99% instead of 100%. This will probably get fixed by 3A in the future.

Otherwise very happy with them.
The only improvement I would make would be the ability to make the LEDs in the switch not so bright.

Thank again everyone for their help.

although the relay has clicked off and the green light cuts out, the voltage remains at 240v.

Hmm, I don’t have these in-ceiling controllers, but that appears to be a hardware issue and not a ST issue.

Is there a switch on the relay itself to manually turn the relay on and off? If so that toggling that switch turn the light on and off?

With the 100% it could be related to your transformers. Ive switched all my light switches to the 3asmarthome switches, and my sparky and i did some experimentation with different transformers and various LED downlights for the best experience. 100% works fine with the dimmers we have. What I have noted with ours is the graduation of dimming isnt properly linear so will have to have a bit of a play with that.

My only other issues

1. Sometimes lights will just turn of randomly
  2. When turning on a light at the switch, another light might flash on for a second.

I am wondering if this is some sort of zigbee crossed lines or some such.

So replaced all my bulbs which were MR16 bulbs to standard LED downlights. This was suggested by Kevin, as he dimmers were being generally badly behaved with the MR16s This fixed the light flashing issue, however random lights switching off is still a thing. The switch appears like the light is still on, but you need to turn it off and then on again at the swtich.

On the smartthings app it appears to be on, and also needs to be turned off and then on again, or more normally, i verbally tell google home to turn it on and it comes back on. This is afffecting at least 2 if not more of my switches, but its most noticeable on 2 (perhaps because they are the 2 i use the most - kitchen/bedroom).

Any suggestions for fixes or what to look for would be much appreciated.