[OBSOLETE] Hue motion sensor (use ST hub, but no hue bridge)

Bluetooth? Is it not only zigbee?

1 Like

You need a hub no matter what. It will not connect without the Hue or Smartthings hub.

1 Like

The hue motion sensor is a Zigbee device. It has nothing to do with your phone or Bluetooth.

Hue ā€œaccessories,ā€ including the Hue dimmer switch battery, the Hue tap, the hue button, and the hue motion sensor, are not exposed to smartthings when they are connected to a hue bridge. They will work fine with the hue bridge and you can create automations for them either through the Hue app or through Apple HomeKit if you happen to be using those, but smartthings just wonā€™t see them at all. So some people will use them as a parallel means of control.

It is technically possible to connect some of these, but not all, directly to a smartthings hub. That includes the hue motion sensor. if you do it that way, it will be visible to smartthings but it will no longer show up in the Hue app or HomeKit.

Using these devices without a Hue bridge requires custom code and itā€™s one of those things that works for some people and not for others. (You will have to have a smartthings hub.) In particular, some people find that it just keeps disconnecting every couple of days and then they have to re-join it again. This may have to do with which of any repeaters it goes through or it may just be some flakiness.

In order to do this, just follow the instructions in the first post of this thread.

That would be the method for one of the new hue bulbs which does not require the hue bridge if you are only going to use Bluetooth. However, that method is not available for the motion sensor, which is what this thread is about.

The motion sensor requires a zigbee hub. Usually that is the hue bridge, some people have some success with using a smartthings hub instead. But it has nothing to do with the phone.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, i was trying to use smartthings because I would like to then use IFTT and create an automation like ā€œif sensor feels motion than google send me a messageā€ and doing this automaton is impossible with hue bridge. I will abandon the idea, thanks anyway

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m using this device handler already for some time and working fine. However with the new Smartthings app, I donā€™t seem to be able to read/use the Illuminance Measurement capability.

I can see the value when consulting the Smartthings web looking at the device, however in the Smartthings app this capability doensā€™t show and neither can use it in routines.

Anybody had the same problem and found suitable workarround?

I had the same challenge, deleted the device and reinstalled it

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m looking for :slight_smile:

Unfortunately it keeps showing all measures except the Illuminance one at my end :frowning: It tried removing via Smartthings App and from IDE mutliple times, no changes.

Do you use Hue bridge in between?

Solution found:

I have found a correction on the device handler which corrects the Illuminance measurement with the new SmartThings app:

After updating the device handler code, removing and adding again the device, the illuminance measure becomes available both visual on the device info and with automations.

2 Likes

I use the same DH edit only in the part that contains the ā€œmodel nameā€ (SML001 to SML002) and currently it seems to work fine.
What is the use of changing the part that contains the ā€œvidā€?
Thanks

If I recall, my post was just simplifying details in other posts. I am not even close to informed. Your question made me curious, though.

In short, it outlines the capabilities (i.e. illuminance). I found the following link:

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I just loaded it we will see how it goes :slight_smile:

Iā€™m trying to grasp the Lux functionality or the Hue Outdoor sensor. I was using a Weather Underground sensor but lumens started dropping out and became unreliable. Iā€™ll take as much information you have regarding the Hue Sensor Lux and how to adjust it.
Yes, I want values on that level to trigger events.
Thanks
REH

Thank you for the code writer(s) for the efforts and time. In general, it is these folks that give ST the flexibility to accommodate us geeks and pushing the limits. And as such, the core reason Iā€™ve stuck with ST; due to itā€™s open platform and integrations.

Who and when was the last time this is fully working?
This is not working for me after reviewing this and other posts.
I have been able to add the device to my ST hub three times but called the device ā€œThingā€ and when clicking on the device tile to open it to see the details I get the ā€˜no connectionā€™ error. Iā€™ve never been able to get past that.

Now, nothing is working and the ST hub doesnā€™t see the device. This may be the result of a firmware update on the Outdoor Motion Sensor.

The Outdoor Motion Sensor connects to the Hue hub without issue every time and first time (as expected).

I am an early and advanced ST user since the beginning and used to have many Device Handlers and SmartApps and also a Github user.

I have my Device Handlers connected to Github and using the bogdanalexe90/hueMotionSensor (master) repository. I made the two model and vid edits as above in this thread; saved; and published (for me).

Phone Details:
Android ver 10
Kernel version 4.14.117-19529858
Samsung Galaxy S10+

SmartThings Android App details:

Philips Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor details:
Model 9290019758
SML002
firmware: 6.1.0.25261
just updated to 6.1.1.27575

ST Hub firmware:

ST Hub Hardware Version:
hub v2, US customer Rev E

It has now been 4 months since I set up a couple of these, so my memory is a bit rusty. Maybe try this:

Thank you.
I already did that, it was the second thing I did after I published it. I noted it above in my post.

I specifically meant the last part. Select a different device type, save, and then go back to the custom device type.

If this was mentioned in your post, I apologize. My eyes glaze a bit when there are a bunch of details ā€¦ probably an undiagnosed learning disability of some sort.

Is this after the device is registered?

Iā€™ve been trying to make sense out of that and I think itā€™s confusing to me because I canā€™t even get the device registered to show up in SmartThings.

From your earlier post, it seems like you had it showing up as a Thing. Are you able to change the Device Type in the IDE?