Important Changes to SmartThings Classic Login System

Are you using a password manager like LastPass, Dashlane, or 1Password? I will try to take better note so we can file a bug report but I do think I have seen that issue a few times.

1 Like

No. I always enter my pw manually.

To be honest I donā€™t remember what it said.

I was prompted to migrate to a Samsung account today and had a major fail (partly my fault, partly not).

I went through the process and started to create my new Samsung account but was told that I already had a Samsung account so I should just login. I did not know that I had a Samsung account and thought maybe I created one a long time ago for something else and requested a password reset. I got the email and reset my password and proceeded with the migration.

Afterwards, I logged into my Samsung account and found that the account associated with my email address was actually created by someone else (apparently using my email address) in a completely different country.

This is where I guess my mistakes started to happen:
I decided the best way to remedy the situation was to delete my Samsung account and then re-create it using the same email address but with the correct information (mine).

After doing this I have lost access to my hub and devices and cannot even login using my old Smartthings account on the IDE site. Please help! Iā€™m hoping you can re-push the migration from my old account to my newly created account.

Again, I was not aware that the Samsung account associated with my email address was created by someone in a completely different country with different name and all so itā€™s partly not my fault.

Thanks in advance.

You should contact ST support at https://support.smartthings.com

1-800 SAMSUNG
(1-800-726-7864)

3 Likes

Thanks, I did but they are closed for the day it appears.

Please let us know what happens.

Wish you luckā€¦ :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Itā€™s weird that someone else has an account using your email address - when I created my account last week I think I had to click an activation link in an email they sent. Maybe they added the email confirmation step recently?

I got the update notice over the weekend and have been postponing the upgrade because it makes me very nervous to read all the horror stories on here.
So I eventually gave in a clicked on the dreaded button.
My fears were not unfounded. I received a ā€œSomething went wrongā€ notice after about 3 minutes.
I logged into my old Smartthings account and EVERYTHING is gone. Logged into the new Samsung account and there is only a Smart TV which I added some months ago in the new app.
Iā€™ll contact support, but I am very worried at the moment.
EDIT: I panicked to soon. It looks like the migration completed successfully, despite the initial warning. After logging in again after about 15 minutes, it appeared that everything is as it should be. I now have 3 locations - the 2 I had in my Smartthings Account, plus a third location which appears to represent the single device (Samsung TV) I had previously add in the new Smartthings app when I purchased the TV.
This was a stressful experience. Good luck to those who still have to go through this.

2 Likes

Login to IDE at https://account.smartthings.com and look to see how many locations you have.

3 Likes

Yup. Multiple locations. Go to the menu and switch locations.

2 Likes

Select the location which has all of your devices and there should be an option on the right of it to edit it and make it default.
Than select the new location and delete it.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had the same thoughts and then the same problem. my TV that I tried to add and couldnā€™t previously has just appeared as a new location with no hubā€¦ oh and my TV just switched itself on too which was not what I wanted at the time. I also canā€™t manage users, as my wife canā€™t get into the app and I canā€™t invite her as the function to add users has disappeared from the hub location but of course itā€™s there on the other location that has no Hub. what a shamble.

2 Likes

Agree. Leave the new app alone. I mistakenly played with it, deleting the phantom locations (actually all locations)ā€¦not a good idea. Deleted hubs synced with classic app and everything was gone. Spent the last 2 days rebuilding my system from scratch. Overall working, but cannot add back my Samsung cameras and one GE switch.

1 Like

The Contacts can not be added at this time as Samsung SmartThings removed this feature.

Same happened to me. What made this especially annoying for me, is that the TV is at my holiday home, 500 miles away. I only realised this after reading your post and checked the security cameras. Fortunately I could turn the TV off via the Harmony hub, as the TV is not shown as a device in ST anymore. The third location (without a hub and which initially contained the TV) was removed from my account, presumably by Support.

I seem to have two ā€œHOMEā€ locations now. Anyone else have this? Tried to delete the fake one in the classic app, but no dice.

You have to log into the IDE, select the ā€œcorrectā€ home location and make it default. Then you should be able to delete the fake location.

2 Likes

IDE shows correctly my HOME and other location. Smartthings classic app shows HOME, HOME, and other location.

I had the exact same issue, even down to the TV. One not on my Samsung TV, since they upgraded the TV firmware about 10 month ago, Smartthing and the TV no longer worked. After this account login update, now it works? Lastly, the TV would turn off but not on.

I have only 1 location but it looks like it added a new location. I had to re-enter the Welcome code in order to see the hub. The home screen always says, ā€œconnectingā€. It appears everything is lost and I have to start from scratch.