Hue bulb without Hue Bridge?

I’ve been following this thread and would like to connect my Hue Lux bulbs directly to ST v1 hub. My ultimate goal is to be able to control them through ST (really I want to control them through Logitech Home Harmony) with a Lutron Connect Bulb remote as a secondary controller. My first step was to add them to ST. Because I have the Lutron Connected bulb remote I started by factory reseting the bulbs. I then added to ST and they were recognized as a Thing, then went into My Devices and changed device type to Hue Lux bulb. Although I can see the bulb, I can’t control them through ST. Can anyone help?

I have not worked with a Hue Lux bulb only Hue. I may be able to help if you can post your hub log when your bulb joins for the first time. When a new device joins the SmartThings hub queries it for its supported clusters and end nodes and logs the results. If I have that information I can get a feel for what is going on. It will be in your hub log under the “My Hubs” tab not the “Live Logging”

Oh just thought of this. When I first joined my Hue Bulb to Hub V1 I first had to have tech support enable something on my hub so the bulb would be recognized. That was over a year ago not sure if they still have to do that? I never circled back to figure out what they were enabling. I would like to know just as an FYI.

@JohnR what device type are you using for your Hue bulbs? The stock one isn’t great. I just updated to the one developed by @Kristopher, but I noticed it still doesn’t do any binding or report configuration. I plan to use it with one of the new Hue dimmer switches, so I need it to report back when it’s changed.

My friend, why exactly do you want to bypass the hue bridge? What are the benefits? Would strongly suggest using the hue bridge to get to ST. I already installed the new dimmer switch/remote and it does pick up the right status depending upon how close you are to the 5 minutes polling in ST. This has come up time and again not to marry it directly.

It’s a personal preference. I don’t want the additional hub (expense, box, etc…), and I don’t want the additional latency or control limitations of a C2C integration. ST and Hue speak the same language, so I’d prefer they talk direct; especially now that the new dimmer remote will enable me to reset/steal the bulbs back if I change my mind down the road.

According to the following thread, it’s no longer a cloud to cloud integration, it’s now direct on the LAN. No authorization required in either direction, which is why the hue integration is working for UK customers.

2 Likes

It is… 20 characters

JohnR, Thanks for responding. Not sure what you mean by hub log - I see something called List Events - there are 5 events that I think pertain. When I search for the new devise, when the search ended and then it records when I turn the bulb on and off. Attached is the data it sent to turn the bulb on and then off.

“microDeviceTile”: {
“type”: “standard”,
“icon”: “st.switches.light.on”,
“backgroundColor”: “#79b821

“microDeviceTile”: {
“type”: “standard”,
“icon”: “st.switches.light.off”,
“backgroundColor”: “#ffffff

Sticks18 and I are on the same page. Don’t want to buy an additional hub. Ultimately I want this controlled through my Logitech Home Harmony hub. I bought the ST hub so that I could support Zigbee devices (like GE Link Bulbs) with my Logitech remote (plus convenience of adding it to Harmony activities). I don’t want to have to buy a third hub just to support these bulbs.

I bought Hue Lux because those bulbs are now only $20. The Lutron Connected Bulb remote gets me past the factory reset issue and allows me to have a wireless wall mounted switch (secondary controller). If I can control the Hue Lux through Logitech (via ST hub) I’d have the best of both worlds.

The Hue Lux bulb device type is for bulbs connected through the Hue Bridge.

Try changing the device type to GE Link bulb or Cree. One of the Zigbee bulb device types should get you some functionality. You might need to force the configure() to run again via the simulator in order to get it to report its state better.

1 Like

I’m a bit confused. I am following this thread and it seems that the “recommended” way to go is through the hue bridge - https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200848024-Connecting-Philips-hue-to-SmartThings but I can try to connect to the bulbs directly as long as I don’t mind the hassle of relinking them later, but… how does the direct connection deal with color? I don’t have any hue stuff today - if all I want is a hue lightstrip (or lightstrip plus), does it mean I can get it without a hue bridge, connect it directly to the ST V2 and I’ll be able to manage color through ST? Or how does it work with a bridge - is there UI in the ST app for a color wheel?

