IFTTT SmartThings routine as a trigger?

I’d like to be able to have audible notifications when a routine is triggered via IFTTT. The problem I’m having is with ST reporting a routine change to IFTTT. Is there any way to do this? I’m familiar with having a virtual switch trigger a routine, but I’m asking for the opposite to happen.

The opposite way is done just the opposite. :sunglasses:

Instead of having the routine start when a virtual switch comes on, just have the routine turn on a virtual switch. Then use that virtual switch coming on as the “if” in your IFTTT applet. Or have anything on the SmartThings platform subscribe to that virtual switch coming on, depending on what you’re using for the audible alerts.

1 Like

I can’t believe I didn’t think of that… (facepalm)
Thanks a bunch, wish I realized that last night.

1 Like

And this is probably obvious, but you need the switch to turn off again after The routine turns it on each time so will be ready for the next “on”.

There are two easy ways to do this. Either use a virtual momentary tile so that the switch always turns itself off (it’s like a regular doorbell button, off until you push it, then it’s on for just a moment, and then it’s off-again). Or set up a separate smart lighting automation to use power allowance to have a binary switch turn itself off after one minute. Both work, it’s just a matter of taste. :sunglasses:

I actually used the power allowance for SHM and for routines I had the opposite action turn the switch off. (Simulated “im back” switch turned off when Goodbye is triggered)

1 Like

silly question but how do you get a routine to trigger a virtual switch? Which App?

Once you’ve created a virtual switch, it shows up as a switch in your things list like any physical switch. And it will be available to any routine or smart lighting automation or smart app. So you just have the routine turn on the switch, just like you would have a routine turn on a light. :sunglasses::level_slider::bulb:

2 Likes

Excellent thank you. I guess I didn’t realize a standard routine does this.

1 Like

It didn’t always, they added the capability in the last year sometime.