Hue delay between bulbs?

It’s funny how many bugs do seem to be purely their cloud issues…

But yea the reason I’m considering going to v2, is to get that updated zigbee stack. Having all these cree bulbs on the hue bridge kinda sucks. Can ‘mess up’ scenes within the hue app which I do play with sometimes but not always. When you have a white only bulb in a room its like ‘oh no you can only do white scenes’ unless you take a hammer to it and force it on it. Plus the speed of ST connected bulbs. Here in my office they are all on ST and its noticeable how fast they turn on compared to the Hue integration. And I have so many cree bulbs, the bug with the stack/firmware means <12 bulbs or all hell breaks loose

Interesting, I hadn’t even considered directly linking bulbs… unfortunately though I use hue switches as an override to automation…

Just got this back from support

Thanks for getting back to me here. It does look like there was a change made to Hue that is causing this and we are still looking into things here, but the option for color temp in Smart Home Monitor does look to be a working method as of now. Use this setting for the time being, but the option in the regular color option is something we are looking into.

Let me know and I can get you updates as we looking into things, otherwise please get in touch if there is anything else down the road!

2 Likes

So after saying that things have been running fine… it’s all broken…

I first had issues where one of my two hall lights wouldn’t turn on when triggered… but would be randomly 1 or the other…

Today both have come on but one would be fully on until the other started coming on…

Also today in the living room when watching a film, as expected the main lights automatically dimmed and the lamps came on… but then one of the main lights came on at full brightness…

All of this seems to be since the update… will see how I get on, might give everything a re-boot see if that gets things playing nicer…

LOL I hear ya man. I started the migration to v2 yesterday at 2. At 2:30 my breaker popped and wouldnt reset. I spent the next 7 hours troubleshooting it to the point where I am at now, I cant fix it…waiting for an electrician. And with the Flooding here in Nashville, its going to be thursday before my office has power again. But the hub and router are on a battery which is now on an extension cord so yea.

9pm started moving devices over. Well can say the hue delay / popcorning is still here…and actually worse I think. Slower.

I will say going from the first shard to now on na04…things are weird and different. I get crashes of the app a lot more, the api site acts weird like not listing my devices unless i go click my hub first. Overall just weird. I can see why people complain. I was perfectly happy on my v1 on the OG shard. Now I’m not and already seeing differences. Like my multi sensor didnt want to go into ‘garage door’ mode until I changed its DTH. When I added it years ago it ‘just did it’. Now not so much.

Tho I will say it is kinda cool seeing things get firmware updates as I add them. Waiting to see the Cree bulbs to get updates… saw the osram’s get it, iris stuff as well.

Sounds like a right PITA, mine seems to be playing a little nicer again now… guess someone was having some issues somewhere! Hope you get it all sorted though and let me know how it ends up!

So looks like they have “fixed” this… I only know because they have made a change to force the input to be an integer as my lighting has just stopped working properly!.. a quick code update and now all working, but worries me that this issue will be elsewhere?

LOL well I’ve moved all my automation to call ‘2700’ in temp instead of ‘cool white’ so I guess I wont notice. The popcorning is my main bug at this point.

One thing I’m going to do in the next few weeks is do a full write-up for ‘whats it like to migrate in 2017’ since we do still get those questions and well…at this point I see NO reason to go from v1 to v2 even when the v2 is on sale for $50. Going to give it a couple weeks to workout my automation bugs since you have to start fresh. Giving it time since we all had a long time to debug our setups. Despite my attempts of screen shooting every automation and copying it anew…still buggy compared to before.

I know this hue delay is such a 1st world issue…but I still say its easy to reproduce, buy 5 bulbs and automate them as if they are 1 room. I’ll see if your reported change for color made any difference with speed…that automation only fires after sundown.

I’ve always been running v2 Hub. Had a working setup with one room having 7 Hue bulbs connected via a Hue Bridge triggered using ST motion sensor by ST Smart Lighting rule that worked perfectly and now living with this delay is infuriating me. I’ve usually left the room before the lights completed turning on.

this after ST dicked about over Hue showing lime green when warm white was requested in “Smart Lighting” another regression they introduced presumably.