The reason connecting through the Hue bridge is the officially recommended way is that Phillips did not originally provide anyway to factory reset an individual bulb once it had been connected to a zigbee controller. It wasn’t even easy to move bulbs to a new bridge. (Most zigbee bulbs can be individually reset with a blink pattern, but hues cannot.)

Consequently, adding bulbs directly to the smart things hub without using a Hue bridge meant that it was often very difficult to take those bulbs off the bridg even just to move bulbs to a new bridge.

There was an additional wrinkle because the Hue bridge uses the ZLL (zigbee light link) profile and the smartthings hub uses the ZHA (zigbeE home automation) profile. ZHA has more channels than ZLL, and if you linked a bulb directly to the Hub it was possible that you might be putting the bulb onto a channel where other ZLL devices would never be able to find it.

Consequently, adding bulbs directly to the smartthings hub without using a Hue bridge meant that it was often very difficult to take those bulbs off the hub later.

However, since that advice, there are now several ways to reset an individual bulb. The easiest is probably with the $30 Lutron connected bulb remote, which can reset an individual bulb on any Zigbee channel. So now you don’t run the risk of the bulb being locked to the smart things hub forever. But still requires buying an extra $30 device just for the purpose of resetting, smartthings doesn’t want to make that their recommended method.

As far as color goes, smartthings is able to adjust color on a number of different devices, such as the fibaro RGBW controller, Zwave RGB bulb, and a hue color bulb.

Maybe @smart can post a screenshot of his mobile app showing the device tile. He has a lot of colors hues. I only have the white ones.

1 Like

That’s really helpful - thanks! A screenshot would be really helpful. Kind of afraid investing so much in colorful bulbs without being sure I can get the color out of them. I am looking at the feature matrix here and frankly can’t tell what’s “obviously possible” and what is (if anything) a hue-only thing - http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/products/. I feel like it’s 1995 and there’s an AOL cd telling me that I need AOL to get on the internet and I don’t know any better. For example, lightstrip vs lightstrip plus - the plus is telling me it has “create your ambience” and the regular lightstrip “doesn’t” but from what I can tell, it’s just being able to change color on a schedule - something I can do with just ST or IFTTT or similar.

I’ve tried setting the device type to Cree, GE Link and Zigbee Hue bulb, but no success. I’m afraid your suggestion to force the configure () to run again via the simulator is beyond my skill level. Can you dummy that down and translate into more remedial terms? Thanks for your help!!!

Sorry should have stated that the above was in reply to Sticks18 and in reference to trying to control a Hue Lux bulb connected directly to the ST hub (v1)

The Strips are RGB and 120 lumen.
The Plus is RGBW and 1600 lumen. Also they can be connected whereas the originals were sealed off.

“Create your ambience” is a term that Phillips used to distinguish between “color changing” (which means different colors like red, blue, orange,) and “ambience” (which means different color temperatures of white from cool white to warm white) .

the right ambience for any moment with a range of beautiful, natural white light. Use the app to set any shade of white light, from cool energizing daylight to relaxing warm white light. So set the mood. Change the ambience. Feel different. Feel better.

Originally only the color Hue bulbs and Lux bulbs could do white light, and the “friends of hue” did RGB.

However, the hue name has now pretty much become the brand name for the whole line, and so that division has gotten lost.

The new models are also generally brighter than the previous generation.

The new models are now named:

Hue white and color (replaces the old Hue)

Hue white (replaces the old lux)

Hue lightstrip plus (replaces the old lightstrip)

The old models will continue to be sold while inventory is available,

So if I understand you right, since the new lightstrip+ is rgbw, I could set those cool and warm whites directly through ST rather than having to go through the bridge? I just ordered some. I’ll post a screenshot here in a couple of days for other folks to see once I figure out how to set this up. Crossing my fingers that I don’t have to go back and buy the bridge :smile:

On clicking the color palette;

3 Likes

I’ve gone back and forth on both. For a while the Hue integration was real bad before Juan cleaned it up. I have about half my bulbs connecting via Hue, and half via the ST hub now. My one recommendation is to add one (just one, it doesn’t matter which) Hue (connect) bulb to Pollster and make it refresh once per minute. This keeps things a lot fresher.