[OBSOLETE] Ikea Tradfri Wireless Dimmer Device Handler draft

Hello All,
As I wrote the original handler a long time ago I have now reviewed it and simplified it quite a lot. The dimmer will now work in more or less the same way as when paired directly with an IKEA bulb.

1. Quick turns clockwise/anticlockwise turn the level to 0 or 100 straight away
  2. Slow turns adjust the brightness gradually. The change in brightness happens after you stop turning the dimmer, just the way it has to work for now.

After I add this device handler SmartThings detects my dimmer every time and it works perfectly for me.

In the posts above some people have not been able to pair correctly for some reason, I would be useful if one of these people can try the new handler and report back if it now works for them, and if not I need to know what entries they get in the log during pairing. You should see a device fingerprint similar to this:

Raw Description 01 C05E 0810 02 06 0000 0001 0003 0009 0B05 1000 06 0003 0004 0006 0008 0019 1000

This is important because if SmartThings does not detect the dimmer as “IKEA Tradfri Dimmer” then it will not be configured to report turning events, even if you change the device handler later.

The device handler works by timing how long you turn the dimmer for, and this happens in the cloud, so if you have a very slow internet connection it may be a little flaky. If people do have trouble with this I can provide a different handler that doesn’t rely on timing and just jumps the brightness up or down by a fixed % when you turn the wheel, maybe 25% each time, so you could reach 100% brightness by turning 4 times. But first let’s make sure everyone can get it working.

So, on to the code! I have posted the new device handler here:

As with the previous handler you can use this together with the Smart Lighting app to control your lights, instructions are in the posts above and in the comments in the device handler.

Hopefully someone can try this out and report back how they get on,
Kris.

EDIT: I just added a new minor update, adding a “Configure” button to setup the dimmer to report turns. If the dimmer is not detected correctly when you add it to SmartThings you can change the device handler in the API then click this button to setup reporting of turn events. Hope it helps those with pairing issues!

4 Likes