Hub Firmware Release Notes - 25.26

Look like 25.26 will start being deployed tomorrow.
Let the whinnying begin about why I wasn’t notified or that I can’t opt out.

I got an email which is strange since they said they weren’t going to send emails anymore.

Pretty much we looked at people’s response, looked at it from the user’s perspective, and went “nope, that was stupid, we need to at least tell them where to look for updates going forward”.

16 Likes

I just got an email saying that there are no emails and to check the forum. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Haha, I didn’t read the bottom half. Here’s an email telling you we’re not going to send any more emails.

Still a bad move imho

3 Likes

Fix for Cree bulb issues that were introduced in 24.20 (IE: flashing, random on/off, etc)?

2 Likes

Thanks for the honest reply. But the status page should have been looked at too. As it was mentioned before by @KevinH , it is not sending always the email even being subscribed for all options.

I’ve had a support ticket about it, and took a few days to get it fixed. But happen since that again, email notifications were not delivered.

The only reason I came here was because if the “no more email” email’

This makes no sense at all. Especially for people I’ve set up with smartthings, they aren’t going to be reading forums. Me neither really.

I have to know about outages.

Please send an alert, not doing so makes no sense at all.

2 Likes

Wait, I’ve got to read the email again. I thought they said no more update email notifications, not outages. If outages are included, then someone must really hate their customer support, because they will be flooded with emails every time the cloud is coughing.

Edit. I read again the email and this is what it says (only firmware updates): “Hub update announcements for future releases will be available only in the community”.

Phew, no big deal, we have no control over it, so it’s actually better, what you don’t know, doesn’t hurt LOL

pretty sure you can Subscribe to Updates on the ST Status page to receive updates for both platform issues and firmware updates.

2 Likes

This seems to indicate you only get notifications for incidents, not planned updates. This also reflects my own experience since I did not receive my subscribed text or email notification when the planned updates message was posted. So literally the only way in the future to receive notice of a firmware update is to subscribe to this section of the forum and then turn on email notifications for the forum.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Jimmy!

There are options for notifications. For more info see
https://help.statuspage.io/knowledge_base/topics/scheduled-maintenance

Edit (after discussing internally):
Since all users were already being emailed this time, the decision was made to not also notify via the status page when the scheduled maintenance was created. In the future, I believe you should expect a notification when the scheduled maintenance is added to the status page moving forward so please do subscribe. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Is a firmware update going to be classified as an “incident” now? I saw nothing for subscribing to “scheduled maintenance” under the subscription options. I really feel like this is problematic. What happens when a home user, unaware of an ongoing update, reboots his/her hub in the middle of an update because it has stopped responding? Is that going to brick a hub? At least if we had a notification mail, we would know to expect it and not try to interrupt the update.

Seems obvious so i guess there is a good reason why this cant be done
Server pushed notification with a pop up in all working apps, just seems the most obvious

3 Likes

I just installed the WiFi version 3 hub about a month ago , its current firmware is

do these WiFi hubs need to be connected via Ethernet to get new firmware ?

Can we get more info on this issue " * Fix bug preventing manual control of GE/Jasco Zigbee in-wall switches and dimmers"?

I had my kids telling me they couldn’t manually control the light (ge zwave on/off, non plus model) a few weeks ago and assumed it was a faulty switch and swapped it out with a spare.

It was only an issue with the GE zigbee models.

They just need to be online (via Ethernet or Wi-Fi). If the LED is green then it should be in a state where the update could make it to the hub. We roll out updates over a time window so we can monitor for problems in any segment of the population and to avoid stressing any parts of the cloud infrastructure.

The update will download and apply in the background and once complete reboot to boot into the new image. This reboot usually results in 45-60 seconds for a V3 until it is fully back online and connected to the cloud. With every update, we do see a small number of hubs that do not come back online immediately – this is something we monitor closely and is usually due to network configuration issues (e.g. Rogue/Misbehaving DHCP server or poor Wi-Fi coverage) at that user’s location.

There’s an issue where in-wall switches will respond to commands from the app but are unresponsive to physical toggles. In my experience, power cycling the switch either with the airgap or at the breaker restored manual control. This fix should help prevent devices from entering this unresponsive state.

1 Like

I came home an hour ago to an offline hub. Nothing working, status LED off, unplugging and replugging didn’t help. Had to pull out the batteries in order to force a reboot and then it came back online. It seems to be on firmware 0.25 now. No email received whatsoever, had no idea this would happen today.

Astounding job, ST team. Not sure you could do a worse job if you tried.