IKEA Trådfri

I bought several E27 950 Lumen and GU10 400 Lumen at IKEA yesterday (they have a 20% discount in Sweden right now). No issues with pairing. Using the code from Edvald Eysteinsson and having the bulbs next to the Hub when pairing.

OK so ive just bought 2x ikea tradfri white 1000lm bulbs from ikea in the uk today. these where just the bulb on there own, E27 and using the b22 adapters from ikea ive had a very difficult time trying to pair these up, after doing a lot of reading on here i have successfully managed to pair both of my bulbs after struggling for 4 hours, but i seemd to off done the second one fairly quickly. so here is my method

Firstly add the custom ikea device type handler into your developer console so its ready

Now these newer bulbs do DIM but extremely quickly and very faintly once they have reset / put into pairing mode , i only just noticed it by chance and hey presto it showed up as a thing in my app.

I would also like to point out that i tried pairing these everyway possible, next to the hub, ontop, far away etc and i could get it to do it, but below is how i managed to do it, and the bulbs where upstairs and away from the hub with no issues

1. have the smartthings app open on your phone but NOT in search mode.
  2. have the bulb turned off
  3. switch the bulb on/off 7 times but count a second every time you switch it on and off whilst doing it , so this should take 13 seconds to do. (the reason for 13 is that you leave it turned on, on the final switch on.
  4. just after you leave it on the final time the bulb will dim ever so slightly and very very quickly, it is only just noticeable.
  5. now turn on search function in the mobile app and the “thing” should be there, from there its a case of rename it, and save / add it, then in developer page / devices, edit it to shown ikea tradfri and update, then refresh device in app and away you go…

hope this helps, just registered to post this.

2 Likes

So I just bought the new £7 GU10 Tradfri bulbs (white spectrum NOT adjustable).

I tried pairing with my Hue Bridge first with no success. I had to use the Touchlink function to get them to pair. They then appeared in the Hue app and worked fine.

Then went to ST and initially they were all there already (does ST poll the Hue Bridge occasionally to add any lights linked to that?). I then removed them and let them re-add themselves so they picked up the names I’d used in the Hue app (this took about 5 mins after I manually removed them).

They are just showing as LAN Hue Dimmable ‘Things’ in the IDE (along with the other Hue bulbs connected to my bridge). I guess I could try changing them to the IKEA-Tradfri device type as I have the edvaldeysteinsson DTH installed - but I guess there’s no point if it’s working fine through the Hue Bridge?

I’ve got them automated using a Smart Sense Motion Sensor which seems to work fine, although they turn on sequentially. Anyone know why this is? Not sure if it’s ST related or bulb related. It actually looks pretty cool in my narrow hallway, but it would look a bit naff if I had them in a big room.

I managed to pair a couple of 1000lm’s a few weeks after they 1st came out. A bit of a pain to pair with ST, but they work fine. I also set up the motion sensor that comes with one of them to operate them both together. I bought another set of sensor and bulb on Sunday. As I couldn’t remember what I did to pair them I had to try and find the thread that I used the first time. So after finding the instructions this morning I decided to get them up and running today. It took a lot longer this time, after setting and re-setting maybe 10 times for the sensor and 3 or 4 times for the bulb, they are up and running and working with ST. Why are they so hard to set up? surely it should be easy, after all they are supposed to be Z wave.

Yep, they’re supposed to be Z-Wave (or Zigbee), but they aren’t as most people have already stated. There are couple of Ikea lamps that use standards, but these lights aren’t.

The Trådfri devices are ZLL (ZigBee Light Link) like the Phillips Hue. SmartThings uses ZHA (ZigBee Home Automation). ZLL is supposed to fall back to ZHA if a ZLL coordinator is not found but I’m guessing that negotiation is why these bulbs are so hard to pair.

Hi! New guy in town. Using Hue earlier, now added a Smartthings hub. I have 3 Tradfri E27 980lm. I managed to connect 2 of them to the Hue hub, but then lost connection to one of them. Have been trying to connect them directly to Smartthings hub, but no luck. I’ve reset them so many times I cannot count them. My hub has FW 000.018.00022 and all Tradfri lights have the latest FW from the IKEA hub. Oh, I have installed Edvalds DH as well.

I am starting to lose hope that I will get these thingd working… Any ideas?

Is some one trying to figuring out how the puck and motion sensor works and making a handler for it?

Can you use the SmartThings motion sensor with these or can you use the TRÅDFRI one? Want to control two groups of four in my kitchen

You can use any compatible ST motion sensor with them once they’re paired.
The Tradfri motion sensor won’t work with ST… Unless there’s been a change I’ve not seen as I’ve got 1 sat at home doing nothing.

Thanks for the reply,Post 187 on here shows you how to pair it up

I’m on the webapp so I can’t see post numbers.
But do you mean shows how to pair the IKEA motion sensor?
EDIT:
Ah with you now didn’t realise the bar at the bottom was for post numbers I always thought it was page numbers lol.
Cheers for that I’d never seen that every time I looked on here it was just about the bulbs

Can you let me know how you get on with the motion sensor please, as I want to buy them for the kitchen.

Yeah will try it after work.
Reading through that I’m not sure I’m able to use the motion sensor the same way I use other motion sensors as it’s linked directly to the bulb so hot sure how to incorporate it into routines etc.
I’ll read properly later.

I had an issue of 2 of them that lost connection and I had to bring the closer to the Hub. What I found helps is have the app looking for devices and then turn on/off the bulb 7 times and leave on and then it will blink. Wait maybe 20 seconds and then in the APP go back and find that device and you should be now able to turn on/off/dim. Occasionally they drop the connection. I usually can refresh the color temperature or dimming setting and it will be active again. I’m using 4 smaller candelabra bulbs in my front porch outside lights. I haven’t had an issue with two of the 1000lumens A19 bulbs that are in the garage. They are more stable.

The rest of the house as Osram and Sengled bulbs and I don’t experience too much trouble with those.

Ok, my Ikea Trådfri bulbs lost connection to ST and cannot be controlled by ST anymore.

So I have 3 Ikea lights running for around 5 weeks without issue. It seems around the time my hub had an update the lights dont show os ON in the smarthings app.

They all work with motion sensors and still work fine coming on and off as required, it’s just that on the smarthings app and on action tiles they dont show as ON, they constantly say OFF even when physically on.

Has anyone else seen this issue?.

Yes, i had the same.

Because you probably control your lights with Ikea motion sensors the lights (they’re paired directly with the motion sensora) can fully operate without the ST hub so I’m afraid you also lost connection to the lights.

I have not been able to pair Ikea lights anymore to the ST hub.

Sorry I wasn’t clear in my description.

I have the lights paired with smarthings but I am using smarthings motion sensors to control the lights.

Sorry can’t help you just letting you know it may be a problem on your side as I’ve also got the IKEA lights and SmartThings motion sensors and everything’s working as it should be.