Hub Firmware Release Notes - OTA - 16.9 - V2

agreed… lets wait till after thanksgiving

Yep… precisely my point as well…
Supporting Windows ecosystem would be a big win for Smartthigs (Windows Mobile, PC, Xbox, Tablets…) imagine Smartthings tiles in Hololens (or the much cheaper and affordable Windows VR headset for 2017) ! that would be awesome!

see: Android 2.2.2 - Release Notes for my comments on that topic.

1 Like

Don’t take this as me being an ass, I’m curious what you would do with hololens and how often. I can’t think of how I would use it, but I also don’t have one?

1 Like

Hi Eric,

The Hololens is way beyond my wallet! but this is a cool gadget… and more for Smartthings Marketing…
For instance, you could imagine “pinning” some Smartthings control and value tiles to the wall of the room you are walking into and see the parameters and control related to that room next to your email, weather, news, video, all in augmented reality, etc… This is more of a future proof of concept / demonstrator (as anything Hololens currently!) But still pretty awesome.
I won’t be able to afford an Hololense. However, I will certainly consider the cheaper VR headsets for Xmas 2017 if the “windows 10 creative update” delivers on its VR promises!

Above all, I am interested in having a Windows 10 UWP app primarily to run on my Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 PC/Tablet… (having a large touch screen on the surface Pro 3/4 to configure and use Smartthings would be great). UWP app could natively integrate with Cortana as well (best voice AI recognition around… I am not a native English speaker and Cortana can flawlessly understand me whereas other (Alexa, Siri and google fail)!
I can also see a strong advantage for XBOX users would could access Smartthings as an app on their TV as part of the XBOX desktop… The XBOX One S, with 4K BlueRay and HDR native support, is quite attractive as a living room device …

1 Like

On the day my Hub was updated to the 16.7 Firmware, none of my ZigBee (Motion & Open/Close) devices were working. I had to go around removing and reinserting the batteries on each device for them to start working. 2 Open/Close sensors I had to exclude and reinstall to get them to work. Once done with that, everything seems to be working…

What zigbeeFirmware do you have? It should be either 2.3.4 or 2.1.11.

I too have had many failed zigbee devices since the firmware upgrade. I have reset almost all of them.

You mention the firmware should be either 2.3.4 or 2.1.11

Mine is zigbeeFirmware: 2.1.10 - How is this to be updated?

Thank you.

Only hubs that received the firmware update to 16.7 would be on 2.3.4 or 2.1.11. Hubs that are still on 15.8 will have a zigbeeFirmware version of 2.1.10. I believe your hub is in that second group. If you are having problems with either version please contact support so they can help. I’m particularly looking out for any ZigBee issues with 2.3.4 since I did a lot of work on that version.

ZigBee Firmware is at 2.34.

Any idea when the 16.7 update is being rolled out to other users like me that have the 15.8? I’m trying make sure I’m available during the scheduled update so that I can calm my better half down if anything stops working :slight_smile:

They said after Thanksgiving so probably next week sometime.

So is this fixed and will it be rolling out today?

1 Like

i think they are west coast, they are not even awake yet. lol with that said you can push mine today. I am working from home so if it goes wonky I can deal with it.

Push mine too, just completed last requirement for PhD in EECS and have lots of time to play around with any problems that arise… Plus im bored

1 Like

I am pretty sure there is a joke in there about the Fifth Harmony song.

What kind of devices do you have? Have you thought about building the newest, coolest SmartApp that takes the community by storm? I could really use a connected blender (which would also double as an alarm clock…) - just sayin…

1 Like

On top of all the normal things I have a bunch of random things I’m trying to integrate through various controllers/methods, my baby is my 2015 f150 fx4. I’m working on connecting Sync (well a slightly modified version… Kind of a sync/android hybrid) to ST so that presence, temperature, time, engine state, and a couple others can be used as triggers or be triggered. Device handler is about 1700 lines long and growing but I am able to connect without IFTTT channels or extra anything.

Also working on connecting Night Owl Cameras. Already have Arlo and with them plus skybell I was able to record all video to local media server using plex … which means no extra money for cloud services and I can view the clips right from ST

BUT…

The new firmware would be really helpful…
(Bluetooth would too!!!)

2 Likes

does this mean you can push it to me?

3 Likes

How did you get Arlo to record locally?

Brute force…sort of.
Initially I was checking for security vulnerabilities and stumbled across this. By gaining access to the the UDP-based RSTP stream that contains actual camera footage I was able to redirect it to my media server. I wrote an article on this but its based more on the vulnerability than the local storage work around.

An open source boot manager based on modified linux that requires no credentials to login allowing easy root access through BusyBox. When exploring you will find that when a factory reset is performed on system the default passphrase becomes 12345678 and a “random” SSID in the format “NTGR_VMB_<10 digit numbers>“.

loaddefault finished
Passphrase – 12345678
BurnPassphrase OK
SSID – NTGR_VMB_1462245431
BurnSSID OK

This operation is performed by an executable that is run on the system by default “/bin/vzdaemon”. The following disassembly shows the routine performs the passphrase and SSID reset operation – the SSID reset is based upon the current date and time of the systemAfter the factory reset, you can confirm that the wpa_psk and other values are reset to the default 12345678 string.

# nvram show|grep 12345
size: 25206 bytes (40330 left)
wl_wpa_psk=12345678
wl0_wpa_psk=12345678
wla_preset_passphrase=12345678
wla_passphrase=12345678

Then join the network
As you know the passphrase for this network, after collecting Wi-Fi packets from this network, decrypt the traffic to an unencrypted state which contained various JSON traffic between the base station and ARLO cameras. Beyond this basic communications traffic, capture RTSP traffic – this is a protocol that carries the images and video stream from the ARLO cameras.

To perform this Wi-Fi packet decryption, you need to capture Wi-Fi packets using monitoring mode. After that, generate PSK string using the wpa_passphrase tool from Linux. With the Wi-Fi packet dumps opened from Wireshark, select Edit -> Preferences -> Protocols -> IEEE 802.11 -> Edit menu and add the PSK generated from the previous command. With the Wi-Fi packet dumps opened from Wireshark, select Edit -> Preferences -> Protocols -> IEEE 802.11 -> Edit menu and add the PSK generated from the previous command. That will allow you to see the unencrypted connections between cameras and base. You will see various JSON traffic data, but on destination port 554 of the cameras, the base station actually sends RTSP requests.

From the RTSP protocol session, identify the UDP-based RSTP stream that contains actual camera footage, use example

SETUP rtsp://172.14.1.101/live/track1 RTSP/1.0
CSeq: 3
Transport: RTP/AVP;unicast;client_port=1038-1039
If-Modified-Since: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

RTSP/1.0 200 OK
CSeq: 3
Server: NgcRtspService/1.0
Date: Tue, Jul 16 2014 20:10:37 GMT
Transport: RTP/AVP/UDP;unicast;client_port=1038-1039;server_port=9418-
419;ssrc=1766339330;mode=play
Session: 1103527590;timeout=60
Content-Length: 0

From the list from UDP RTP sessions locate the matching session. Each UDP packets are sending RTP packets using standard RTP format.

I found that there is no easy or straightforward way to convert Wireshark PCAP data to a video file (MP4 file) and wrote a simple python script that functions as an RTSP and RTP server.

If I missed something let me know, that was a lot to write on my phone

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s all way over my head. I was hoping you came up with an app
of some kind that I could easily install. I did find an automated way to
download all videos daily to a local PC. That way I don’t have to pay the
subscription fees to archive videos.