Hue integration stopped working (27 June 2019)

Also came here because my Sonoff Tasmota hue emulation stopped working a month or two back.
I understand that ST probably only wants to officially support OEM Hue stuff, but share in the extreme disappointment that there is no way to pause or revert problematic firmware updates.
I would like to further understand why the latest ST firmware is having trouble detecting hue emulation of bridge v1.

I have also setup some example hue emulation (admittedly, there is no official implementation example :wink: using something I found here https://github.com/flok99/virtual-hue
I can reproduce the issue where ST hub will go through discovery, but never detect the hub.

I see this on ST IDE live log repeatedly:

b2b8daea-5f3d-4da3-b89a-f6a1e30b9792  7:39:52 AM: debug No devices to add, verified devices: [:]
b2b8daea-5f3d-4da3-b89a-f6a1e30b9792  7:39:52 AM: debug detecting status for fd5e19e2-4b22-46a9-a2e7-c6a0b725911c : true
b2b8daea-5f3d-4da3-b89a-f6a1e30b9792  7:39:52 AM: trace in ssdpDiscover
b2b8daea-5f3d-4da3-b89a-f6a1e30b9792  7:39:52 AM: debug scheduled run, numberOfRuns: 11
b2b8daea-5f3d-4da3-b89a-f6a1e30b9792  7:39:52 AM: trace in discovery

So question is - what is ST hub looking for in a V1 bridge (which is currently lacking in several widely-used emulation implementations) ?

@smitty124 afaik, the tls support in esp8266 is mostly around client tls, i.e. connecting to tls server (mqtt, http). I doubt tasmota has space (esp. memory) to do tls server (especially with modern protocols or cipher suites that one might expect a calling application, like ST hub to use.)

However, question comes down to ST folks:
Can anyone summarize the changes to ST Hub firmware over past few months which led to a system which worked just fine with many Hue emulation schemes, to one which now does not work at all?
Let me be clear that I donā€™t expect ST to fix this issue, per se, but I would really hope they can give the community enough information about what was changed such that we can resolve the issue ourselves.

A new local Hue implementation was added in order to support new features of the hue bridge like TLS support and to make use of additional status from the bridge to support things like device health locally (for greater reliability and lower cloud cost).

With the hotfix, we do fallback to supporting unencrypted port communication with bridges on port 80 if they report any older firmware version. This solved the issues reported with habridge but not with the Sonoff Tasmota firmware (apparently).

The emulation here is presumably incomplete or incorrect. While we do not intentionally break emulations like habridge/tasmota our primary targets for testing for hue integrations is the hue bridges themselves and not emulations of varying correctness.

I do have a few Sonoff devices laying around that I havenā€™t gotten around to flashing so I may get around to putting Tasmota on one of those and wiresharking the traffic. If anyone out there has already done that, feel free to DM me the pcap. Thatā€™s probably easier than trying to reverse the behavior from the emulation code (https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/blob/development/sonoff/xdrv_20_hue.ino).

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Great Idea on grabbing capture, I can do that sometime later this week and provide.

2 Likes

Solved,thans for help

ok grabbed a pcap, but for the life of me, I canā€™t see how to DM/PM on this board!
Any clues?

Any updates on the pcap analysis? I am affected like many people with Tasmota HUE emulation. In my frustration I removed the failed device(s) hoping that them being offline had nothing to do with ST :frowning_face: And now of course I cannot add them back.

Hi Barry,

I am having the same issue. I just signed up so I donā€™t think I can DM yet. Would you be able to help me switch from 443 to 80?

Chris

1 Like

I have three multi channel Sonoff switches ( 1* 4ch, 1 * 4 ch Pro and 1* R2 Dual).

I have enabled the hue emulation on all the devices and everything works OK via the web interface.

The R2 Dual works in SmartThings and ActionTiles. I have three entries in SmartThings Devices. A Parent device that uses the MAC address and LAN hue Bridge settings.
I have two more entries for the R2 which use the MAC address/1 and /2 and both are set to LAN Hue extended colour.

I cannot either of the 4 channel devices working. Any help would be appreciated.

I have also installed the 4 Channel device driver and and can see it on the menu but it refuses to create a new device.

Can supply more data if required.

Odd. I tried enabling hue emulation on one of my tasmota switches but my hub is still not detecting it. Were those devices installed with the hue bridging in the IDE prior to June 27th?

For the issues with the 4ch, that is more of a tasmota specific issue and may be better addressed in another thread. However, if you DM me the link to the DTH you are using for the 4chā€™s, I may be able to help as there is a dth that should create a seperate child device for each channel (without needing hue emulation).

I donā€™t need to have the Hue emulation just want to directly control the 4 channels of the Sonoff switch through ST

4 channel driver used was https://github.com/BrettSheleski/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/devicetypes/brettsheleski/sonoff-tasmota-4ch.src/sonoff-tasmota-4ch.groovy

Koolin, looks like you may be using custom device handlers for your sonoff-tasmota, which would be unrelated to ā€œHue integrationā€. Please open a new topic for your issues.

@Jens_Jensen, were you able to provide @posborne with the capture?
@posborne, is there anything else we can do to help you?

I think I have fixed the problem now by using A combination of Tasmota and Tasmota power device handlers create parent and child instances of Sonoff dual and quad switches.

I donā€™t need Hue so everything is fine.

I have searched for a solution to this since June and documentation for setting dual and quad sonoff switches could be improved.

Colin
07990 790200

Yes, I submitted capture. Waiting to hear back.

Hi - I see my firmware on v2 (2015) hub was updated to 26.12 but my HA Bridge connection is still not working. Could you please advise what to do? This has been down for more than a month.

anyone else having HUE Ha-Bridge problems again? Mine is showing the same symptoms I had last month. ST shows it off-line but it is up and can be controlled directly.
My HA-bridge is on 8080 and was working before. I think this is the problem, ST is trying to use 80 now.

Hi Paul - You are correct in that at this time we only support port 443 for HTTPS enabled Hue bridges and port 80 for regular HTTP. WIth the latest update, your hub most likely sent out a SSDP/mDNS discovery request to your HA bridge and updated the port to 80 as it detected it did not support HTTPS. Configuring your HA bridge to use port 80 should get it back online.

1 Like

Having same issue againā€¦ ha bridge running on port 8080, but smartthings switched to 80 for some reason. how do I switch it back to 8080, where it use to be?
in the mean time, I have switched my ha bridge to run on port 80 and things are working for the momentā€¦

Joined this group to check if there has been any update on this. I have 32 hue bulbs and I believe everyone one of them shows devicewatch-devicestatus go online/offline repeatedly. Iā€™m pretty heavily invested in smart home devices and find this issue to be extremely annoying. Most of my other products seem to work with very little problems with the occasional adt water sensor or Iris motion sensor going offline. What is the status on a permanent fix and how to I get my port to 80 if that is the temporary fix.