Ikea Tradfri on/off Switch [square] battery reporting

Latest button, 15 day from Druace battery, connected directly to main ST Wifi hub in same room. Still reporting 87% despite testing at 0%!

Just about to throw them all out!!!

I have the same issue with IKEA 5 button remote and the square remote. Batteries go flat within a day or two. All connected to the main ST Wi Fi hub v3. Although design and functionality are good cannot use because of the battery drain issue. Would appreciate if anyone has found a solution.

1 Like

My batteries died again weeks ago so I havenā€™t been using them because of the effort required to get them working again. Now that flic 2 buttons work with Alexa routines natively, I am going all in on this solution instead. I donā€™t have them yet but it sounds promising and should give me everything Iā€™m looking for. I ordered this combo and canā€™t wait for it to arrive (sign up for their email distribution list to get 10% off): Flic 2 Pro Kit | New - 6x Flic 2 and Flic Hub LR | Flic Smart Button

How are they working? Battery life?

Two thumbs up from me! I just got them a few weeks ago and itā€™s a game changer. Very very reliable, and the battery life is supposed to last up to 3 years and are user replaceable. I also bought the sticker pack so I can label them. Works great with Alexa routinesā€¦ a little buggy here and there, but for the most part they are extremely reliable when you get them to work with a routine (once it works, it always works going forward). I got 6, and might order 3 more :slight_smile: ANDā€¦. Just recently they updated the app to also support SmartThings! For now it only works with Scenes, but to get integration like this across Alexa and SmartThings (and Homekit, etc.) is a win win. Very expensive though for these buttons, but if youā€™re frustrated with the button journey like me, it pretty much ends now in getting these suckers :slight_smile: I still have a lot to learn with themā€¦ just need to find the time to really fine tune.

has anyone found a solution to the low battery problem for ikea dimmers?

I just set up a second ikea tradfri on/off button.
Both buttons have the same model, fw, app #, ID #, dth, device name. However the original one reports battery level (accurately and no drain issue). The new button reports 0% battery in the ST app but functions consistently. Any idea why the new one isnā€™t reporting battery level and how to fix it?

Way back in April when an ST engineer was looking into the battery drain issue for me, I had noticed I had a couple of buttons with 0% battery reports. The engineer spotted that the battery reporting configuration was being blocked (or something like that) and got me to power cycle a couple of outlets that they were repeating through and then pair the devices again. That did cure the issue but Iā€™ve seen it on and off a lot since then (Iā€™ve had to pair a lot of buttons).

The offending outlets were Ikea Tradfri. That may have been significant. I rather wish all my IKEA stuff had the latest firmware.

So power cycle (on/off or unplug) the repeaters that the button is routing through and then repair (delete and readd or just repair) the button?

I donā€™t normally delete the buttons, I just go through the pairing process again. That way I end up with the same device.

Otherwise that would be what Iā€™d try.

1 Like

Thanks. I now have battery level reporting