Hub Firmware Release Notes - 24.20

WebCoRE is not supported on Hubitat because it’s very resource heavy. I would not be surprised if Samsung pulls the plug on it at some point as they transition to the new app and away from the legacy Groovy environment.

I don’t use WC. I do use Rule Machine, but write Groovy apps for any advanced automations.

3 Likes

I converted from WC to RM in my migration. The learning curve wasn’t bad…especially if you ever used the original CoRE. Biggest thing for me was learning the different terminology and realizing that sometimes it takes multiple rules to replicate the functionality of one piston. But with the exception of 2 edge cases (using webcore like a firewall/port forwarding service rather than true home automation), I was able to successfully migrate all of my automations.

I wasn’t 100% sure if making the move was the right thing to do at first, but reading threads like this one makes me happy I did. Totally worth it for reliability, and the local execution make precise automations possible where the cloud just can’t do it.

3 Likes

ST closed my ticket yesterday… Oh well, on my own on this issue until the next firmware release.

1 Like

At least they’ve responded. I have had a ticket open for about 4 weeks now with only one response asking me if I was still experiencing the issue. This is typical of Samsung’s piss-poor support they provide across all product lines.

I fixed the issue with my hub disconnecting… By moving half of my devices to Hubitat! :stuck_out_tongue: The rest will follow before the weekend then I’ll be done with this flakey, poorly supported platform once and for all.

1 Like

Mouth watering… I need to give this a try but I wonder if it will only replicate what I already have with the Zwave ToolBox.

3 Likes

This is a huge sticking point for me: I have two hubs in two homes about 1,500 miles apart. There’s no way in he11 that I can pull batteries, reset devices, or otherwise coerce a bricked network.

A year or two ago—back when SmartThings staff had the time/inclination to announce upcoming hub firmware updates here on the forum—I sent a PM to that staff member & he bumped my hub to the earliest group receiving updates so it would be done before I left several days later. Lucky, no issues. Still, I have that particular hub rebooting nightly, just in case it gets wedged and a reboot would help.

Alas, I can do nothing about ‘stuck’ Zwave devices. SOL, as it were… :frowning:

Me neither. I’ve stayed with Zwave only just to (hopefully) simplify troubleshooting. And I gave up my dream of more extensive home automation: it is just not ready for Prime Time.

FWIW. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Sadly, I’ve come to believe the remaining ST staff are simply in over their heads. As a software engineer & manager, I’ve seen so many cases over the years where the architects—who hold a systemic view of the software and hardware—depart for greener pastures. The folks who are pressed into service to fix bugs or add features don’t (and can’t be expected to) have the same depth of knowledge. Then you see new bugs introduced with every release—remember, regression testing (if it exists) gets pushed to the rear as management insists a release be made to meet some schedule upon which they are measured/evaluated.

Rinse, repeat.

Exactly the same thing will eventually happen to Hubitat, but some may find it a fun ride in the meantime. Sort of what SmartThings was in its youth.

Caveat Emptor :sunglasses:

5 Likes

My V2 hub received the update and will not stop blinking red. I’ve performed all resets and no change. My hub had been working fine until this update and now Samsung’s Customer Support will not replace it because it is 15 months since I made the purchase. They are telling me there is only a 12 month manufacture warranty. Even though Samsung bricked it with the update now I’m out of the investment I made trusting Samsung.

I have seen others report the same issue…

1 Like

Same exact problem! Samsung refusing to warrant what they broke. My V2 hub received the update and will not stop blinking red. I’ve performed all resets and no change. My hub had been working fine until this update and now Samsung’s Customer Support will not replace it because it is 15 months since I made the purchase. They are telling me there is only a 12 month manufacture warranty. Even though Samsung bricked it with the update now I’m out of the investment I made trusting Samsung.

tagging @Brad_ST

@SmartThings My V2 hub received the update and will not stop blinking red. I’ve performed all resets and no change. My hub had been working fine until this update and now Samsung’s Customer Support will not replace it because it is 15 months since I made the purchase. They are telling me there is only a 12 month manufacture warranty. Even though Samsung bricked it with the update now I’m out of the investment I made trusting Samsung. What is Samsung going to do to fix what they broke?

Here’s an interesting event log entry that happened @3:30AM TODAY:

This is interesting because this device was successfully excluded YESTERDAY @12:41PM:

I want to add that prior to excluding the device (remember, that was yesterday) that it was removed from all apps, including Alexa, but Alexa did not remove the device from “her” known list of devices. It showed up as OFFLINE in the Alexa app and website, and I had to manually remove it.

I’ve never seen this kind of zwave behavior before, but I have seen “ghost” devices resulting from forced deleted devices. In those cases, just the device ID was shown in the event log along with ghost events. In this case, ST still thinks I have a device with a name and device ID and ST is trying to ping/poll it.

I’ll reboot my hub and perform a zwave repair shortly, but this should not be happening if a good zwave mesh is to be managed and maintained.

FYI @SmartThings and @Kianoosh_Karami and @Brad_ST Ticket #660424

EDIT : hub event logs also sent just now.

EDIT : Post reboot. 1 day delay on deleting a device? Weird.

1 Like

Did you call SmartThings support or Samsung support? I called the latter and it did not end well… I was later informed the two are not the same and the latter was definitely not well informed on ST specific things. If ST bricked your device I find it hard to believe they will not take care of it. Also, often these devices have an alternative method to load firmware (even though it is not public) so they may be able to restore it.

Quoting a message from ST to me:

1-800-726-7864 is Samsung’s main support number in the US.
1-855-238-7339 is a number specific to SmartThings and ADT.

1 Like

I, on the other hand, after numerous experiences with Samsung support, find it very hard to believe they will have any interest in anything other than selling you a replacement. If past experience is anything to go by they will do everything they can think of to weasel their way out of accepting any responsibility.

I hope to be proved wrong.

Just had a bunch of zwave and zigbee devices show offline. When I test the switches, they are controllable, but don’t report their status to the hub. Seems weird both zigbee and zwave would have issues at the same time.

Expect the status page to be updated shortly; there’s an issue with the NA04 shard again :cry: causing a variety of issues.

UPDATE: SmartThings Status - Issues Pairing Devices and Delayed Device Control

3 Likes

Yep, I’m on NA04

It is surprising that Samsung management is still clinging to this foolish and often unreliable cloud dependency… Its driving up their costs and driving down customer satisfaction.

There have been brief periods of stability but in reality nothing has changed in the nearly 3 years I’ve been with ST. What is the definition of insanity again??

3 Likes

I never received a response from ST support. I was able to get an old Wink hub up and running and all the devices working on it. It’s a tradeoff; some features are better, but lack of customization. I will looking into open source options in the near future.

RB