IFTTT and SmartThings (UK accounts)

Nope… still not yet. This is entirely on SmartThings’s shoulders. Must be very frustrating for them as well, though I’m insanely curious about the details of the problem.

@625alex and I are keeping a very close watch on the situation. Being insanely curious makes us wonder if there’s any practical workaround while we wait for SmartThings to implement a global fix; but it is really so far out of our control :confounded: … we don’t want to sidetrack Version 6 work for a wild goose chase that leads nowhere.

Why engineers don’t give completion estimates until the solution is fully designed:

Of course, that doesn’t explain why it went into wide release without knowing the problem existed.

2 Likes

What evidence is there that they didn’t know and released anyway? I’m quite serious.
Remember that September 3rd was a hard deadline for IFA Berlin. A UK launch delay was off the table.

It’s frustrating that Samsung have released a product that is not feature complete despite marketing it as such. I have complained to the ASA before and will have no hesitation in doing so again.

Of course this is just one of the advertised features that is not available…

I’m curious, what’s missing that makes it not feature complete?

So far I’ve discovered

Oauth in the UK
Account sharing
Presence detection in Android

I’ve still not used most of the starter kit (as it is review kit)

Yes, the lack of account sharing is a PITA!
Presence detection works for me in both Android & iOS.
Not sure what OAUTH offers :smile:

OAuth offers integration with pretty much any of the web services SmartThings advertised to work with. IFTTT, Logitech Harmony, etc.

1 Like

OAuth allows you to authorize a third-party service to control your SmartThings devices, or even just get information from them.

Whether you need that or not just depends on what you’re trying to do.

For example, I myself am quadriparetic, use a wheelchair with limited hand control. For that reason, voice control is very important to me. SmartThings doesn’t come with built in voice Control.

In the United States, we can buy the Amazon echo and there is a great official integration with SmartThings. However, it requires basically authorizing Amazon to turn on your SmartThings switches.

Of course, Amazon is not yet offering echo in the UK. However, there is still a voice alternative, which is to send voice texts to IFTTT, and have that trigger the SmartThings devices. I used this myself before Amazon was released in the US, and I have several online friends in similar circumstances to myself in the UK who were waiting for SmartThings so they could use this method. However, since Oauth is broken for the UK, they can’t use IFTTT, which means they have no voice options.

Other very popular third-party services include a dashboard tablet app that lets you see the status of all your devices, a widget app that lets you add control widgets to an android device, and even some thermostats and other Wi-Fi connected devices.

Some people also connect devices like Wi-Fi scales or coffeemakers that have their own cloud services.

Even the most recent official blog from SmartThings highlighted weatherbug, a weather service that also requires OAuth.

And then there’s Logitech Harmony, one of the more popular universal remotes, which has an excellent official integration with SmartThings to let you, say, have a motion sensor turn on your entertainment devices. Works very well for current US accounts. Unfortunately, without OAuth there is no way to give harmony permission to get the information from the sensors associated with your SmartThings account.

Essentially if you have a service that requires you to sign into a website and you want to be able to connect your SmartThings devices to that service, OAuth is the typical process that validates your account to share information with that service. It doesn’t work with all websites, just ones that have prior arrangements with SmartThings, but it is the authentication mechanism used for many of those agreements

So some people will find it very useful, some people will find it fun but not that important, and some people won’t need it at all.

3 Likes

So who can we lobby at Samsung to get this sorted, anyone have contact name / email?

On record, lets hope so!

Hey Ravi,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

We have been advised that Oauth will be released very shortly, we are talking weeks rather than months now. best thing to do would be to keep checking the thread.

Kind regards,

Ryan W

Déjà vu anyone?

Stock reply it would seem

1 Like

Yeah it was listed as “Weeks” “Months” ago… No don’t trust that one bit.

1 Like

I was told:

I’m unable to give a specific time scale, our engineers are reporting back that it will be a few weeks. I don’t want to give you any incorrect information, as it is out of my hands as a support agent.

I can only give you the information that I have been given by the engineers unfortunately. I understand your frustrations, we are prodding them with sharp stick as we speak.

Objection, Your Honor… Hearsay! Inadmissible, strike from the record.

Seriously… There is no such thing as “a few days” or “a few weeks” when it comes to SmartThings fix/feature release schedules. I only risk to presume that if a person of sufficient authority gives a specific date, then you can get your hopes up; but don’t bet the rent money.

Otherwise, just remember that when Hub V2 was announced in January with an April release target, we were told it would just be “a few weeks” more … And it turned out to be September 3rd.

All the above also applies to “before the end of the year” (migration tools), and “early 2016” (big improvements in local processing).

The fact is that SmartThings does not publish their priority list and does not accurately estimate release schedules. So it’s a waste of effort to ask.

I would strongly advise SmartThings to never use any time related terminology, including vague ones like “in a few weeks™” and others mentioned here. It’s bad for reputation, and abuses customer trust.

1 Like

This is an outright joke. Bought smartthings specifically for ifttt and Logitech integration and then find this out. It will be packaged back up and returned tomorrow morning.

There is no server issue that should take a Web 2.0 company weeks or months to fix.

1 Like

But will you buy it again in a few months or years when this problem is resolved?

NB: SmartThings has to ramp up sales to millions of units in order to be a long term viable business unit. The few thousand early adopter sales gained or lost now are not important in the big picture. That’s the advantage a huge company like Samsung has. They can recover from early reputation stumbles relatively easily. In fact, SmartThings still has a stellar reputation per mainstream media reviews…

1 Like

No. I won’t buy it again. I think it’s a clear indication of things to come. And I work in the mainstream media, covering technology specifically. I’ve been waiting for the UK release for well over a year and it was always ‘just around the corner’. Just like this fix.

Plenty of other hubs on the market.

Right, that’s it. I’ve had enough of being ignored and fluff from Aaron.

I’ve gathered all the marketing for ST UK launch via Samsung and Currys. I’ve worked in advertising for nearly 20 years, and this clearly breaks numerous codes of conduct. I’ll be contacting ASA, and poss trade descriptions if I have time tomorrow. I’ll cc in writer at CNET I know. Perhaps a few journos on the case may uncover things from this launch sham.

1 Like

This needs to be seen by a wider audience to prompt ST to pull their fingers out of their backsides and sort this out. At the very least a hard deadline for being sorted out.

I’m sure if I had a spare few days I could set up workarounds, but I’ve not coded for years.

One more point. This is sold in a mainstream consumer store. Currys. Most people shopping their aren’t coders. My dad shops there, and he can’t set up a TV. This will be causing headaches to anyone who’s bought it. I had to help another customer out yesterday as none of the staff at Currys had a clue how it worked. Some don’t even know what it is… There’s a Samsung guy there occasionally, but I even had to explain the 'IFFFT situ to him as he wasn’t aware of it. I asked him what it worked with… He said everything!? I wish I’d recorded that to add to my email tomorrow!

1 Like