iBlinds vs Tilt Smart Home (Mysmartblinds) comparison

I bought 5 Mysmartblinds (since renamed Tilt) plus solar panels during their Kickstarter days so I’ve had 3 years of experience with them. I just bought and installed 5 iBlinds for other blinds in my house after waiting years for Tilt to implement ST integration (I even bought their hub). I now think that’s a lost cause. Anyways I thought I’d do a quick comparison between the two.

Price: iBlinds regular price is $159, but they are constantly having $99 sales. This price does not include the solar panel which is $20. Tilt retails at $149 and includes a solar panel in that price. However with Tilt you need to buy a $89 hub to integrate the system with Alexa. iBlinds has direct ST integration via Z-Wave so there’s no need to purchase anything else (and no DTHs to mess around with).

Unboxing and accessories included: very similar between the two. iBlinds includes a long micro USB charging cable and power adapter while Tilt doesn’t. It’s a small gesture but a nice touch.

Installation difficulty is very similar for both. One negative for iBlinds is that it requires you to completely do away with the cord for tilting the blinds. Instead there is a button to manually control them. This makes it difficult for short people/tall windows. Also the motor fit very snugly inside the blinds header. This will be different for each brand of blinds, but for me it interferes with the string controlling the blinds retraction function. In my Hunter Douglas blinds this string runs diagonally which doesn’t work great with the straight across channel iBlinds put on the bottom of the motor. I had to change out the motor fitting for my blinds’ shape of rod which was included in the box. iBlinds has all of these installation videos on their YouTube channel, similar to Tilt.

Functionality/Connectivity: iBlinds’ ST integration is a clear winner here. Tilt can be controlled and scheduled via Bluetooth, or if you have the hub via wifi. iBlinds motor is quieter than Tilt. I also appreciated the auto calibration with iBlinds.

Overall both of these brands do their basic function that I use them 99% of the time for very well—close at sunset and open at sunrise. iBlinds are much more future proof with Z-Wave Plus and are much cheaper during their frequent sales.

This got a bit longer than I expected. If you have any questions let me know. I received no compensation from either of these companies nor do I have any financial interest in them.

1 Like

Good comparison! I’ve been pretty happy with my V2 iBlinds. Tilt also has temperature sensors I believe, and iBlinds does not.

A temperature sensor with values you can’t measure. It’s just a slider with no reference to temperature at all. All mine are set to the midway point and I think only one of mine has closed due to temp once in a year.

haha, nice!

I totally forgot about that since the blinds I have them installed on do not face direct sunlight. But yes that would be another advantage for Tilt.

Thanks for the great review @rsg123! I recently bought my first two iBlinds kits; I already have six blinds automated with Tilt throughout my home but I wanted something that better integrates with my SmartThings hub. I agree with all your points. I do think Tilt has a much easier and better thought out installation process but its custom hub and software really bring it down.

I have a quick question that I’m hoping you or someone else on here can answer. Is there a way to make the iBlinds close down instead of up? I tried flipping the Reverse setting in SmartThings but that didn’t seem to have any effect. In the MySmartBlinds app that’s pretty easy to configure.

Just curious to know if the IBlinds can be controlled remotely during a power outage? I have solar charged mySmartBlinds and we had a 48 hour power outage. One thing to be said about the blinds was that I could still use my phone to control the blinds via bluetooth which was nice because we have a window that is out of reach to close manually. Also, if you schedule the blinds with their app, that was working fine during the power outage because the schedule is stored on the motor unit.

With that being said, ST integration is a wonderful thing. I actually was running a custom DTH and SmartApp that integrated mySmartBlinds quite nicely. It was wonderful! It actually gave me better control than their Alexa Skill or App because they limit how many blinds can be controlled at once, but the integration worked around that. And of course all the other reasons you’d want ST integration. However, the integration stopped working because mySmartBlinds (Tilt) appears to have blocked their cloud API from handling calls originating from the ST AWS servers! If anyone is savvy enough to either modify the code to send the requests locally from the ST hub, or modify the solution to work with the new ST App, let me know and I’ll share the code.

I prefer my blinds to close facing up. This is done by changing the shade level to 100%. Closing them down is 0%. I have ST automations set to change the blinds to 50% at sunrise and 100% at sunset.

That’s a good question. As far as I know, the only way you could control the blinds without power in an out of reach place is if you had a battery backup for your ST hub, modem and wifi router. That scenario would definitely go into the pro column for MSB/Tilt as the built-in scheduling would continue to operate in a power outage and you could also control them via BT.