SmartThings Community

Hubitat Elevation Hub - Home Automation that is local

@tgauchat posted this in another thread :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I’ll kick it off then. Anyone physically have one yet? Any details? Mine is on order, I’ll report back findings once I have it.

1 Like

I’ve just emailed them to ask it there is a UK version.
If there is then I’ll buy one to try

I may buy one - thinking about it

1 Like

If you can get ST like configuration but without the cloud then I would swap in a heartbeat

5 Likes

As would hundreds (maybe thousands) of people here.

But that’s not enough for a sustainable business. Heck, SmartThings is probably not self-sustainable with even a million customers.

Hubitat also has an (optional?) annual subscription fee. Something that SmartThings has been unable to introduce.

5 Likes

To be honest, if I had to pay $50 per year as a subscription then I would be happy to do it.
IF… all processing of my rules is local.
It would be really nice if I could use my current groovy smartapps too :slight_smile:

6 Likes

i’m keeping an eye on this one mainly due to the people involved. But I’m not sure if it will ever be a good fit for my household.

2 Likes

Because of the people involved I think there’s a lot of potential here. If more people get behind this I think it could be amazing. Time will tell, but I’m hedging my bets and going for it. Worst case I have another toy laying around. I just hope it doesn’t end up in the pile sitting next to my Wink Hub 2.

2 Likes

I wish they had more technical details on the site, at least the user manual. I hate home automation sites that are just marketing flash. :scream: But lots of good people involved, obviously.

12 Likes

@JDRoberts, I spent a good deal of time harassing them at info@hubitat.com today and posting on their community site.

They are fairly responsive and provided details that I asked for. They were still posting things online after I was asking questions about them. I think they are still ramping up as they are still in “launch” phase. I do agree they should have much more details on their website before launch, but if they spent the time on product and not marketing I’ll be happier.

6 Likes

So the big thing here is not just local but the ability to write your own smar… errr “hubitapps”?

@ultrazero, yes. Not only everything is local, but you can write your own “drivers” or device handlers, apps, etc (in groovy no less).

I’m thinking Home Assistant but with better rules engine and groovy expand-ability instead of python.

I used Home Assistant during the early January outage and was happy and almost dropped ST entirely except for my garage door. Well Hubitat supports it so we shall see if I stay with a mix of the two, or three or not. We shall see.

Seems to me that hardware is easy. It’s going to take a lot of good work to create the secret sauce of a software platform and developer support.

3 Likes

Well… tell that to dozens upon dozens of failed hardware startups!

Hardware, software, support, marketing, market penetration, product management, etc., etc., etc., are all extremely hard. Take it from us at Thingterfaces LP (producers of ActionTiles)… It’s a ton of work and that’s without the complications of hardware production.

It required SmartThings a $1.2 million Kickstarter campaign plus a multiple rounds of angel / venture funding (around $17 million in total, I think) in order to deliver a semi-stable product to market and eventually receive acquisition offers.

Samsung was willing to sink $200 million to acquire (compared to $3.2 billion for Nest). Now, with that $200 million spent many times over, ST still doesn’t have tremendous market penetration and still doesn’t have “high enough” customer satisfaction, reliability, and ease of use.

This doesn’t mean that alternatives aren’t great to see in the marketplace and that I wish them well … but the odds are very stacked against all newcomers in any industry.

If I knew how to identify a winner this early and had spare cash to invest … I’d be very rich.

Based on the limited info so far, Hubitat has one focused marketing point: Local execution. That’s something that many other products already offer, and that the most popular smart home products don’t have (e.g., well over 10,000,000 Amazon Echo Dot’s sold that are 100% cloud dependant).

Alternative products / market competition is generally a good thing as it pushes both large and small companies to do better. But just being “the best product / technology” is most certainly not enough to win or even survive.

I believe that Samsung is committed to SmartThings, even as it will transform radically over the next several years. With Samsung’s size and head-start, the majority of consumers will benefit more quickly than with any of the startups. The early adopters and power-users willing to explore the startups, however, may lead to the next generation and evolution of smart home … since evolution is certainly not linear and certainly possible to be stunted in a large entity. The usual technology paradox.

14 Likes

These all look good…

You can check to see if a new firmware update is available in the Habitat Elevation Web Interface and you can determine if and when you want to upgrade your firmware

Q: If I have to replace my Hub, do I lose all my automations?
A: No, you don’t. You can restore from the backup of your database. Remember to back up and download on a regular basis. If you do not back it up, you cannot restore it!

Q: How many devices does Hubitat Elevation allow connected to the Hub?
A: Good question, we don’t have a preset limit of devices as it depends on the complexity of the devices, type of device and how active they are. Zigbee and Z-Wave networks have specific limitations and considerations to keep in mind when building out your mesh network.

3 Likes

How can they enforce a subscription if all processing is local?

Q: What is the difference between the Premium Service and regular service?
A: Premium services are optional features that will be added as we develop them. We plan to release a dashboard solution, remote access to your Hub web interface, cloud backup and storage and much more. Your purchase of the Hub includes base functionality and future firmware upgrades. There is no required annual subscription, although we hope you will find additional value in what we will provide in the Premium Services to renew, which is why we are including the first year for free ($49.95 value).

Q: What are the Premium Services?
A: We will be rolling out our Premium Services soon and will communicate clearly what they are before you use them. The price for the Premium Services will be $49.95 per year. Premium services will all be cloud-based; none of the local processing of the system will be a Premium Service. You could also say that not all cloud services will be premium services, that there will be basic cloud functionality for free, including popular integrations, mobile presence, smartphone notifications.

2 Likes

@Glen_King, I don’t think they can or intend to enforce a subscription. That’s just a possible operating model. Some things/features require external capabilities no matter what. Example Alexa integration or Google Home integration and numerous other things. Those will require external access points, and other features that would be integrated into other systems. I can see them have a premium services for those, such as automated backups. Have to store them somewhere and storage costs. Remote monitoring? Other add on things or “nice to haves”. However those things I think are nice to have but not critical. My saying “Alexa turn on the light” is not as critical as my motion sensor not turning on the light in the middle of the night when I go to the bathroom :smile: Or my garage door not opening/closing as it should because the internet took a dump on me (could by my connection) could be provider, don’t know, and really don’t care. Automations should be local and that’s a big thing for me. Yes I could go with another system, and I was about to until I saw Hubitat this morning. Yes I was going to go with either HomeSeer or Fibaro but I learned about Hubitat and figure why not. I’ll give it a try.

Ability to write custom devices and apps is the cherry on the top. I was all for moving to Home Assistant and had it up, running and then hit problems with devices not working correctly and no support for my garage door opener etc (not a HA issue, but an OpenZwave issue that is now patched but not mainstream code yet). So I’m back to ST. There’s a lot of good about ST and I don’t think I’ll ever completely get rid of it, but if I can have the power and flexibility of ST but with local control now that is nice.

Anyways, new product, new toy, time will tell.

I love the local automation but I have a few concerns.

1. If you don’t need the internet after initial installation, how will you receive notifications?
  2. My Arlo cameras are integrated into Smartthings and until they can be incorporated as well as in Smartthings, it is a no go for me.
  3. If I purchase this, will they still be here in 2 -5 years?

Brian

2 Likes