Identifying an unknown, unexpected catchall

This catchall is appearing repeatedly in my hub event list:

catchall: 0000 8038 00 00 0140 00 0000 00 00 0000 00 00 000000F8FF071900070010A7A7A4B0B7BAC6AEB6A6A5

How would i go about identifying what it is? I’m not aware of any currently disconnected devices…

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section, i’m not sure where i should have put it

You should contact ST support https://support.smartthings.com :slight_smile:

Thanks,

I would have thought they have enough to deal with, without me adding to their workload over something i’m not too worried about, though should no further advice appear here i may do that.

by way of a bit more information, it seems to appear roughly half hourly, although there are a couple of bigger gaps and a couple where it’s a smaller gap.

1 Like

Does it appear in Live Logging. If so, have you tried clicking on the individual device filters at the top to try identify which one is emitting it?

I did find while pairing all my Xiaomi devices that I was caught out many times picking the wrong catchall. It turned out that the GE Link bulbs I had from the early days were sending out catchall’s all the time when looking in the hub logs. They were known for their software issues so maybe you are seeing one of these?

To start with, it’s a Zigbee device. The 8038 could be the DNI (Device Network ID), so check your device list for any match to that.

If no match, try manually creating a new device, with 8038 as the Network ID, and assigning it one of the SmartThings generic Zigbee device handlers for what you most suspect the kind of device it may be. Then that catchall should hopefully show up in Live Logging with a better interpretation of what it might mean.

It doesn’t match any of my devices. I manually created devices using 8038 and 0140 as the DNI and the catchall has stopped appearing but the devices are showing nothing… “no data found for device” for over 2 hours now.

I’ll leave it a bit longer and see if anything appears

I think that 8038 is the cluster ID, which would make it correspond with a MANAGEMENT NETWORK UPDATE NOTIFY.

This is described in this document: https://zigbeealliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/docs-05-3474-21-0csg-zigbee-specification.pdf
Search for 8038 (on page 182/183)