IFTTT and SmartThings (UK accounts)

Hi

Thanks for the clarification. I’ve used a couple of integrations now which have done that, although I’d need to go back and check which. That’s a bit worrying if it’ll break at some point, but good to hear that this won’t be the proper way ahead.

@Tim_Flinders can you elaborate on how you got ST to control Harmony? I had it working - i’m not sure how but now it doesn’t.
What does adding the device type do?
Creating the smart app and “installing” doesn’t do anything as far as I can tell.
Very frustrating too that ST say they’re not planning on supporting Harmony in UK??
Given it is already functional in US why wouldn’t they just make it work in UK too?
Realise the flipside of Harmony directly controlling ST needs Harmony to make the Oauth change.
Thanks,
Tom

@TomM it works through a SmartApp, so you need to add the Logitech Harmony (Connect) smart app using the mobile app. I used the standard smart app and didn’t add it manually in the web. If you can’t find it, it can be found as a smart app template. I just looked at my mobile app and couldn’t see it in the Marketplace but it might not show if you have installed it I guess.

The SmartApp will talk to the Logitech Hub and add Devices for all your remote activities. Open the SmartApp once installed and it discovers the Hub, once you select your hub it will discover the activities and create devices for each one.

Hopefully that helps a little bit.

@Aaron

My understanding is that the Harmony connect and harmony trigger apps were removed from the mobile app for UK customers about a month ago and are not presently available for them.

Has this changed?

If they have removed it, I can say it works perfectly for me in the UK now so whatever the reason it works now.

I guess it is possible I had it installed previously, I remember I originally added it before the Oauth fixes and it definitely didn’t work and then started working.

1 Like

Harmony is not currently supported in the UK - it might work, but the integration hasn’t gone through our QA process yet and therefore we cannot support it.

Hi Aaron, does this mean it is about to go through QA process?

Many of us bought ST on the basis of this integration, some are frustrated by this, some of us patient, but the lack of information or options will gradually turn the latter into the former. I used to be a product manager at SAMSUNG in the UK and would not allowed this to hit the shelves despite the commitments to Dixons. Would I have known, well yes with one test (and familiarity with V1) it was fairly easy to see that apps were still pointing to graph.api …

Now besides a fix the only way to keep “fans” of ST from seeking other solutions is ST providing information. Yes we are the fans seeking out solutions, many ST users will not look to a forum and will just drive a high return rate, perhaps give a bad review or put it on eBay.

I don’t think it is too much to ask to give some level of transparency or at least communicate status (Not timelines as history has not been good there) /options (including that of a return). We do not support Harmony in the UK will otherwise far too easily be translated to we as Samsung don’t care about the early adopters of the product in the UK, I am fairly sure that is not the case; but whether you are a Kickstarter startup or one of the biggest companies in the world this is how you will be judged.

3 Likes

@Aaron @thedezza
Given @timflinders has it working (as did I at one point when it was available within the mobile app) and @juano2310 says on this topic Harmony Connect App Crashing that it should work in the UK, it just isn’t available I can’t understand why this isn’t available.
It is understood that the oauth issue won’t allow a connection from Harmony to Smartthings at the moment (although Logitech have at least stated they DO intend to support it and ARE working on it) but given it clearly DOES work the other way round, why is this not being allowed and given you must be planning to support it as logitech are it seems churlish to be non-commital and say it hasn’t gone through QA etc. Rather than just state “yes we will support it, this is the issue we’re working to fix it, please be patient”.
Unless there is no plan to support it and they want to stop people returning their starter packs. If Harmony and EvoHome aren’t (back) working soon, that is exactly what I intend to do as it isn’t fit for purpose!
Can we have confirmation that this will be back available soon so it isn’t just @timflinders who has it working in the whole UK?

2 Likes

There are both technical and business challenges as we expand globally. The high level summary (and this is not considered a status update), is that we don’t have a SmartThings Labs program in UK. Before an integration goes live in a new region, it must go through business agreements, technical integration, laboratory testing, real world testing, (<-note the oxford comma) and support documentation & training. I know there is demand for Harmony in the UK and we are looking to get it right in the new market. Stay tuned for updates!

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the insight on Smartthings process. We all (I think) appreciate there is more to it than just a bit of code. The expectation was that this was something delivered at launch. So when you buy something (let’s say a car) and a feature (eg Bluetooth connectivity) doesn’t get delivered you expect the manufacturer to report about when it might arrive/what phase of the process it’s at or offer an alternative (car) that does meet the needs of the purchaser. Your update has set out that things need to happen, licensing from Bluetooth, development, testing etc. but still no transparency in terms of where it actually is with respect to this integration.

