In Desperate Need of Help! (Delays, random on, incorrect app state, etc)

I had alot of trouble with GE/Jasco Edge stock drivers so Iswitched to the Philh30 drivers and my old GE switches worked after that.

1 Like

I don’t think any of mine have migrated over yet. I was hoping to not have to exclude / include because I have a hell of a time with those and they are buried behind furniture and such. But, if we think it will fix my issue(s) then it’s worth it.

3 Likes

Try 1 or 2 and wait and see what happens, if it fixes your issue then do the rest. Make sure you have less than 15 drivers loaded or you may have memory issues. Remove any drivers you are sure you’re not using. Also, beware that if you remove a device and it is the only device in a routine it will delete the routine. An easy way to do this is edit the routine and replace the device with another or a virtual device and then after you add the device back you can change the routine back to the correct device.

2 Likes

Of course, will give it a try tonight.

A lot of comments related to memory issues. Is there any way to see memory usage? Is there a big difference between v2 and v3 in terms of available memory? I guess if we come to the point of determining it is memory, what is the remedy?

Currently there is no way to see the free memory. V2 has more memory then V3. I had this problem and I got 2 more V3 hubs and I’m using one for my Zigbee devices one for Zwave devices and the third I’m going to use for third party integrations. There are several posts on the forums about this. You can have multiple hubs under the same location and it will look just like it does with one hub but any routines or automations that involve devices on both hubs will run in the cloud instead of local. This is how I did it and I’m in no way suggesting you do the same but its just something to think about. I also removed most of my routines and started using Sharptools. Its very easy and you can create very complex automations. I really just use Smartthings for simple stuff now. After I migrated everything to Edge most of my routines stopped working reliably. That why I made all the changes.

2 Likes

Also, don’t go by the old IDE, most of the information is wrong and it will be shut down soon. Use the API by Taustin. Its very easy to setup and gives you a lot of information about your devices such as which are still using the old DTH and which ones have been migrated to Edge.

2 Likes

No pro here, but I had many (mainly Aqara) sensors going offline due to my mesh wifi. I pulled the 2 new Access Point out and (for now) everything works again.
No changes there for you?

Maybe try a Z-Wave Repair. I was having issues and did that and things are much snappier now. Most issues were with Z-Wave and not Zigbee.

He already tried that, said so in the start post.

@Big_Jim Keep us updated on how things are working out for you.

1 Like

Quick update - I spent majority of the weekend moving devices from DTH into Edge. Most of my devices are either GE or Zooz. I did check and I think I have ~120 devices and I would say that 15-20% were migrated to Edge. I did check and I have 4 Edge drivers (beyond Smartthigns) installed. I used the above link to get the Edge driver for the GE devices and that is what I am moving over to. I would say that I am about 60% of the way through them and I am probably over 50% on Edge at this point (Maybe there’s a pun there?). I do feel like local response time is getting better because of it. Meaning if Motion A then Light B. I still see a long delay coming from Alexa into the system though but maybe that is a cloud to cloud issue? I haven’t had any devices turn on randomly at this point either; however, that didn’t happy with high frequency so time will tell on that one. So right now it’s just a continued operation of moving devices over to Edge and reworking routines as best I can and hoping that once fully migrated (or as much as I can) it’s back to a stable usable state.

Appreciate all the feedback / help!

1 Like

Great and make sure you setup the API + link I gave you in one of the posts above. That will tell you a lot of useful info such as number of devices, which ones are Edge and which ones are still on DTH, what drivers you have installed Etc. I think a lot of users don’t set it up because they think it hard to do and it’s really simple to do.

1 Like

I did that right away. It was helpful in terms of the devices and drivers like you mentioned but I would still love to see an overall log that showed everything that is going on. Live Logging back in the day was incredibly helpful for me to troubleshoot.

1 Like

Yup me too. Eventualy they need to bring some kind of logging back.

2 Likes

You get live Edge driver logging via the ST CLI.

smartthings edge:drivers:logcat --hub-address=x.x.x.x

You can get the hub address from the IDE.

Is this a permanent problem? I have been moving from DTH to Edge the past few days and I had about 60 DTH’s for the devices I have (I know, excessive) but right now I am about 60-70% migrated and I have moved mostly the same manufacture devices over. The remaining are one off devices of different types be it remotes or scene controllers, etc. I worry I will either need to exceed 15 or remove devices and wonder what this looks like long term.

It depends on what model hub you have. v2s have more memory than v3s and can handle more drivers. I have 31 drivers on my v2 and don’t have any problems.

2 Likes

I have 14 on my ST Wi-Fi (Plume) hub with no issues. I have 89 physical and virtual devices as well.

1 Like

Most developers are including quite a few different models in one edge driver. For example, Mariano has a driver for buttons that also include some remotes. It just depends on what capabilities the devices have, and how much work the author wants to do.

Separately, one of the more recent beta updates mentioned increasing available memory. That’s not released to the public yet, but I think it does show that smartthings is aware there is an issue, at least for power users.

Just checking, have you tried removing/reinstalling the ST app? :slight_smile: