Important changes to Community Code Submissions and Developer Discussions

You can purchase the code to install it from someone else’s web storefront for a small donation. To get an update for it, you have to post a positive review about the badge though.

5 Likes

Oh man, that’s harsh… :wink: can’t I just buy it for free somehow?

2 Likes

Wish I knew what you guys were taking about. Feel like I missed out on an inside joke or something :frowning:

Forum badges. You earn “helpful” based on feedback from other community members. :heart_eyes:

https://community.smartthings.com/badges/108/helpful

2 Likes

Haha yeah, that’s not what I meant :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Judging by the fact that the last such badge was awarded to @tgauchat in Jan 2016, I’d say this badge is a manual award by the forum admins… :wink:

1 Like

We don’t even know what or rather who we’re talking about, and since you don’t know, trust me, life is good :wink:

3 Likes

Must have been one of those responsibilities Ben had that never got re-assigned…

He knows now… :wink:

1 Like

I’ve been here just over 4 years (does that count the old WordPress based Forum?).

It says I’ve made 7400 posts… I’m guessing it’s definitely under 3000 that have been SmartTiles or ActionTiles promotions. :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

If you folks want to discuss badges further, there’s a meta section in the forum for that. :wink:

https://community.smartthings.com/c/meta

2 Likes

I’ve been here for 8 months and I still have not received my paycheck.

Excuse mee…

6 Likes

Shouldn’t it be cookies for you?

2 Likes

3 Likes

So we get screwed on the community submissions so that we can buy another new tv?

@slagle said I was wrong on that, so who knows? But I still think when they do eventually release a system for their high-end televisions, it has to be more stable than the current hub-based system or they won’t release it. And limiting the smartapps available on it would make sense for that context. But maybe I’m completely wrong. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’m not sure why you guys assumed they are closing the platform and other bad things like that.
I read what @slagle wrote like this: they have finally realized that the current backend code or platform of whatever you want to call it is too limited and too broken, and have decided to stop trying to patch it and rewrite it from scratch. If that is true, that means huge potential rewards if everything goes according to plan and also big risk if it doesn’t.
I choose to remain optimistic.

Saw a commercial earlier for the worlds most incredible flashlight… you can freeze it, you can boil it, you can drop it hundreds (25) feet from a helicopter… it even has a debilitating flash to thwart thieves… but the best part… the absolute best part… wait for it…

Free Shipping and Handling…

for a separate fee:scream:

And definitely get a second one if you call within the next ten minutes?! They don’t realize the ridicule of the situation man, the shame of not having that badge, I tell ya…

I don’t disagree with you, you’re likely right in fact IMO.

However, ST is not stable without community apps either. SmartLighting and Routine Changes for example… garbage! Not stable, Not reliable… hence the use of Core and other apps to replace their intended functions.

Therefore, the equation is not as simple as limit community or other smartapps and use built in logic engines… as they are junk!

1 Like

Yes, but you can control internal built smartapps, you can’t control a community.

I venture a bet that one of the main reasons Samsung hasn’t allow SmartThings onto their TVs is community code and the “open” platform.

I can only imagine the hoops ST has to go through to get approvals for a mobile app / tv view, let alone code that runs an actual hub behind the scenes.

If it ever comes out, I expect it to be completely de-featured, limited to just looking at devices, if that and probably a limited, official only, like the Samsung Camera and samsung multisensor, and I would also bet on only being able to trigger routines and not actually interact with any device.

The mobile app would still probably have full control over the hub, I’m just talking Samsung on-screen ui, tizen app.

Just my two cents. I could be wrong…

2 Likes