Hub Firmware Release Notes - OTA - 16.9 - V2

No. I don’t have a hub to do that. One thing that I would like to know is if these OTA updates are for official ST devices only, then why are my Lightify strips, and gardenspots, and iris contact sensors being checked daily for firmware?

I bought a hub for like 20 bucks and updated all my current ones and first thing I do if I add a new one. I have 10 lights and strips and none have had an issue. Not saying that is the reason for issues. But I was having a few issues here and there which was the reason for the hub and the updates eliminated all issues when they were updated. The other it may check all ZigBee devices but nothing to check against so it will report that but that all it will do is report it check and there is nothing to update but something ST would have to answer definitively.

My issues with the Osram products started when the OTA firmware updates were enabled. The random turn on’s happen at the exact same time that their firmware is checked; according to the Smartthings IDE.

For this reason, I can’t justify buying an Osram hub at this time. I may disable OTA updates to see if this solves my problem.

1 Like

Hi Eric, this is how ZigBee OTA works (you can find the spec online if you are sufficiently interested). At a high level, the hub advertises itself as an OTA server to all devices. Devices which can act as OTA clients then periodically check with the OTA server for updates.

I’ll see if we have some Lightify strips around (or we’ll get some at our main engineering office) to see if we can reproduce the issue next week. My best guess at present is that there is an issue with the Lightify firmware that we might need to work around or tell them to fix, but we probably can’t say more until we do the engineering work. For now, disabling OTA might make sense.

If you haven’t already, please report the issue to support so they can categorize how widespread the problem is and involve the appropriate users in other communication/test programs down the road.

3 Likes

All my osram products have the latest firmware and I had no issues. It might be an issue they already addressed but of course people without a lightify hub they can’t get it.

1 Like

Ok thanks. Will do!

You can get the osram/lightify hubs for $20-$30. You might want to update them that way…

Hi, I got the update, enabled OTA updates Ave noticed that my multi purpose sensor has a target target firmware different than the current (which means I need to update it) how do I do that?

Thank you

If you’ve enabled OTA on the hub then just reseat the battery and preferably leave it close to the hub. Should update within the hour.

2 Likes

My lughtify strip and spots are working fine. I’ve got 5 multi sendors. None have updated.
It did check.

Version Published
Zigbee Id
Device Network Id 7429
Status ACTIVE
Hub Nh Hub
Group Family Room
Last Activity At 2016-12-03 11:46 PM EST
Date Created 2015-09-18 3:26 AM EDT
Last Updated 2016-12-01 11:25 AM EST
Data
endpointId: 01
Raw Description 01 0104 0302 00 07 0000 0001 0003 0020 0402 0B05 FC45 02 0003 0019
Firmware
Current Version: 0x10025100
Target Version: 0x10025100
Last Updated: N/A
Last Checked: 2016-12-03 9:56 PM EST
Current States
temperature: 70 F
humidity: 40 %
battery: 56

This looks like a Temp/Humidity sensor which doesn’t have a firmware update available yet. If there was an update available the target version would be different than the current version.

That is one of your multi sensors, which I thought you said have firmware updates.

Can you double check that you’re looking at one of the multi’s? The info you pasted in is definitely a Temp/Humidity sensor. I can tell because of the raw description 01 0104 0302 00 07 0000 0001 0003 0020 0402 0B05 FC45 02 0003 0019. The raw description for a multi sensor should look like this: 01 0104 0402 00 08 0000 0001 0003 0020 0402 0500 0B05 FC02 01 0019.

2 Likes

@tpmanley,

FYI. Ticket #286581 opened for me. I’ve have 11 zigbee devices drop since the firmware update where I needed to manually reset, including a couple Keen vents that I needed to visit twice. All have been GE bulbs, Iris motion sensors, Iris open/close sensors, and Keen vents.

What use to be a very stable zigbee mesh for me has been turned upside down. This is very concerning. Hub version 16.9

3 Likes

I’ve had a complete reversal of fortunes in regards to zigbee for myself. My non smartthings zigbee devices like orvibo seem to have become extremely reliable whilst my smartthings branded ones have become unreliable.

1 Like

I had issues but I took the advise from support removed the batteries and power for 30 minutes. It all came back to life except some camera’s, which I never got to work yet.

That’s what I’ve done in the past. It’s unfortunate that we have to do that. Things were working so well for such a long time for me until this particular firmware release.

So my hub has gone off line every day, at least once a day since the update. No particular time…

4 Likes

When you say offline do you mean reboots? I’ve been helping another user get to the bottom of random reboots he is seeing on his hub.

1 Like

Okay, I’ve thrown an upgraded motion sensor as a test into a small cardboard box.

Lo and behold in a couple of hours had two detected motions. Nothing to do with environmental conditions or heating come on etc @Aaron

I’ve now ended up was a smart home with smartthings motion sensors that’s constantly telling me there’s motion all over the house ever since the firmware upgrades!

1 Like