Icons not animating

Devices with custom DH (stock DH with modified icon) are animated fine. However using a stock DH for local control then switching the icon. The icon does not animate. I’m using a switch(bulb) stock to a switch(fan). The fan does not animate like the one with a DH edited to have the fan icon.

Video example of stock DTH with modified Icon and of stock DTH changing icon in the app. The DTH are Zwave Switch that show as a bulb icon.

@nayelyz are you aware of this issue? :point_up:

Do you mean that the device was using another icon before “fan” and when you change it doesn’t work?
What happens if you turn off and then on the device again?

If you use the stock Zwave Switch DTH that is modified to have the oic.d.fan the icon is animated.

If you then switch back to the Stock Zwave DTH that uses the oic.d.switch. Then select the fan icon under the edit function of the device in the SmartThings App. The icon doesn’t animate, this also happens with x.com.st.d.humidifier.

Turning it on and off has no affect on the animation of the icon.

I see…ok, thank you for the information.
@SamsungZell, can help us with this issue using the “change icon” function, please? :smiley:

1 Like

@SamsungZell it’s been over 9day since the last ping. Can you help shed some light on the icons not animating?

Any update with this issue? I’ve just noticed fan icons that used to animate no longer do?

Have animated icons been removed?

They haven’t worked for me in a long time.

Hi, @smokeyb and @Jake_Mohl
Sorry, I was away for some time and missed your replies.
Are you only using the fan icon? I did some tests and I see the icon only changes from colored to gray, so, I already asked the engineering team about that.

Also, it’s important to consider the following when expecting changes in the icon:

• Not all have a colored/animated icon, in this case fan used to have one, so, we need to check if it was an intentional change
  • It’s important to know which capability was set as “state” for the dashboard view because its alternatives control the icon’s state. So, for example, if your device is using “Switch”, the icon will be able to change between active (when on) and inactive (when off). This wouldn’t happen if we use “temperatureMeasurement” only because it doesn’t have any alternatives configured, so, the icon will never change its status.

@nayelyz

Neither work. The top icon is a Zooz switch with a fan icon.

The second 8s is a SmartThings outlet with the icon set to the fan.

Hi, @Jake_Mohl, @smokeyb
The engineering team mentioned that to have an animated icon, we need to specify the “runningConditions” property in the device presentation.
So, I created a sample for your reference:

VID: 6bb9185c-b03c-3495-a51e-993c7107021b 

{
    "type": "profile",
    "icons":[
        {
            "group": "main",
            "runningConditions": [
                {
                    "capability": "fanSpeed",
                    "version": 1,
                    "component": "main",
                    "value": "fanSpeed.value",
                    "operand": "0",
                    "operator": "GREATER_THAN"
                }
            ]
        } 
    ],
    "dashboard": {
        "states": [...],
        "actions": [...],
        "basicPlus": []
    },
    "detailView": [...],
    "automation": {
        "conditions": [...],
        "actions": [...]
    }
}

I put “…” to avoid showing the other configuration because it doesn’t affect “runningConditions”, even if you use a capability different than the one in dashboard.states in the condition section, it will change from animated to fixed if the condition isn’t met.
You can also use “Switch”, as it’s an array, I believe you can put more than one condition that would make the fan spin but I haven’t tested that yet (I’ll confirm soon):

{
    "capability": "switch",
    "version": 1,
    "component": "main",
    "value": "switch.value",
    "operand": "on",
    "operator": "EQUALS"
}

Here’s a short screen recording of how it looks:

Please, let me know if it helps or if you have questions.

1 Like

I will pass that info along to the Zooz Edge driver developer. How ever I’m using a SmartThings stock edge driver for my outlets and it doesn’t work for the fan. So I think that should be something the SmartThings team should fix.

2 Likes

Could you provide the device name of those affected, please? I need to check their VID and create a report for the engineering team. It can be through a DM.
The driver from Zooz is the one they shared externally, right? Because there are some Zooz device fingerprints in the Z-Wave Switch driver

Are you wanting the exact name of the type of device or what I have the device named?

Yes the zooz driver is the one shared externally.

I need the name you assigned to them so I can find them easily among your devices, please :smiley:

Here you go.

Master Bedroom Fan
Elizabeth’s Fan
Humidifier (yes this doesn’t animate)
Fireplace Fan
Garage Fan

1 Like

Thank you, I shared the corresponding info with the engineering team. This modification might take some time depending on the team’s workload, but once I get their feedback, I’ll let you know.