SmartThings Community

Hue Advanced (Connect)

hue
smartapp_lighting

Getting the “Unexpected error” at the last step. Here is the error in the logs.

58845ac4-8877-4415-abce-1f846ac9ae1f 3:08:02 PM: error physicalgraph.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type ‘Hue Advanced Bridge’ in namespace ‘claytonjn’ not found. @ line 564

Using the latest code. Tried removing everything and readding multiple times.

(Clayton) #82

You installed the SmartApp and all (9) of the Device Handlers? It doesn’t think that the device handler for the bridge is installed.

That was it. I thought I reinstalled them. :confused: Thanks for your help.

(Scott Shell) #84

Clayton,

Sorry for not getting a chance to do this earlier but I finally was able to move my installation (smartapp & device handlers) over to the development branch and I can now verify that when I turn on and off circadian daylight in the iOS app it now cycles through the states as it should.

Scott

(Adam Davidson) #85

Hi Clayton,

I have a feature request, I wonder how many others would be interested in this:

As SmartThings knows the brightness and temperature of the bulbs, it would technically be possible to calculate the wattage of a hue bulb, when on and off, and store that value over time, to get an idea of the cost of running the bulbs.

Would this be something of interest to others?

(Clayton) #86

I’m not sure how feasible this would really be. Do we know that the wattage would be linear when a light is dimmed? Do we know that the power draw is the same across various colors? Perhaps those could be figured out and calculated, but more importantly there are multiple different physical bulbs that use the same device handler, and have no way of being distinguished in the Hue API. For example, the regular color bulbs have two generations, the second of which is higher lumen, but they look identical in the API. Also, all of the LivingColors lights (Go, Bloom, Iris) presumably all have different power draw, but again look the same in the API.

(Adam Davidson) #87

Certainly makes sense when you put it that way.

Cheers!

(sapstar) #88

@claytonjn thanks very much for making this awesome smart app for Philips hue. I wanted to control colour temperature of my hue lights in CoRE routines, but wasnt possible using the hue connect smart app. The hue advanced connect did this without any issues. But I have noticed a few other problems with this app and not sure what I am doing wrong.

When lights are turned on and off the status sometimes still isn’t updated in smartthings. This didn’t happen with the stock hue connect app. I could see the lights are all reachable in the hue android app and reporting the correct status. Can you please let me know how to troubleshoot this issue?

I am currently only turning lights on and off through smartthings. I even configured alexa to control lights via smartthings.

(Clayton) #89

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I snoozed your email in Inbox and apparently it (and I) forgot about you. I just pushed a big update, so try installing that first. Please see my post below.

(Clayton) #90

I just pushed a fairly major update from the development branch to the stable branch, which includes a lot of upstream changes (including device health), as well as some bug fixes. Also, I renamed the Device Handlers to “lights” rather than “bulbs”. This was mostly cosmetic, but also because things were referenced differently in different places and this made it easier for me to read through the code.

Due to this change, you might need to remove all your Hue devices and re-add them after updating. You are more than welcome to try a regular update and see if everything still works, but be aware that all Hue devices may become unusable and require removal and being re-added. The recommended approach would be to remove all Hue devices and the Hue Advanced (Connect) SmartApp before updating the code, then adding everything back.

I know this is an inconvenience. It’s a pain to remove all your devices and re-do all your automations. I’ve actually held off on pushing this since November for this reason, but after using the development version for over 3 months I definitely think it’s a stable and worthwhile update.

(Kevin) #91

I just installed this last night and it works really well, except (you knew there had to be an exception, right?) the transition time setting doesn’t seem to make any difference in either individual lights or groups. I’ve tried everything from 0s to 8s (or whatever the maximum is) and it always seems to default to around 1s. Do you have any ideas or is it a bug in the code?

(Clayton) #92

I’ve always used 1s, so I didn’t notice this. You’re right that it doesn’t seem to be working for turning on lights (turning off doesn’t use transition time because there’s a bug in the Hue bridge where if you send off with a transition time the lights will turn back on at 1% brightness). It does still seem to be working for color/brightness changes however. I did notice also that setting transition time to 0 no longer works.

I tested directly on the Hue hub, completely bypassing SmartThings and all other integrations, and I get the same behavior. This indicates that it’s not an issue with Hue Advanced (Connect) but rather a but (or maybe change?) in the Hue API. The documentation for the API doesn’t seem to indicate any change, so for now I’m going to assume it’s a bug and will not make any adjustments to Hue Advanced. If I do find out that this is a permanent change I’ll make changes to Hue Advanced accordingly.

The issue with sending transition time with an off command was reported in March 2016 (https://developers.meethue.com/content/using-transitiontime-onfalse-resets-bri-1) and is still not resolved, so I’m not hopeful of a fast resolution but who knows.

(Kevin) #93

Thanks for the reply, @claytonjn!

I actually figured out most of this after typing my post. I didn’t realize that the 1% brightness issue was a bug with Philips, I just thought it was a bug with other SmartApps I’ve tried.

I did notice that other apps and SmartApps let you specify transition time in fractions of seconds. Is there a way to do that with yours? I prefer something like 200ms myself.

Is there a document that details the various functions you made available on the bulbs? Thanks!

(Clayton) #94

I’m guessing with those apps you enter it in the settings for the device, rather than with a slider tile? I could implement that, it other people have no objection.

Basically, everything available in the API. Basically, you have: alert, colorloop, bri_inc, sat_inc, hue_inc, ct_inc, xy_inc on top of the typical things.

(Kevin) #95

Rather than a slider tile, there were two tiles to increment the transition time: -100ms and +100ms. [quote=“claytonjn, post:94, topic:48868”]
Basically, everything available in the API. Basically, you have: alert, colorloop, bri_inc, sat_inc, hue_inc, ct_inc, xy_inc on top of the typical things.
[/quote]

My mistake, it was a previous SmartApp that I was trying that had some more functions than I had seen before.

(Clayton) #96

How would people feel about just moving the transition time into settings, and allowing the user to type in exactly the value they want? This would also clean up the main tile interface of each device. I never change transition time other than initial setup, but I don’t know how often other people change it.

(Daniel Hitchcock) #97

Getting “An unexpected error occured” Live Log:

[Warn] - Device type Luminaire not supported
[Error] - java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method initialize() on null object @ line 564

Fresh install - Tried with Circadian and without

Seems to be when adding a group that has my Hue Beyond Pendant…

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Daniel

(Clayton) #98

Looks like the Hue Beyond Pendant is represented differently than other Hue bulbs, Friend of Hue lights, etc. due to having multiple distinct, controllable sections. I don’t have one of these devices to test with, but from what I’m reading in the documentation you should be able to control the entire light as a group, just the top, just the bottom, or the three lights that make up the bottom each individually. What type of control are you looking for?

By the way, did you have the Hue Beyond Pendant working with SmartThings through the stock Hue (Connect)? As far as I know that light wouldn’t even work with the stock setup.

(Daniel Hitchcock) #99

Yes, it worked with the standard app (as individual bulbs) and OH MY (as a group) too. I can add the individual elements of the Hue Beyond Pendant as bulbs but, when I add the ALL group (which is the 3 lower and 1 upper), it errors same with the Lower (3 lower) group.

I am looking to control the light as a whole and the lower part and upper part independently if required.

Daniel

(ilker Aktuna) #100

Hi,

I’ve finally managed to move all my 13 hue bulbs to the new hue advanced app and recreated my smart apps.

now there’s one question I could not answer to myself:

how can I use circadian light feature ?
Do I have to install anything from here :

I am using the circadian device handlers. but then how can I enable this feature
?