Important changes to Community Code Submissions and Developer Discussions

(Tim Slagle) #167

Not a bad idea. I will bring it up internally. Thanks for the suggestion!

This information doesn’t seem encouraging to community developers. I’m sure ST will soon find out their controller isn’t suited for non-DIY users. Without community created rule engines like CoRE, the automation options of ST are underwhelming (can’t even use custom attributes in most of the automation apps).

Judging by the fact that ST implemented the option to support more than 1 instance of a capability on a device only last month, they’r in for a rude awakening once the community support drops.

(Dan) #169

@slagle

Tim,

Any update on the “new and exciting features and tools!” mentioned in the first post? It has been 3 months since ST made this announcement and everything seems to be about the same.

Just curious if there is anything you can share yet?

Thanks!

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #170

3 months is barely a few weeks on “SmartThings time”, Dan!

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #171

You have to remember there is a cloud delay.

(might be my fake name?) #172

And Pluto is in retrograde…add seven more weeks for that

(Geko) #173

The SmartThings logo has been updated. I guess that was it. :wink:

(Andrea Bianco) #174

kinda looks like the Echo ring light?

(Steve White) #175

You are forgetting the mobile app dot releases that introduced several great new bugs, er, I mean features.

(Patrick Stuart [@pstuart]) #176

I’m sure TV integration, Android TV shield tv as well…

Then html solutions, dashboards, tablet interface, html5 interface, working simulator, ATOM plugin, refrigerator control, real local lan, real local execution, reliable scheduler, ble connectivity, USB cell support, SHM source code released, SLC device types released…

The list goes on and on.

But wait, we have the Samsung embedded wifi with a St hub in it launching July. Maybe this will actually see the light of day.

Promises, promises.

(Andrea Bianco) #177

Interesting you mention that Patrick, I was just poking around the dev’s to see if they knew if this “hub” within the Wi-Fi had any upgrades, improvements (even enabled the bluetooth maybe)? Just looked Netgears Orbi repackaged. Which interesting enough I just purchased last month.

(Patrick Stuart [@pstuart]) #178

But hey, at least there is official NEST support… Oh wait, nevermind.

Guess it really is just a logo change, 2.5 years. and all we get is a blue logo. Guess the packaging printing will be cheaper.

And, don’t forget about that amazing API that ST wants to let us use. Or the security fixes for oauth2 endpoints that can use any capability if you authorize even just one.

Yeah, lots of things “Coming soon”… “In a matter of weeks”… I guess we know why Slagle canceled the conference calls… Nothing to talk about for months (and probably months more).

It’s a joke really. This is the new ST, zero support, zero new… Just same ol, same old. Over promise, never deliver.

Until then, prove me wrong…

(Geko) #179

At least 2.5 years ago they were promising specific features. Now it’s just vague teasers of “great and exciting things” coming to the hub near you in a few weeks. Boring… :grin:

Well, you got one of your wishes delivered. Keep the conversation going so they push out more changes.

(Geko) #181

No kidding! It took only 4 years, but looks like iPad support is finally here. :smiley:

(Patrick Stuart [@pstuart]) #182

Well, one thing, a tablet interface, which was the easiest thing to technically do, but given how hard it was politically inside ST (assuming)… Given that timeline, I’m sure the rest of the stuff is coming in the next 4 years.

But seriously, the lack of communication AHEAD OF TIME!!! that UI changes are coming that effect developers is the real continuous disappointment.

Of course, they regressed font rendering in a bunch of tile layouts (AGAIN for the Nth time)… Same ol, same old…

“Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of Little Minds” - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

(Jody) #183

It’s actually the things that appear easy that usually end up being the hardest to solve at scale.
https://danluu.com/sounds-easy/

Lot’s of things in the latest release. Full list over here.

(Imperi Home) #184

Hello,

We have submitted the ImperiHome SmartApp (Plugin) 4 months ago - since them, no news or feedback on on when it will get published ?

How can we make it moving forward ?

The ImperiHome team

(Rudi Prunzel) #185

Referencing Tim (@slagle ) to see if he can help :slight_smile:
I’m currently using ImperiHome on 4 Tablets and would love to have SmartThings integration :wink:

(Tim Slagle) #186

As outlined in the first post in this thread, we are not accepting new (non-partner) submissions at this time.

If you want to request a partnership, please fill out a request at partners.smartthings.com