Smartthings in my opinion chose a flawed architecture when expanding to the first new market, mistakes get made, but now the first customers are being made to feel they are waiting for a feature that was a future roadmap item, “Bluetooth 5.0” maybe for that car. So we are being asked to be patient as if we are ones asking for more than promised. Where smartthings do not seem to really be saying, “sorry loyal users we have made some errors, we’re human, we have business agreements in place we are in the end user testing phase, please be patient with us, we will keep you informed.” I am not out to shoot the messenger, I do actually have Harmony to Smartthings hub working in fact (v1) but for a few reasons I have 3 x v2 hubs, the money does not so much bother me, more that they are paperweights to me and that the moral obligation of an organization to deliver on their promises really bothers me and lastly the personal part the custom integration built for my lighting to work from my Harmony only works on a v2 hub.

So @Aaron I am grateful for a response but we do request a “human” organization from Smartthings; perhaps I expect too much but my paperweights take up quite some space too so I’d like to figure out if they remain in my home and whether I continue to invest money, time, configuration in Smartthings.

This is broken again…

@Aaron - sorry but that is a crap excuse. You are SELLING A PRODUCT with a LOT of promises on the UK website - where most are not kept. You are in violation of advertising standards and misleading your consumers who purchase the products.

Compatible with 100’s of devices is one of your statements on the UK website ---- - NOPE THERE ARE 56 where quite a few are not implemented yet for UK Users - or “coming soon”. In reality there are about 30 that works and are “?fully” supported. The rest is only supported partly or more fully through USER CONTRIBUTED CODE - which requires consumers to manually ADD code via your Dev interface. That is NOT how you treat consumers. Every time your marketing department writes lies like that on your website - you end up damaging your brand. Your consumer product is NOT ready until your dad or mum can figure out how to set it up. Right now it should be labelled " for DYI users only with software development experience"

This product is clearly in BETA (actually more correct is denomination is ALPHA) and should NEVER have been released in the state it is in. But for us who can use your products through other ways of implementation - it is great as there are plenty of offers on eBay with exceptional low prices.

Today I bought an extra full starter kit for 100 pound - brand new in box never opened… And there are many more where that came from. That is a 50% discount on a brand new launched product… That does not look too good in my book.

… How it used to be: Beta releases are normally “All known bugs fixed or documented and identified” - where Alpha release are normally “Known bugs and not feature complete” - but in recent years most developers only use Beta - no matter what state their code is in. Some companies call Alpha releases for Beta and Beta for Release Candidates… But by any definition SmartThings is somewhere between Alpha & Beta for UK users.

2 Likes

Wow… on eBay USA, hubs, etc., have a 20% to 40% premium (extra) cost. Darned if that makes any sense. Guess there’s a shortage in the stores and Amazon?

Speaking of Amazon, their “Refurbished Department” (Warehouse Deals) has “Very Good Condition” Hubs for $84 … a bit more savings than the 10% off just sent out as a Christmas sale…

eBay UK after a very quick look - one seller offering BNIB Starter Kits £119.99 with free P&P on Buy it Now

Product features
•Works with hundreds of compatible devices to enhance your home
•Everything you need to start creating a smart home
•Hub / Motion Sensor / Multi Sensor / Presence Sensor / Power Outlet
•iOS & Android & Windows Phone compatible
•1 Year Guarantee

Even cheaper if you are willing to go through bidding from others.

There are various “Things” well under price.

Meanwhile at Currys … ( Yes I am biased, I hate the store with a vengeance )

1 Like

So I’ve gotten my IFTTT account setup to integrate my wemo motion sensors with Smart Things because currently they will add to Smart things but fall asleep after an hour rendering them useless.

No amount of custom coding I tried can make these motion sensors stay active. My problem is that I’ve set up an IFTTT recipe to play my sonos when the wemo motion is triggered and nothing happens.

The lag is lasting 15 minutes now and counting!. If I go into my IFTTT app and press the check now button the trigger happens and the sonos starts playing. I remember using wemo switches some time ago to trigger some Philips hue lights and the lag was seconds, not minutes.

Anyone else having this issue??.

This kind of lag makes motion events useless through IFTTT.

Thanks in advance.

Cross posting this here since there was a lot of talk about making SmartRules available to UK users here:

2 Likes

So Harmony has also finally made changes and connection with v2 UK hub has been made!

1 Like

This is shocking. Have Samsung actually acknowledged the oath issue and gave any updates or timescales as to when it will be fixed?

I think it’s going to get returned if there’s no fix/announcement soon.

Most Oauth connections now fixed, IFTTT, Harmony are both done. Proactive communication and ownership of the problem is still an issue (Even though the problem in itself seems to be fixed for most)

2 Likes

Harmony Hub still don’t work for UK servers.