2 Likes

One year old thread. “Bug” still around. We are a day away from the Hue controller going ‘local’. Any bets on if the popcorn affect is still a thing? I’m betting it will

OMG, almost one year to the day… The new local processing of Hue… has almost solved the issue. It is not perfect, but close. More obvious in my ktichen where i have 7 bulbs being turned on via motion. It turns on the first 2 super fast and almost the same time. Third soon after, then 4,5,6,7 fairly quick. In my bedroom with 3 bulbs, it seems almost simultaneous but not exactly.

So this is as close as I’d expect we ever will get with the system these days…

Looks like you lost money to yourself :slight_smile:

Still no change here in the UK

@KevinH - Sorry I’ve just had a quick google and can’t find anything? I assumed you were talking about the new ST update? Are you talking about a Hue hub update? If so I’ll check my Hue firmware when I get home…

Further Edit: Ok should have checked the release notes! So it is ST… did you need to update the DTH to support local?

The new ST firmware update to the hub made Hue a possible local processing candidate. I keep everything very basic in terms of DTH and smart apps. So using smart lighting and whatever stock dth’s that the devices detected as for all my stuff. But whats funny is according to the api like none of my automations are running local…but… I will say that the hue delay is much reduced now.

Like a lot. In the kitchen with 5 br30’s turning on and setting to 2700k, first 2 come on together within half a second or less of each other, then the third maybe a beat later, then 4 and 5 together a beat later. Much less annoying. Before those 5 bulbs would take easily 2-3 seconds total to turn on you could count them out loud saying the full word one two three four five before they would turn on.

Its not perfect, its closer to what we had over a year ago tho.

If you look under devices you should see that the DTH has automatically changed… That appears to be what i am seeing they are now listed as LAN…

As you say though all of my Apps are listed as cloud although the Hue app isn’t listed there, I assume they have pushed this local as well, but not sure how to check…

I’ll check Hue for updates later and re-test, but I’m not expecting much of an improvement…

I reported an issue back on Nov. 22nd, a week or more after the most recent Hub update.

Everything was working fine for me before then, however, the update was purported to fix Alexa issues. Since that update I’ve had an extremely slow response time (30+ seconds up to never) on all my Hue bulbs whether activated via Alexa, motion or Z-Wave switches.

Despite the problem seemingly circling around Hue bulbs, tech support keeps blaming Alexa… No indication of when the problem will be resolved, and still no way to roll back hub updates that are broken.

It seems they have no QA group, and managment/developers don’t care a bit when they’ve broken things.

An extremely disappointing situation. Glad I’ve not wasted money integrating security or locks into this…will jump ship the first chance I get.

Have you tried controlling the hue bulbs directly with Alexa, so not via SmartThings? At least that way you can rule out anything with either of the two…

I’d also remove the batteries from your ST hub if you have not already, and unplug it, your hue hub and your router/modem…

If that still doesn’t fix your issue, then try a full reset on the Hue hub… sorry if I’m just telling you stuff you’ve already tried…

To be honest I think that the issues in this thread are actually not hue at all, but just ST sending commands to multiple devices… I need to give it a go with a couple of outlets and see what happens…

Your issue looks to be unrelated to this issue, albeit still a PITA…

please remove

Well over a year later, still no comment from SmartThings, still no resolution and still no take up on my offer to let them control my lights and try to figure it out…

At this point I’m interested to see if Hubitat’s integration with Hue works without the popcorn effect… for me getting rid of the delay is a pretty good reason for moving hubs…

I’ll say that the move to having Hue run locally has helped but yes the popcorn is still there. I’ve almost forgot about it… And Ill have to curse you now that you reminded me of this.

For how little I do in terms of ‘complexity’ I prob could switch to Hubitat easily. The worst thing is the devices I’ve chosen over the last 3 years. Not looked to see what all is supported. But at this point I’m mostly content… not happy, but not upset…with my setup.