[OBSOLETE] Hue motion sensor (use ST hub, but no hue bridge)

Sorry, some how the 4 sensors I was testing with your DTH switched back to the original. Not sure how that is possible, but am good now.

@bogdanalexe90 need your help, I am having some zigbee issues with my hue, it is not your DTH, but to know if you can check somethign for me? Can you look at your hub event logs and tell me if you see your hue motion doing a zbjoin every 5 to 15 min?

i don’t own smartthings anymore. But yes it was the case of such event popping out every now and then.

Can someone explain to me how to configure the no motion timeout setting for this? It seems to be turning off quite quickly after motion is detected. In the Philips hue app it was possible to specify how long it should take to turn off after no motion is detected…

so ive tried to figure this out for about five days now. I have the motion sensor in my smartthings, but i cant configure it I get “can not connect to device” when I click on it. can someone help me? im sure its something small ive forgotten to do.

Are you using the smart thanks classic app or the new mobile app? The new one doesn’t work very well with any kind of custom code.

Most people who are using custom code our continuing to use the classic app for now.

I am using the new one… I guess I am going to download the classic one and check out. thank you. going to check it and see then report back

do I need to delete things from my new app to use the classic one? or anyother tips before I dive head first into it

No, they are two different ways of accessing the same account. So if you look in the IDE (the web access to your SmartThings account) everything is the same no matter which app you are using.

But the rules engines are quite different and you set up your automations through the mobile app, so different devices are recognized at the app level by the two different apps, which can definitely be frustrating.

There are some people who are using both, especially if they have a Samsung appliance or Samsung smart television, since those don’t work well with the classic app.

See the following:

thank you. i think it may be an issue with the code im using because im getting “tiles missing” and when I click on the edit button i get “error fetching device. please try again”

THIS IS THE CODE I AM USING IN DEVICE HANDLER

/**

• hueMotionSensor
  • Copyright 2018 bogdanalexe90
  • Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”); you may not use this file except
  • in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
  •  http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

• Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
  • on an “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
  • for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.

*/
metadata {
definition (name: “hueMotionSensor”, namespace: “bogdanalexe90”, author: “bogdanalexe90”) {
}

simulator {
	// TODO: define status and reply messages here
}

tiles {
	// TODO: define your main and details tiles here
}

}

// parse events into attributes
def parse(String description) {
log.debug “Parsing ‘${description}’”

}

Hi

I am curious on how fast this thing works. Just spend days in webCoRE setting up my lights and other devices, but the Hue Motion sensors and corresponding lights turn on very slow and one at a time (popcorn effect) and since I have 9 lights (GU10) in my hallway that is not gonna work.

WAF was very low on that setup , so had to return to using Hue bridge which works flawless with the limitations it comes with.

I would really like to get everything working through ST and webcore, but the above experience is a deal breaker, so before returning to St I would like to hear about your experience.

Thanks in advance

@Daniel_Panduro this is the exact reason why I’ve left ST after 2 years and gone for Hubitat. Reaction speed is not, and never will be, great on ST because it’s not doing local processing. Hubitat is only local processing and the speed is instant and all lights in a rule come on at the same time. As an example - with ST I would go up my stairs and only when half way to three quarters of the way up would the hallway lights come on. With Hubitat, as soon as my foot is on the first step both lights come on together. Sensor positions haven’t been changed so same physical setup between ST and Hubitat

1 Like

What kind of lights are you using?

@Townsmcp Just read about Hubitat yesterday but unfortunately this is not available in Denmark :-/
I am, though, especially interested in running Hubitat with webcore on RPI, but this will need to wait until the availabillity changes.

@TonyFleisher All Hue GU10 bulbs

I do think it is available in Denmark. I seem to remember someone asking that same question on the Facebook page - all stock is held in the US and shipped globally.
Just a word of caution with WebCoRE though - apparently it impacts performance of Hubitat a lot. I haven’t installed WebCoRE myself as I’ve been able to convert all pistons to Rule Machine

I see I can get it on Amazon at least (though I am worried about taxes). The issue is, as far as I know, zigbee and z-wave protocols in US and EU are different but I will have to look into that a bit further.

If the rule engine on Hubitat is sufficient I will stay away from webcore at least where I need full speed as I do with the issue posted here.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Are you looking at Amazon US? The European version of Hubitat comes with EU compliant transmitters for both Zigbee and ZWave but is only purchasable from their website. I’m in the UK and it cost me an extra £30 for customs taxes on top of their website cost

Yes I was. Think I need to give it another look and do some research to see what they offer in the rules engine

1 Like