Hue Dimmer Switch Connected to ST

yep I agree - I already had additional ones on the way until this one here disconnected so I cancelled the order … I assume adding a HUE bridge into this doesnt solve the issue either as I assume it will send information to the bridge only and the bridge wont forward anything to the ST ?

Not yet. These will stay connected to the Hue Bridge and give you all sorts of control of any Hue devices, but it doesn’t pass through to ST. Someone is working on expanding the Hue integration to pull that info over from the Hue Bridge though.

well I just intended to use their switch due to form factor I use the Osram bulbs around the house so replacing them with HUE wouldnt be the most clever approach - if the HUE hub however could proxy requests and forward them to ST this would be a doable approach for the comfort of those switches to integrate the hub …

1 Like

Osram is coming out with their own dimming switch (at least in US), so hopefully there is better luck getting it integrated with ST.
http://www.amazon.com/LIGHTIFY-Dimming-Products-Immediate-control/dp/B0196M620Y

If you can find the Lutron Connected Bulb remote over there, it might work for your use case. It sends commands directly to assigned bulbs and can be made to work with the Osram ones with help from a SmartApp I wrote (it’s a couple posts down from this one, but this one shows the Lutron in place of a switch on a wall).

thanks for that - but just saw this http://iconnecthue.com/?page_id=160 - seems like the HUE hub can work/works with the Lighify bulbs - I might just get a hub a try it out …

edit: I’ll give it a go tomorrow, just ordered one for testing thanks amazon for eval orders :smile:

well though you can link the HUE bridge and connect 3rd party lights and control them - the HUE Dimmer Switch stays only connected to the HUE bridge and is not visible to the Smartthings hub …

the bulb state takes 5 minutes to get pushed back to ST - so even if the bulb is on already the HUE doesnt notify ST about the change when its being switched on by a switch …

every time I have used the dimmer switch shortly afterwards I could see the below in the logs - so you might be right that it looks for some confirmation if the bridge is present but its actually the MAC of the bulb and not the switch that creates this event - I cannot see any events from the switch at all

when I disconnect the switch from the ST hub with the HUE bridge still up - it seems to attempt to connect to the HUE bridge all the time as I see the below in the logs - the ST doesnt even find it at all … I dont see any events if I put the HUE bridge in discovery mode and allow the switch to connect to it …

funny enough when I tried the switch this morning it was working fine and didnt seem to have disconnected - thats like 8-12 hours after it had disconnected … another thing I have seen was persistency seems to win or actually wake up the switch - though it might show red for a few clicks, keep clicking and eventually it will work again …

not sure what to do here really, neither do I know how the Osram Switch might act with this setup - it might well require the Osram hub which I have to hand anyway but if so and the Switch doesnt work with ST it might just be the same behaviour …

maybe this complete thing is a bit immature or vendors not following standards here and I might need to go with the micro dimmer switches instead requiring much more effort to get that sorted and at a higher expense …

anything you want me to test - let me know but so far - not getting the results I was hoping for …

Well today the switch is completely disconnected - Pressing buttons doesn’t reconnect it either …

I tried to find information on the Osram switch but though it’s sold on Amazon US I can’t find it on the Osram pages anywhere …

edit: also got an update today on HUE but didnt change any state I was testing, direct ST->Dimmer nor Dimmer(HUE)->ST … all the same …

edit2: finally found a PDF for that switch, seems like this will be added to the Lightify Gateway - so probably the same situation as with the HUE switch ?!?!
http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/Documents/LTFY012.06c0d6e6-17c7-4dcb-bd2c-1fca7feecfb4.pdf

before sending everything back I thought to myself - what if the Philips Dimmer Switch works with the Osram gateway - would I have any luck with this? so I took out a spare bulb that I had laying around, connected it to the Osram gateway and was able to bind the switch to it - it comes up as the switch you have been referencing - not sure if it will disconnect as it does with the ST but I will post my findings - unfortunately though I am unable to find any details on how to “remote” the Osram gateway from another system … this could be the main issue but if the Switch works fine with the Osram gateway at least I know it must be the ST hub …

ok - so no disconnects from the switch on the Osram gateway - so I assume its the device handler that is causing the issue or the ST itself …

edit: even 12hrs later no disconnects - so I assume its the device handler that is not working properly

1 Like

just tried using one of these hue dimmers and i got it set up and working, but a few hours later it stopped. ah well, i guess i’ll have to return it.

