Hue integration stopped working (27 June 2019)

Nope. And ST claim it’s working as designed and the messages are an indication the Hue signals are weak which is frankly just not true given this happens with bulbs very close the bridge. Funny how the bulbs continue to work just fine from both the Hue app and ST.

1 Like

It is. The SmartThings hub polls the Hue bridge for status of all lights (https://developers.meethue.com/develop/hue-api/lights-api/) every 2 seconds. If the reachable field for a given Hue device is false then we simply mark the device offline, if it is true then we mark the device online. What we’ve learned is that the reachable field is not always reliable and the reachable state of bulbs can fluctuate between true and false quickly and frequently, even if the Hue device is in close proximity to the Hue bridge.

We are working on an update to debounce these rapid state changes to provide a more stable device health experience for Hue.

4 Likes

Good news. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

Smart things was working for me flawlessly to control my Hue bulbs until two days ago. All of them show offline like many of the people here have mentioned. However, I don’t see the hue bridge anywhere in my devices. I selected the option to setup the lights without the Smart Things bridge (which isn’t necessary). It was working great. What happened and is there anyway to fix it?

Having the same issues fora few weeks now. I absolutely refuse to delete all the lights and go through setting up routines again. This is absurd. One more reason smartthings is utter trash. THe only thing that makes smartthings usable is webcore. Smartthings can die for all I care.

I have since enabled HTTPS on my HA-Bridge. How can I change the port in Smartthings to 443 instead of 80 which it currently is at? I am unable to use 80 as I have other services using that port.

Your bridge is now on 443 and back online.

1 Like

Thank you Barry! Confirmed. I’m guessing that changing that parameter is not something the users have access to?
For anyone else having port problems; I created a cert on my Pi ruining Ha-Bridge, enabled HTTPS, and changed the port the HA-Bridge is using to 443. Those were the basic steps to get it up on HTTPS.

@Andy_Armijo: It appears the DTH for your Hue bridge was changed from the LAN Hue Bridge DTH to a self published (perhaps modified) version of the Hue Bridge DTH. Hue Bridge is a very old deprecated DTH that is cloud executing, which is not compatible with your locally executing Hue bulbs which are child devices of the Hue bridge.

If you log into the IDE and change you Hue bridge to use the locally executing LAN Hue Bridge DTH, your Hue devices should start working again. I can also do this for you, if you’d like.

Barry

1 Like

No problem. Yes the port is part of device data with is not modifiable for users, however it should have automatically updated if the HA-bridge responds to SSDP or mDNS requests and returns a GET config response with an API version of 1.24 or greater.

I’m digging into logs now to see why it didn’t auto update. The Hub may have just been backed up with other queued requests for the Hue bridge in which case it would have eventually auto updated.

1 Like

Incorrect. Does not work.

The Hue bridge tied to your account is still using a self published Hue Bridge DTH that is cloud executing. With this DTH you will not be able to actuate and get status updates of the attached Hue bulbs, which are locally executing. If you are having trouble updating to the LAN Hue Bridge DTH let me know and I will happily get everything working for you.

Barry

I definitely changed it to the smartthings device type. So I’m unsure why you think different.

Please verify it is set to LAN Hue Bridge, not Hue Bridge.

Yeah I just saw there was a difference. However, that is not a self published device type. That is something smartthings published. Why are there two.

There are two because of the new “hub optional” architecture.

If you have a smartthings hub, then there is an option to communicate locally with the hue bridge via LAN.

But if you don’t have a smartthings hub, maybe you just have a Samsung television and a hue bridge, you can communicate cloud to cloud and still set up automations that include both your television and your Hue items.

They don’t explain this at all in the app and a lot of people have been tripped up by it, but that’s why there are two. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah I saw that on the new app. Well, I found that option one time and never again when I was trying to get my bulbs to work again. Still unexplained is why my hue setup, which had been solid and unchanged, broke. The community device types and smart app I was using were fine, and then one day the smart app disappeared while the devices remained and eventually stopped working.

No matter what the reason for a different type of bridge, anyone experiencing the inevitable failure issues of smartthings will be interested to know that @BarryA’s smug solution does nothing, except for cost me the time of logging out of the IDE in my own account, then logging out of samsung (since logging into the ide logs me into samsung EVERYWHERE for some annoying reason and does not log me out of those other places when I log out of the IDE) , logging back into the account holder account (since, from the very beginning of my use of smartthings I have been the only person in my household to make any changes to smartthings, and now all of a sudden I am unable to do so, and when I try, I am told that I cannot make changes to devices added by other users or that I must be the account holder), changing the device type, refreshrefreshresh, adddevice, adddevice, adddevice, trydevice, scream, wish smartthings was a person I could punch in the mouth.

I spent three grand on Samsung televisions because the false advertising Samsung likes to take part in, claiming a person could use smartthings from the TV. Nope, only account holders. This major drawback is not mentioned anywhere in the advertising samsung puts out when touting this functionality. This is a crime. This is A CRIME SAMSUNG IS GUILTY OF. Even for account holders, HUE, the one company that flawlessly integrates with every other smart home company, can’t be integrated with smartthings. And Samsung doesn’t think they owe me the money for these TV’s, which I bought as a result of the illegal false advertising Samsung/Smartthings took part in.

You’re wrong Samsung. You owe me money. And you’re going to give it to me. You can ban my account from posting to your deadass forum, but I will spread the word of what shitty products you sell, what shitty service you offer, what shitty illegal tactics you employ to sell your shitty products and shitty service, and what shitty excuses you come up with to avoid paying me what you owe me. I am sending a copy of this link along to the Federal Trade Commission, with whom I have opened a complaint to report Samsung for a number of crimes. I’m sure the FTC would be happy to see your response. No? No? No comments?

Hello all! I’m having the same issue you’re talking about here… In the Smartthings app (new and classic) I’m not able to control Philips hue devices, sometimes they appear offline and others online, it’s random. From the Hue app everything is working fine, also from Google Home app I can control Philips hue devices without problems.
After reading a lot of pages of this thread I can’t find a specific solution, what should I do to get Philips hue devices back online and controlable from smartthings app?
Thank you!