IFTTT and SmartThings (UK accounts)

3 Likes

Thought Iā€™d update the list:

LIFX - Fail, doesnā€™t even start the smartapp [Manual workaround available]
SmartRules - Fail, comes up with error "client is not associated with a SmartApp in location"
Amazon Echo - Fail, comes up with error "client is not associated with a SmartApp in location"
IFTTT - Pass!
SmartTiles - Pass!

2/5 - not badā€¦ but it would be nice to have the lot working correctly before Xmas!

1 Like

SmartRules is ready, just waiting for approval!

3 Likes

Thanks for the recognition, Adam! Believe me, we pulled a few all-nighters in our goal to get SmartTiles :uk: UK built and deployed (and stable!) as quickly as possible. Weā€™ve had lots of installs and positive feedback.

4 Likes

@obycode - Great, looking forward to it!

1 Like

do we know if a LIFX fix is being worked on by them?

• 1 on getting an update on LIFX

@obycode any update on when the new code will be approved? Really looking forward to trying SmartRules out.

Weā€™re beginning that process :smile:

2 Likes

LIFX bulbs are back in the UK app, and worked perfectly for me, looks like this is resolved too

1 Like

I have seen on the community forums here that you can workaround the Harmony issue by creating a location on the US server and copying everything over.

Smartthings support have told me you need a US hub to talk to a US server. Is that the case?

Is there any real reason why I couldnā€™t just create a location on the US server and set everything up on there? Are there any issues or drawbacks to doing this?

When creating your Account, you must have a Hub and that Hub goes in your initial Location. Your Account must belong to either the US or UK (currently) and that setting is limited by the firmware of your Hub (i.e., you cannot create a US account using the UK hub).

Letā€™s call this your ā€œAccount Regionā€. You cannot change the Region of your Account. Locations can be anywhere geographically, but, to the best of my knowledge, cloud processing is not based on physical or even ā€œdefinedā€ Locations, but solely on the Account Region.

I got the same info from Smartthings support too, I was asked if there was a way I could buy from the US (I have a v1 hub now from the US)

If you want a US ā€œAccount Regionā€, then you may be able to have a US friend temporarily activate a hub on a new account for you and then detach it. Then you could add a UK Hub to your Account ā€¦ but I have no idea if that will work (i.e., a mixed-Region Account).

Soā€¦ you could use a US Hub in the UK ā€¦ but the Z-Wave frequencies are not compatible; and it is likely import contraband.

1 Like

Really?
I have a UK Hub, and a mixture of US and UK sensors thanks to some too-long-to-describe-here shenanigans.
I think my sensors are US Motion Multi and Water, and UK Motion (x2) and Multi. Should I be expecting any weird happenings in the future? Itā€™s all working as expected at the minute, with the exception of my US presence sensor but I think theyā€™re still universally broken arenā€™t they? Plus mine might be more broken because the case popped open and dropped the PCB onto the wet pavement :frowning:

But yes, when I had a US Hub I had to claim it by hitting the US button in the app despite being geographically in the UK, when it was swapped out for a UK hub the claim code would only work in the UK section.

ZigBee based sensors/devices (and LAN/IP and Cloud-to-Cloud integrations) will be stable. ZigBee is 2.4Ghz like WiFi and global standard. I believe that all the current SmartThings branded Things are ZigBee.

Z-Wave has different frequencies by region (I think 3 ā€¦ or 4 around the world), and the hub cannot be reprogrammed for a different frequency.

Aaah right, so if itā€™s working right now itā€™s going to be fine?
They might even be UK sensors across the board, I donā€™t know if thereā€™s a way to checkā€¦ However I shall be content that itā€™s all working wonderfully apart from the exploding presence sensor. Thanks for the reassurance.

2 Likes

Activating it should be fine anywhere I believe it is just the code region needs to match the account region as you said. I have a US hub now and account now, I wasnā€™t able to do that but I didnā€™t ā€œdetachā€. So my two UK hubs remain in their boxes. The only reason I want to migrate is this actually Newbie to Smartthings - Philips Dynalite help needed

95% of control happens through the harmony remote (purchased in Canada as was pre Europe release) in my house I have a US friend expecting some goodies from Amazon tomorrow for me but yet another hub is not on the list

1 Like

This remains a fu*king joke. 80% of my devices still donā€™t work. Iā€™m assuming you are offering refunds to people outside of their return period?

I canā€™t believe the community is being so gracious and working their asses off to find workarounds for this massive cockup.

If we were in America, youā€™d be facing a class action lawsuit. But we just Brits just put up with it.

To add insult to injury, you offered the starter kit at Ā£50 discount for Black Friday. So the early birds, eager to try your kit out, get stuck with a box that doesnā€™t work and pay a premium for it.

No doubt, there will be several thousand new owners joining the discussion in the coming days to say that they paid 150 quid for a product that canā€™t even do what the website advertises and they will probably feel ripped off too, even with the discount. 150 or 200, itā€™s an expensive bloody paperweight.

And without this forum, I wouldnā€™t know what was going on. Not a single email, not an apology. Not an offer of discount on a future devices. Nothing. Just months of ā€˜we are working on it. In the meantime, f**k offā€™

Jokers.

1 Like

Harmony Hub - Sorry we canā€™t retrieve your devices

Roomie - Client is not associated with SmartApp

Since they are the only 2 things I bought SmartThings for, my SmartThings purchase remains utterly useless.

Timeframes donā€™t mean anything, because you continue to miss them. If your partners need to do something on their end - MAKE THEM DO IT.

Iā€™ve been waiting over a month for my product to work. Now Iā€™m past the return period.