[OBSOLETE] IKEA Tradfri RGB Bulbs (ZigBee with "CIE xy" color scheme)

I’d have to take a look. It is definitely not intended.

2 Likes

Please chech how the color picker behaves in the new app. It jumps around when a color selected. (Using the latest version of Android app.)

Can I use both apps on the same phone? I thought I’d have to wait to be migrated… I will try! Thanks

Of course you can. You can have both installed and you cannuse them simultaneously.

I have the same issue where the colour picker is off. Red becomes more purple. The colour accuracy on these bulbs doesnt let the standard full spectrum rbg chooser work well.

It is an issue that we are looking in to.

I suspect that it has to do with the spectrum that the bulb supports being less than the spectrum that the app shows.

If you try to select similar colors in Classic how does the behavior compare?

1 Like

Hi, are there any news on this issue? Are there anything we (ikea bulb users) can do to help?

I can see over at the Hubitat forum that they are having a discussion going: https://community.hubitat.com/t/dth-porting-ikea-rgb-bulb/10902
Some guy claims the bulbs are not RGB, and that they are incapable of rendering green color, which i think is true in the the smartthings app as well, but with the IKEA app I was perfectly able to set vibrant green color, so regardless of their claims I know that the bulbs are able to produce green light.

Thanks!

Hello dckirker. Any news on this?

@rpuls, I have installed today two E27 CWS 600lm bulbs, and the color control is disastrous.
First I tried to add them to Hue. It worked well, until I was trying to control the colours and the brightness together (scenes). The Hue system can handle differently the white spectrum from the colours. The white spectrum is capable to output more brightness than the colours. The bulbs are not reacting on some brightness changes when required together with colours.
The same applies for ST as well, in the Classic app. Scenes cannot control colours and brightness together. It somehow relates what order the commands are arriving to the bulb.
The color control is terrible still from Classic and the new app too, the new app jumps to different colours, the classic gives purple instead of red. It must be somewhere in the Hue and Saturation calculation that it is not working well. I guess the IKEA system issues different commands for the white spectrum than the colours.

@dckirker can you get a bulb somehow and test it?

Thanks for following up. I’m still frequently looking in to this. I might send an support email to IKEA att: smart home dep. and cross all my fingers that they are willing to give some information that we can make use of. I don’t think they would, but I do think it would benefit them if their devices are as cross compatible as possible, as their own hub and app environment is not powerful enough for the average smart home user.

I believe, something is wrong with the color picker and the calculations in the new app. That should be fixed by ST. We cannot fix the picker UX.
Otherwise, I am starting to be disappointed with the Tradfri bulbs. Bought a couple recently and from 3 pieces of E14 bulb 3 has a buzzing noise when turned off by a zigbee command. From this 3, one of them is a dimmable candle bulb, that is still acceptable, but the other two white spectrum is really loud. Complete disappointment.

1 Like

Well luckily for me I did not encounter that behavior. all mine are completely silent. I can also say that they behave differently after being updated by the IKEA hub, if you have 3 bulbs and never connected them to the IKEA eco system, I believe there is no way for you to update your bulbs firmware. I also read somewhere that there is difference in the bulbs them selves, some are an early model with cheaper LEDs and some newer ones branded with same model name should have another set of LEDs that should be of higher quality, I have no clue how to tell which is which though, but mine are bought quite recently so I would assume that they are of the newer model.

Hello. Could we please get an update on this? It’s been several months now, I have now been living with very poor lightning, can I at least be informed whether I need to go out a spend another $500+ on new light bulbs that actually works or can I expect these to be fixed at all?.. or anytime soon…

I tried using Alexa to set the colours today which seems to have a different range from those in the IKEA app. I used the IDE to check the Hue and Saturation and was not able to get any of the numbers I wanted using the ST UI.

Just having a couple of fields in the UI where we can type a number would fix this!

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 00.21.26

Please report this problem in the smartthings app (I was encouraged to do as the response of opening a support ticket). The more reports the better chance that they will actually fix it. They listed the bulb as compatible device so I kinda feel like they are obligated to fix it. I don’t thinks its fair advertising something works when it doesn’t… Mistakes is inevitable, but its more than half a year ago dckirker claimed that they were aware of the issue, and yet nothing has happened…

smartthings app -> hamburger menu -> contact us -> report a problem -> "hello, my TRADFRI light bulb is not wroking… wrong colors… etc etc.

1 Like

Any update on this? Ive got Two rgb bulbs and I would like to actually use The colors from The ST app. Google home does a good job in The meantime

Is there an updated version for using on the newer smartthings app? on the classic it worked great but on the new one Im only able to turn on and off, not sure if others are having the same issue with the GUI.

Are there any news on native support in SmartThings for the TRÅDFRI RGB bulbs? A while back there where discussions regarding implementing this but I still cannot use anything else than the custom DTH for my RGB bulbs. I mean Hue supports TRÅDFRI RGB right? And Hue themselves uses hue/sat color, not XY?

I’m currently on the v2 hub and the “new” app

Native support for Tradfri RGB bulbs has been around awhile. The color rendering can be a bit weird, though, which is discussed in this thread.

I noticed that it was actually this thread that I was thinking of. :slight_smile: But well, support for me would be that the bulb works as expected when it comes to color. In my case it is mostly the red that seems to be impossible to get. Which DTH should be used “natively”? Zigbee RGB Bulb? Just to be sure that I’m testing the right thing