IFTTT and SmartThings (UK accounts)

I know that this has caused consternation for lots of IFTTT users. As a novice I don’t really know what IFTTT can offer to ST users.

Would it be possible on this, or a new, thread for IFTTT users to showcase what they can do with IFTTT please?

Thanks.

I think a new thread would be best :wink:

Here you go!

The following is a clickable link to a topic in the project section of the forms. You can use this to just enter a brief overview of how you would use IFTTT with SmartThings and give a link to the specific forum topic where you discuss the project/method in detail. :sunglasses:

Any news on the Harmony integration? Would be great if this could be fixed.

Does anyone know if this is on the radar and being worked on?

3 Likes

Thought I’d update the list:

LIFX - Fail, doesn’t even start the smartapp [Manual workaround available]
SmartRules - Fail, comes up with error "client is not associated with a SmartApp in location"
Amazon Echo - Fail, comes up with error "client is not associated with a SmartApp in location"
IFTTT - Pass!
SmartTiles - Pass!

2/5 - not bad… but it would be nice to have the lot working correctly before Xmas!

1 Like

SmartRules is ready, just waiting for approval!

3 Likes

Thanks for the recognition, Adam! Believe me, we pulled a few all-nighters in our goal to get SmartTiles :uk: UK built and deployed (and stable!) as quickly as possible. We’ve had lots of installs and positive feedback.

4 Likes

@obycode - Great, looking forward to it!

1 Like

do we know if a LIFX fix is being worked on by them?

• 1 on getting an update on LIFX

@obycode any update on when the new code will be approved? Really looking forward to trying SmartRules out.

We’re beginning that process :smile:

2 Likes

LIFX bulbs are back in the UK app, and worked perfectly for me, looks like this is resolved too

1 Like

I have seen on the community forums here that you can workaround the Harmony issue by creating a location on the US server and copying everything over.

Smartthings support have told me you need a US hub to talk to a US server. Is that the case?

Is there any real reason why I couldn’t just create a location on the US server and set everything up on there? Are there any issues or drawbacks to doing this?

When creating your Account, you must have a Hub and that Hub goes in your initial Location. Your Account must belong to either the US or UK (currently) and that setting is limited by the firmware of your Hub (i.e., you cannot create a US account using the UK hub).

Let’s call this your “Account Region”. You cannot change the Region of your Account. Locations can be anywhere geographically, but, to the best of my knowledge, cloud processing is not based on physical or even “defined” Locations, but solely on the Account Region.

I got the same info from Smartthings support too, I was asked if there was a way I could buy from the US (I have a v1 hub now from the US)

If you want a US “Account Region”, then you may be able to have a US friend temporarily activate a hub on a new account for you and then detach it. Then you could add a UK Hub to your Account … but I have no idea if that will work (i.e., a mixed-Region Account).

So… you could use a US Hub in the UK … but the Z-Wave frequencies are not compatible; and it is likely import contraband.

1 Like

Really?
I have a UK Hub, and a mixture of US and UK sensors thanks to some too-long-to-describe-here shenanigans.
I think my sensors are US Motion Multi and Water, and UK Motion (x2) and Multi. Should I be expecting any weird happenings in the future? It’s all working as expected at the minute, with the exception of my US presence sensor but I think they’re still universally broken aren’t they? Plus mine might be more broken because the case popped open and dropped the PCB onto the wet pavement :frowning:

But yes, when I had a US Hub I had to claim it by hitting the US button in the app despite being geographically in the UK, when it was swapped out for a UK hub the claim code would only work in the UK section.

ZigBee based sensors/devices (and LAN/IP and Cloud-to-Cloud integrations) will be stable. ZigBee is 2.4Ghz like WiFi and global standard. I believe that all the current SmartThings branded Things are ZigBee.

Z-Wave has different frequencies by region (I think 3 … or 4 around the world), and the hub cannot be reprogrammed for a different frequency.