Hue delay between bulbs?

When you look at the official code its amazingly over complicated compared too the 3rd party software I have used on ST

I have always used a 3rd party handler as I didn’t want 33 bulbs added to ST. With the 3rd party i only have 10 groups and 4 bulbs added to ST.

I have used Hue (Re)Connect which I found buggy switched Hue Lights & Groups & Scenes (OH MY!) and then too Hue B Smart (Smart and FAST Hue Lighting) on release day and as @infofriend as disappeared I currently have taken over development as people have been unable to install it for nearly two months.

For a group I assume you can set levels, colours, temperature etc? In which case more acceptable than scenes…

This is however part of the problem with using 3rd party software, the devs go and only if you are lucky someone else picks it up! I ended up picking up development of Plex integration in the same way! So thanks for working on this…

See this post for screenshots of each Bulb, Group and more

I wont be going anywhere unless my smartthings hub dies as i will look at options for more local processing. Been making small edits to DHs since ive been here

Can CoRE / webCoRE handle groups or scenes by itself, or only with the enhanced DTH’s for hue that bring in scenes, etc.?

You can’t do Hue groups or scenes without the DTH and smart app above…

Tagging @ady624

1 Like

You can do Hue scenes with IFTTT without needing a special DTH.

Yeah, that’s One way to do it, would sooner use the DTH rather than push via another cloud though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just shudder to think about re-adding all those hue bulbs and fixing the lighting automations in Lights and CoRE if I switch the device handlers!

None of the two know how to talk to Hue directly, though there is a great chance webCoRE will learn in the near future. It can currently change LIFX scenes.

Thank you @JDRoberts

4 Likes

Wow, it keeps getting better!

I have this problem too, worked fine, no changes by me and then the delay between each lamp a few month back. Havent had time to look into it till now and I see it ST again causing the problem…

Wondering if we are going to get to 1 year on this ‘feature’ bug. Still see this issue every day here, still no movement from ST on fixing it. Multiple people across many areas and devices with the same issue… oh well. I guess Im 0 for 3 on my reported issues…so far none been fixed and going on a long time for all them.

1 Like

Same here too shame ST don’t even feel necessary to provide an update let alone a fix.

Well… the delay is still here. But … But … Last night I noticed the delay has gotten less. I can’t walk across my kitchen before all 5 come on. So there’s that. With that is also the new issue that has been reported of setting color to ‘cool white’ in smart lighting doesn’t do that. They say ‘working on it on our end’. So I wonder if this will be another bug like this one. Next project is to go from my v1 hub to a v2 hub maybe this weekend. Figure for $50 I couldn’t not upgrade. But yea…one of the longest bugs still going strong here

If you do move to hub v2 I would recommend using my Hue app and DH’s [UPDATED DECEMBER 2017] Hue B Smart (Groups & Scenes) which will give you hue groups/rooms which will remove the popcorn effect you are seeing.

I would also recommend moving from smart lighting to webcore

Recommend all ya want… not going to do it. Honestly my system is stable. Even when there are reported system outages like yesterday, somehow everything here worked. That is part of the reason why I’ve been so reluctant to move from what I have. Just saying this makes me reconsider this move.

But I dont want a more complicated automation setup. Not saying they arent ‘better’ solutions that offer more ‘flexibility’ I just dont need it or want it. Anecdotally everyone I’ve seen with issues has a very complex setup. I used to do much more. But my friend who got me into ST had a very basic setup and had no issues. So I went back to the ‘apple’ mindset and just do what ST wants you to do, use their baked in stuff. And since then my setup of like $4000 in devices (around 80 things) has been honestly rock solid other than this popcorn effect and yesterdays’ light temp issue. But that is actually resolved sorta as smart lighting now offers color temp option which wasnt there when I setup my automations.

Who can say they havent touched their automations in months? Other than making some adjustments in my automations for when my parents came to visit, having guests in the house other than just my solo self means some automations needed changing, I havent touched anything in easily 3 months maybe more. Ok I lie, just remembered had one iris window sensor lose connection a couple weeks ago, first time I’ve ever had to reset any device. So my choice of going very basic has worked I think…I want my lights to come on with motion, and based around time and presence, and a few other things like cameras, water sensors, and the such. I dont have a super complicated setup but its also not the most basic…but it works…which from the sounds of most of the people on this forum is a very uncommon thing.

I must say I’m seeing similar results… I still get the pop corn effect (I don’t think I have seen an improvement though), but the last year or so overall the whole platform has been pretty reliable, I had an issue about a week ago where one of my bulbs would occasionally turn on to 50% but only happened a couple of times and probably a hue issue…

I’m also reluctant to use an alternative Hue app, but more because using groups makes the whole thing a lot more work to achieve the variants I want… I’d sooner ST / Hue fix the problem, but I don’t have enough bulbs in a group to worry about it that much!

LOL I have that same issue… I have my Cree’s paired to Hue since on v1 we still have the zigbee stack bug… So every now and then last week yea one of 7 bulbs (always one of the 2 cree’s) would turn on at 50%, but like if I stood still and wait for the motion sensor to go idle…then refire the automation it would fix itself to 100%. Since in all my automations I try to specify % and color/color temp for good measure.

Do I really want to swap to the v2 hub lol. The more I think about it, my crap just works for the most part. Gah…decisions. It can sit here for a while longer I guess

Glad it’s not just me, if the issue persists then I might update my smart app to double trigger (All my automatons and lighting are using my own smart app that pretty much does everything for me).

I’m on the V2 I started using ST just after it came out… I’m not sure there is any benefit to moving over really, the only “benefit” was local processing which doesn’t really exist anyway!