I want a rules engine, not apps

It’s a sign that modern programmers aren’t programmers. Smartthings is anything but smart. Wanting to sell you 3rd party programs to do what should be built in makes me long for the days of x-10.

as I recall X10 was completely useless without spending a fortune on SW, actually scrub that… X10 was useless full stop! it was unbelievably unreliable! hell the Broadlink stuff is better :slight_smile: we DO however need a real Rules engine accessible to everyone (not just Fruity types) it “should” come from Samsung (but never will) I have no problems paying a third party developer, Samsung is a hardware manufacturer based in the far east, and their idea of an easy interface is different from the West’s, because they think in a slightly different way (look at their language, then consider writing an app for their market) they do very well, but nobody covers all the bases! two years with Homeseer taught me there is any number of ways to do things wrong! right now IoT is mainly a hobby… it seems like a lot of fun, but for all its fun, it really adds nothing to your life! I have automated lights, sockets, etc, and still, having spent a fortune, I still haven’t seen a single “real” use for it (unless you have disabilities)
please please has “anyone” got a “real” usercase (outside what I have outlined) telling Alexa to turn the lights on is great and all, but I live in a small house, it isn’t a real hardship making the two step jaunt to a lightswitch! as in the UK houses and flats are getting smaller every day, home automation is looking more and more like a smartwatch… and the food processor, and, the exercise bike!
sorry, Rambling!! hi everyone :wink:
a rules engine may at least make this stuff usable!
it takes half an hour to get Alexa to turn the lights off before I go to bed, when everything was dumb, it only took a few seconds LOL
"sorry I didn’t quite understand" indeed!
ramble ramble LOL!
anyone got a real use?
(coffeee machines don’t count, my onecup takes 25 seconds to make a coffee)
sorry guys n gals!

OK, I’ll bite … how’s this for a real use: I’ve purchased 5 SmartThings Leak Sensors (installed underneath sinks, water heater and washing machine) and a Homeseer HS-WV100+ Z-Wave + Water Valve Controller (Installed in line with the main water line). I’ve set it up so that if a leak is detected in the house, the Water Valve will shut off water to the house and alert me via text message. Hopefully, this will never need to be used, but it has the potential to save me many dollars in water damage.

2 Likes

Hi Dancran!
thanks for that! an actually useful one :wink:
nice to see!
I am still having “loads” of fun, I still haven’t come up with a genuine use yet :wink:
but hey! good job!

2 Likes

My housemate, who uses ablebodied, find the motion sensor controlled light in the laundry room a great convenience, as he almost always has his hands full going in both directions. He particularly likes it for when he’s coming out of the laundry room carrying a basket of clothes and he doesn’t have to go back to turn the light off again.

So that one’s not something he couldn’t do before, but it’s way easier with the automation in place. :sunglasses:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with something that “just” makes tasks a little easier. That’s why we have automated garage doors and remote controls for televisions and automatic washing machines to begin with. Sure, you could give all of those up too, and some people do, but most people prefer to use their time for other things.

Being able to use a pathway of lights on your way to bed and then turn them all off with one button press after you’re in bed is just a convenience – – but it’s one that many people can appreciate, whether you’re carrying a baby or on the elderly side yourself and like the extra light while you’re walking or are just tired of coming downstairs in the morning to find the kitchen lights left on again. :rage::bulb:

As you say, very few people actually need home automation – – otherwise more homes would come with it. But that doesn’t mean the convenience cases aren’t valuable. It just depends on your own needs and preferences. Choice is good. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi!! Thanks for that :wink:
I know I should be more grateful :wink:
I think I have watched too much eureka lol
There is so little “real” integration going on right now, it’s a little more inconvenient than not having it sometimes (yes harmony I am looking at you)
Very little just needs mains feeding to it to make it useful, and at the moment only high end stuff has two way coms to return useful state info…
I know, I know, and it’s a real boon to people with disabilities!
It’s the frustration of being so close, and yet so far!
I hope Chromecast evolves into a real challenge to the almost monopoly of Sonos (there is NO way I could afford or justify Sonos speakers) I really should have spent more time learning to code as a kid!! My tv appears to have rs232 so a global cache probably would have given me full control of that
I managed to import one of the dud Google home units, so my Chromecast plans are on hold…
The one REAL highlight of all this, is the community, and the frankly amazing work being done by the members!!
I hope Samsung realise the value these devs are bringing to their platform, and find ways to reward them! Because ST out of the box is pretty useless
The echo adds a lot for us blind folk too! I really will have to try out the full integration, when I get over the fear for the amount of work (and things I could do wrong)
It is only the work of these devs that is dragging ST kicking and screaming from over hyped sci fi to a genuinely useful reality, peace by peace!
I didn’t want anyone to think I don’t appreciate the huge contributions people are making!
I was really, above all else, trying to give myself ideas :slight_smile:
Thanks for putting up with my ramblings gals n guys!
Love and peace
Gazzzman

1 Like

Cool. I’ll post in this thread when its available.

Thanks.