Why return it because it doesn’t work with this app or it doesn’t turn on/off lights ? What exactly are you trying to do ?

it works fine, the issue is that the remote disconnects from smart things and when you press a button you get a red light, than you have to remove it from smartthings and reset the remote and re-add it to get it to work again.

Okay I understand , I use the hue dimmer switch however all mine are not connected to ST only the hue bulbs are, now the dimmer switches work fine . All my lights are also control by motion sensors but only when it starts getting dark outside. So if someone during the day time needs a light they have to use the hue dimmer switch once the bottom is pressed it take 5 minutes to register that the lights are on in the ST app. I think this is because of the polling delay, however if you use the switch it will still show up in the ST app . So I guess I’m wondering why everyone is using this app for the switch? I used this app before and things are better off without it.

well the purpose of directly attaching the switch to ST is obvious - you would be able to see an immediate action and dont need a HUE bridge - but as you say if 5 minutes is sufficient for you, your approach works but requires the HUE bridge - I tried multiple things and always got to the point where my rules and switch did interfere - as in my automation rules applied a rule as the switch feedback hasnt reached ST - simple example, turn off on motion stop (delay) - someone turns on the light via a switch, ST turns the lights off - surely this could be arranged with longer delays but then you dont save as much power as you could … another scenario - I do have a rule that applies a movie profile, eg turns down specific bulps and switches others off completely - if you want to override this by a manual switch you would need the option to doing so as otherwise, you turn the bulb back up - it takes 5 minutes for the setting to sync back to ST, ST however already re-applied the lower setting based on your profile - which is annoying (my profile looks at the power consumption of the TV outlet - this is reported multiple times per minute and if the environment has changed, the rule will be applied …

as advised, during my current stay I have now purchased 2 Osram Lightify dimmer switches to give them a go and see if they work with ST as they potentially dont look for the feedback that the HUE bridge gives to the HUE dimmer switch …

with regards to disconnect behaviour - I did see that the HUE dimmer switch, didnt disconnect like it does on ST when being connected to an Osram Lightify Gateway - so assumption here, Osram does include additional things in their code that isnt present in any of the available ones for the ST<->HUE dimmer switch integration …

Just wanted to mention that Linear has released their new zwave smart light switch cover in the US which has a similar form factor as the Osram switch (it fits over an existing light switch) and, assuming it can be set up as a button controller with SmartThings, should meet the same use cases as the Phillips dimmer switch and the Osram Lightify smart switch. Since the Linear is Z wave, however, it should not have the drop off issues that Zigbee switches do. So it may be yet another alternative for some people.

well those arent certified for the UK so wont help me unfortunately but good to point it out - though it looks - well - meh :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, pretty ugly IMO but if it works it may be an alternative. Sucks that I already have 3 of the OSRAM switches and cannot get that one working reliably.

EDIT: The description says black color but picture is white, wonder which one I would actually get and if I can get white instead of black? I found another listing that doesn’t specify black or white for a few dollars more.

my hue dimmer switch has been working flawlessly since i made my first post here a few weeks back. the trick was to remove then re-add it to smartthings.

Unfortunately for me it doesnt work. No matter how many times i add and remove,… after 30 - 60min the connection is broken everytime… really annoying… otherwise the dimmer is perfect for the setup i have in mind.

same here - is there any further development/troubleshooting on this device handler? else I need to sell mine :frowning: I dont want to use the hue bridge as then I cannot use the switch as an override smaller than 5+ minutes …

not sure if some additional debugging could be enabled in the device handler to show where it breaks …