I hate all of you

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Sounds like a really frustrating experience. :disappointed_relieved: I had one of those a few years ago when I was locked out in the yard, in the dark, in the rain, with no way to get into the house (I’m quadraparetic, so I can’t use a regular key.) :umbrella: :scream:

After that, I moved all of my critical use cases to a different platform. These days I just use SmartThings for convenience notifications, which it still does way better than anything else in its price range.

This forum is set up for peer to peer support so customers can help other customers. It’s not officially read by staff, Although sometimes a few drop by on their own time.

If you’d like to reach someone who actually works for SmartThings or Samsung, try their official Facebook page or Twitter feed. Or the official support channels:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us

1 Like

You know you have been complaining about smartthings for a while now, maybe you should take your hate to another platform and stop complaining here.

What platform do you recommend, I am looking for something that can handle some complex code like turning on a light at 10pm. I understand that this is extremely difficult for most systems to handle, looking for advice.

I’m sorry, I can’t tell if that’s intended as sarcasm or not. There are lots of systems out there, they all have pluses and minuses. In general the ones which are simpler logic with a more limited set of devices have higher reliability. So turning a light on at 10 PM is easy, but is likely to be most reliable with a system that doesn’t do a whole lot more than timing.

On the other hand, a system which can turn a light on at 10 PM if either of two people is home but not if the light was previously manually set to a different dim level and only if The television is off but the people have not yet gone to bed is obviously much more powerful in terms of the logic complexity it can support, but also likely to be less reliable. At least if the system is in the same price range as smartthings.

In general you are looking at three factors: reliability, support of complexity, and cost. Or as the old joke used to go, “you can have it fast, you can have it good, you can have it cheap. Limit two to a customer.”. :wink:

You can make a system with high support of complexity much more reliable, but it also means it will probably cost a lot more.

It also depends on whether you want to use the same devices that you were using with SmartThings or not. In that case, we need to know the brand and model.

Just as an example, the Lutron Caseta platform is exceptional for light switches. You can use it on its own or with Any of a number of other systems, including apple’s HomeKit, echo, IFTTT, google Home, etc. but if you don’t already have them, you probably invested in other protocols and wouldn’t want to start over.

I did a long piece a while ago on the questions I would ask someone if they were just getting started, but it may be too long for most people. It works better in an interview setting, I think. But it might be worth a glance.

Top Level Priorities Checklist: what to consider before you start selecting smart home devices (2019)

But really it just comes down to what’s most important to you. If you just want reliable lights on a timer, there are lots of solutions for that, again depending on how much of your current investment you want to reuse.

1 Like

Sorry to hear you have alot of problems. I think you should never connect and make everything smart if its no way to recover if something goes wrong.

It could be an internet/power outage, or a failure in the hub, door lock, or what ever product you have. You can get robbed of your phone or loose it some how. So on and so on…

I believe it should be a convenient product that do some stuff to make it easier or to have a cool impact. I have read alot about many different hubs, most of them have issues and doesn’t work at times. I did buy the Smartthings hub, just a couple of months ago, but have fallowed it for years. I bought it because its a big name that has it, good or bad!? I think they will support it for a very long time. Now they have also put all of there other products and old apps into Smartthings. The cost for the hub is just crazy sheep for what you get.

I haven’t have any issues with it yet, it may come as any other product out there. But for now it has been solid. I use products that works with smartthings native (I use some device handler, to get more features).

If you want another system/hub there is many of them out there.

Hubitat, Fibaro, Vera, Wink, Homekit, Home Assistant, Homeseer, Homey, Control 4, Google Home, Amazon Alexa and so on!

I wish you the best in setting up your smart home in the future.

Best regards
T

1 Like

I think you just divided by zero.

8 Likes

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.