Illuminance Sensor?

(Ajf) #1

I’m trying to configure a Smart App and it requires an input for a light sensor. Is there one that will work with ST (just for light sensing) other than the Aeon multi ? How do you configure apps to turn on lights only when dark?

(Jim Beletti) #2

AJF,

Regarding…

How do you configure apps to turn on lights only when dark?

Try this from the ST application:

• Dashboard
  • Lights and Switches
  • Gear Icon to the right of Lights and Switches
  • Add New Light/Switch
  • Name this Action, then click Next
  • Choose the Device (the light you want to turn on)
  • Choose an Icon, then click Next
  • Turn on using a schedule
  • Select Turn on at Sunset, click Next, then Done

So that is one way. Not a lot of flexibility but some. You can’t enter an offset using this method. Surely there are other ways and there are likely some canned ST apps that offer a solution. But this is a start.

Regarding…

I’m trying to configure a Smart App and it requires an input for a light sensor. Is there one that will work with ST (just for light sensing) other than the Aeon multi ?

Here’s one that seems to be luminance only only: Everspring ST815 - Wireless Illumination Detector

And as you know, there are many that do luminance plus other things. I’ll list those I know of in case the Everspring above isn’t what you want. Maybe you can choose the one with the fewest “other” features or the lowest cost or the best-fit form-factor for your needs:

• Aeon Labs - MultiSensor - Indoor and Outdoor - Motion/Temp/Humidity/Luminance/Battery
  • Homeseer- HSM100S2 - Indoor only - Motion/Temp/Luminance/Battery

Jim

(Ajf) #3

Ah thanks for all the info Jim! What I’m actually trying to do is the following:
I installed a multi on the door leading in from the garage, and I want the light to turn on only if it’s dark out (of course). And/or have it turn on when a presence sensor arrives, again only if it’s dark out.

(Jim Beletti) #4

AJF

Sounds like a tough one without writing the app.

Which Multi? And what is your trigger for the first part?

I installed a multi on the door leading in from the garage, and I want the light to turn on...

I see a conditional on the first part, being…

only if it’s dark out

Then in the second part…

And/or have it turn on when a presence sensor arrives

The and/or also sounds like a tough one without writing an app.

And then I see a conditional on the second part as well…

only if it’s dark out

Not asking for much are you? :slight_smile: Seriously, it would be cool to have this rich of an event generator app. Maybe some coding genius will write one :slight_smile:

Jim

(Ajf) #5

I’m using the ST multi. Really all I want is for the light to turn on when the door is opened, but only if it’s dark, because there’s no reason to turn the light on if it’s the middle of the day. Or even the same scenario when a mobile presence arrives, either one will work for me.

Am I asking to much for a light to turn on only if it’s dark lol? Am I missing something or is it not possible to do something this basic using SmartThings? I guess what’s needed is: “If This, AND This, Then That” type of logic?

(Jim Beletti) #6

AJF,

Try this from the ST mobile app:

• Apps
  • Explore By Device
  • Brighten Dark Places
  • Configure SmartApp
  • When the door opens…Where? - Select your door’s MultiSensor
  • And it’s dark…Where? - Select your luminance sensor
  • Turn on a light…Which? - Select which light/switch
  • Assign a name - Name it what you want
  • Install

Jim

(Ajf) #7

Thanks Jim I’ll try that. Won’t have the illumination sensor until next week though.
It would be great if they added Dusk + or - to the apps. They have Dusk and Dawn on IFTTT but without any way to offset.

(Jim Beletti) #8

AJF,

I’m no coder, but at least one of St apps has the offset feature. Copying that element of code into the Brighten Dark Places app for a new Brighten Dark Places +/- app would do the trick. Consider submitting an app modification request in via a support ticket. Maybe ST will consider it.

On edit: What would be even better, or at least as good would be to have the conditional of luminance level. that way, the app can be used indoors where no ambient light gets to naturally and would still allow for automatic lighting based on how dark it is at the sensor.

(Mr B) #9

I am doing the same thing without a light sensor. I used the sunset sunrise app to change the system mode from daytime to night time based on my zip code. Works great. Then I have a multi on the back door. Have the “when it opens” app set to turn on the external light, but only during system mode “night”. I have not bothered using the presence to turn on the same light because being at my front door with the presence is enough for it to be seen by the system and I see no point in lighting the rear of the house. The range on them is just too large for localized situations like that

(Ajf) #10

Thanks Mr B that sounds great. I tried setting that up but I didn’t see where it asks for my zipcode. Would you mind doing a step by step for me so I can get it right?

(Ajf) #11

Jim thanks for your help too. Check out the Sunrise/Sunset app, it even has offsets. It still shouldn’t be this complicated to do though. If you are setting up a “recipe” involving lighting, the Sunrise/Sunset option should be listed.